What's new

Do I need to upgrade (1 Viewer)

mac66

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I currently have a 1080 HD projector to a 99" screen. This was set-up nearly 8 years ago. The AV receiver (B&K) does not have HDMI ports. This system currently uses RCA cables and the picture and sound are very good (Paradigm speakers). Will an upgrade to a new receiver and 25' HDMI cables be worth the cost for a potentailly improved picture/sound or am I good as is?

mac66

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks very much for getting back. The projector is about a year and a half old (Sanyo Z3000). What I'm gettting from my current A/V receiver is very good while just using RCA jacks to connect to the projector ( receiver does not have HDMI port). I'm wondering if the picture quality will improve enough if I upgrade my receiver to allow for an HDMI connection to make it worth the cost. Thanks again for your input

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by mac66

What I'm gettting from my current A/V receiver is very good while just using RCA jacks to connect to the projector

I'm assuming by "RCA jacks" you mean component video. Component can carry a 1080i video signal, which in many cases is virtually indistinguishable from 1080p, so no, you won't get a huge video improvement.

However, on the audio side of things, you very well could be missing out on quite a bit. Unless you have your Blu-Ray connected to your receiver with multichannel analog audio connections (one cable for each channel of audio) you're missing out on lossless audio on Blu-Ray.

To me, the audio improvements of Blu-Ray over DVD were much greater than I had anticipated. Improved clarity, dynamic range, etc.

If you want to get the best video AND audio from your system, you probably should consider upgrading the receiver to one that will enable you to realize the benefits of the newer technology.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have a receiver that is too old for hdmi, so I patch the video through hdmi to an hdmi switcher to the projectorand just use the receiver for audio. It requires setting two selections to choose the bluray player or my media computer, but it's kind of nice because I like to listen to diffeent music while watching video sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks