What's new

Do I have "Carrie" early or did they bump up the release date? (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I found a copy of the new Special Edition of Carrie today at our local independent record store...wasn't this supposed to come out on the 28th? Not that I'm complaining!

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Seems like a lot of B&M stores are getting really lax (or just brazen) lately when it comes to abiding by street dates.
I picked up CARRIE as well as DRESSED TO KILL, BLOW OUT, THE HOWLING, THE BEAST WITHIN, and INVADERS FROM MARS at a local store this last Tuesday (8/21). I've since seen them on the shelf at four other stores!
Seems like the only titles they won't give up early are the big-name new releases like HANNIBAL.
Kinda makes ya go hmmmmmmm... :)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Actually, on the contrary, I did pick up Hannibal early. Can't say where or when though. :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Most of those films were released earlier on DVD. Are you all sure you have got the newer releases?
frown.gif

Cees

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
All I can say about this subject is to tell the very worst story about getting a title before street date.
Dirty Dancing - Collector's Edition. It was due to hit in February 2000. I was anxiously awaiting it when I heard about it in Oct. 1999...a month after I bought my player!
Later on, the official release got moved up to Jan 18th, as my memory is validated by Image Entertainment's website.
However, I was shocked to see it sitting on the shelf of not one but two B&M retailers on November 6, 1999!!! I won't say who, of course, but I purchased it that day at the first place I saw it at for $19.95, only to see it later on that day in the mall-based store for five bucks more. My wife and I had to triple-check the back of the box to ensure that it was really the NEW version, and not a different-colored box of the old version, before making it #41 in our quickly-expanding (even then) DVD library!
Wow, I've never since seen not one but two places break street date by 2-3 months!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen.jpg

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Cees, this is definitely the latest Carrie...it has all the extra features that were mentioned in the DVD reviews that I've read: the bit on Stephen King, the bit on the ill-fated Carrie Musical, etc.
Also saw an early Forrest Gump at the same store!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks