What's new

Do fixed pixel projectors convert interlaced to non-interlaced? (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I can't seem to find information as to whether fixed pixel projectors such as LCDs or DLPs convert an interlaced signal to a non-interlaced signal by themselves. I would assume they do, but i have no proof.

I have an LCD projector and I run an S-Video signal to it for the time being (until i get some component cables) When I get really close to the screen and look at static images (ex. DVD menus), I notice that the image 'shakes' (vertically I think) for lack of a better term. The 'shaking' is really apparent when looking at a horizontal line somewhere on the picture, which could even mean the border between the movie picture and the black border on top or bottom of the picture. I assume this tells me the picture is interlaced because isn't the 'shaking' eliminated when viewing a progressive scan signal?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

If it is interlaced, you will see scan lines. Simple as that.

Every LCD and DLP projector I have seen will upconvert everything to progressive and fit its pixel array.

Regards

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I'm a little confused...

If the projectors upconvert the signal to progressive, you'll still see scan lines? Are the scan lines what causes the shaking?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Sometimes poor upconversion might be it ... but the image is still progressive.

Regards

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Fixed-panel displays are progressive in nature, so they either deinterlace for themselves or must be fed an interlaced signal from an outside source. Some units do it better than others.

RG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks