What's new

Do all DVD A discs come with a video track? (1 Viewer)

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
If you mean a DVD-Video layer that is mixed in either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS that you can play on any DVD player, then yes. If you mean video footage, there are a few commentaries and lyrics, not much else.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
The official WG-4 spec requires either a DD (any level from 1.0 to 5.1) track or a PCM track (anything from 16bit/44.1K to 24bit/96K).

Any title without this is out of spec.

There have been a few sampler discs of DVD-A that have been out of spec -- I have yet to see a regular title be out of spec.

Regards,

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The official WG-4 spec requires either a DD (any level from 1.0 to 5.1) track or a PCM track (anything from 16bit/44.1K to 24bit/96K).
Any title without this is out of spec.
That is the spec for DVD-Video discs. DVD-Audio discs actually have a different spec and I don't believe DVD-Video compatability is mentioned. Or that may be from like the 0.9 version of the DVD-Audio spec.
However, I think this is only a curious matter of semantics, as in practical reality DVD-V compatability has been included on every DVD-Audio disc that has been sold to the general public AFAIK.
John's post does make me wonder about the demo disc that came with my Technics DVD-A10.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
No, not all dvd-a tracks include motion video. I have seen dvd-a from about 4 different labels now and they are all different as to what they include. For instance, the only motion video on the DTS Entertainment Queen: A Night At the Opera is the music video of Bohemian Rhapsody. On DTS's release of Graham Nash's "Songs For Survivors", there is no motion video to speak of, but a cool slide show of Graham's own photography, playable on your dvd player or your computer. A disc from Silverline contained live performance pieces as well as an MTV video. Discs from AIX Records contain the actual live session used for all audio tracks. They all differ. DVD-A discs all have the potential for full motion video, that's a given. That's kind of the cool thing about DVD-A; labels are doing whatever they want and are not necessarily following a "Standard of Inclusions"

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
David,

You really need to clarify some of what you've written.

All of the full motion video is coming out of VIDEO_TS, which means it is DVD-Video content. You can play back this content on any DVD-Video player.

You cannot get full motion video for DVD-Audio content (which resides in AUDIO_TS). The audio bandwidth demands are too great. That's why you get a slide show with DVD-Audio on some titles.

Regards,

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
You're right, I didn't clarify that well enough. But then again, I wasn't talking about any video content within the DVD-A content. It gets kind of confusing that the MLP tracks are commonly referred to as DVD-A tracks, yet the disc overall is a DVD-A. I'm just saying that being a DVD, they all contain a video zone with which producers can do what they please. Sorry for the confusion.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
David,
No problem -- I understood exactly what you meant, but that doesn't mean everyone will :)
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks