DLP and line doubling

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Will, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Matthew Will

Matthew Will Stunt Coordinator

Say I buy a DLP projector. I asked in another thread if using a DVD player with 3:2 pulldown and line doubling will get rid of the rainbow effect. It was answered that it would not. Assuming this is true, does it also mean the 3:2 pulldown and progressive signals will not enhance the overall pq of the projectgor as well? When you buy a DLP projector is that the picture quality you'll have for life regardless of the signals you send into it? Matt

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It depends on the projector's built in deinterlacing capability. Some projectors have better deinterlacers than others, as do progressive DVD players. A projector with an inferior deinterlacer will benefit from a progressive scan DVD player with a superior one. But if the PJ has a good deinterlacer (Faroujda DCDi for instance) and decent scaling then feeding it a 480p signal from a DVD player would not be of much benefit.

3. Matthew Will

Matthew Will Stunt Coordinator

Well what I meant by my question was more along the lines of, does the DLP technology make it impossible to produce a better image? I am unsure of the technicality of how a DLP pj works but I was thinking that perhaps because of the spinning color wheel that certain electronic technologies would not work with the wheel. I just wasn't sure. How do I determine the quality of the deinterlacer in a pj? For example, how would the one be in the Infocus X1 be? Thanks. Matt