What's new

DLP and line doubling (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Say I buy a DLP projector. I asked in another thread if using a DVD player with 3:2 pulldown and line doubling will get rid of the rainbow effect. It was answered that it would not. Assuming this is true, does it also mean the 3:2 pulldown and progressive signals will not enhance the overall pq of the projectgor as well? When you buy a DLP projector is that the picture quality you'll have for life regardless of the signals you send into it? Matt

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It depends on the projector's built in deinterlacing capability. Some projectors have better deinterlacers than others, as do progressive DVD players. A projector with an inferior deinterlacer will benefit from a progressive scan DVD player with a superior one. But if the PJ has a good deinterlacer (Faroujda DCDi for instance) and decent scaling then feeding it a 480p signal from a DVD player would not be of much benefit.

When you buy a DLP projector is that the picture quality you'll have for life regardless of the signals you send into it? Matt
Any projector will look like crap if fed a crappy signal (e.g. analog cable TV). The best possible image is attained with a quality signal that matches the native resolution of the projector.

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Well what I meant by my question was more along the lines of, does the DLP technology make it impossible to produce a better image? I am unsure of the technicality of how a DLP pj works but I was thinking that perhaps because of the spinning color wheel that certain electronic technologies would not work with the wheel. I just wasn't sure. How do I determine the quality of the deinterlacer in a pj? For example, how would the one be in the Infocus X1 be? Thanks. Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks