What's new

DIY in-wall DVD shelving?? (1 Viewer)

paul koster

Agent
Since my room is small (12x17), there is little in the way of room to store the estimate of 750 cds and dvds combined in a storage cabinet along a wall and storing in a closet or some place else is not possible, I want to make shelves that would fit into a pocket in the wall. Since CDs are ~5.5 inches wide the shelves will be 6in wide. That means a beefy 2in moulding around the unit. I have searched for member HT rooms to see if anyone has done this, but to no avail.

So a question: Has anyone seen this done or have done it and if so, can you send me any lessons learned that might make this easier. I have access to a table saw and router to do the finishing work and I want to give it a shot.

I would like to use an unfinished wood i.e. maple or oak instead of MDF, but that means I also have to plane the wood down thinner than the 1 in that comes standard.

Here is a link to a unit that is hung on the wall but can in IMHO can be placed in the wall however I don't want to pay the money:
http://www.storeyourmedia.com/-472-c...solid-oak.aspx

Thanks in advance for any info

Paul

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I just finished building my built in which will house all my components. If I were doing a built in for DVD/CD storage I would use 3/4" oak plywood and wrap the edges with the veneer strips you can buy. You can sand and stain just as you normally would and you can still do some nice trim around the edges. For the shelves I would have some glass cut or use plexi glass to save space. Good luck and let us know how you did and what you decided on.

JamieG

Auditioning
I used 1" x 8" pine for my built in. I would definitely not use glass for the shelving though too much chance for a rattle from the glass.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
I recently made some inwall shelving. I placed my shelve units between the studs. good luck.

dgreen1069

Grip
Real Name
David
I just built some in-wall dvd shelves this weekend. It was a first for me and I think they turned out OK. I used 3/4 Birch veneer plywood to create shelves that are 41" wide. I made the shelves about 7" deep by 9" high. I wanted to leave extra room for non-standard dvd cases. If you have a table saw the job is easy. Rip the plywood sheets to your desired height....say 9". Then cut all your side pieces and back walls from the 9" cut sheets. The shelves are done the same way. Build the shelves like legos.....put down your bottom shelf, then attach the sides with the back already nailed and glued to the sides. The sides and back sit on top of the bottom shelf. Now the next shelf will sit on top of the sides and back you just installed. The setup is modular and is very strong. Each new shelf is sitting on top of the back and sides from the shelf below.

Dogg

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Erhardt
You can also get dimensional lumber (including Oak) at DIY stores like Home Depot / Lowes. And typical 1x8xwhatever (thickness x width x length) isn't really 1 inch thick. The 1 inch is the rough cut before drying and finishing. The actual dimensions would be 3/4x7 3/4xwhatever (whatever being 4, 6, 8, 10 foot - varies by store).

I prefer using actual lumber and not messing with veneer. Plus, you can router the edges if you don't won't them square.

selkec

Grip
Real Name
chris
dgreen...How did you get the drywall cut so straight. Your shelves butt up right against the drywall and it looks great. I made a built in for my components but I had to frame it in with molding/trim to hide the imperfections.

dgreen1069

Grip
Real Name
David
I think you are talking about Delray's post.....I didn't post any pictures. His looks great though.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a closeup where the drywall meets the shelf unit. Shelves are 1x6 (3/4X 5 1/2 actual size) Side and rear panels are 1/4 inch plywood. sides are ripped to 6 inches, which makes them 1/2 wider than the shelves. This makes room for the 1/2 outside corner to cover the drywall and side panel edge. The shelf unit itself is made to fit in between the studs. and Sorry for the big pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks