Come see all my DIY stuff! (sub, flexy, etc)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by tom_furman, Sep 2, 2003.

1. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

I got all these ideas from you folks and I've just been too lazy to take pics, but here we are.

My flexy rack. Used (3) 6' threaded rods, 3/4" thick. The laminated shelvles came from Home Depot. Very sturdy and I love the fact that it is adjustable. I've had to add more shelves quite a few times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for my Tempest sub. I used 20" sonotube, 3/4 MDF, a PE grill, PE 250 plate amp (all the normal goodies) I took the extra time to make the gill and amp flush. well worth it. Just need to make the sock, but once again I'm too lazy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And finally my cd/dvd wall unit. Simple enough.
    [​IMG]

Questions, comments?

Thanks again, Tom

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

is it just the angle or is the flexy not level? looks like the lower left is really low.

The top of your tempest is really nice

3. tom_furman

it's just the crappy pics i took. i had it pulled away from the wall to do some tinkering when i took the pics. and the way i bent over for the photo makes it look all crazy. i put a level on each shelf to make sure when i tightened the screws

4. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Way to take away from MY accomplishments [​IMG] jp, jp

Your projects look gorgeous, and I must say, you have a huge rack [​IMG] The sub is very nice...but I was wondering exactly how tall that was, and what you have it tuned to?

5. tom_furman

to be honest joe i built it last fall so i'd have to look up the specs, but if i remember correctly it should be tuned to 20-22hz. it stands roughly 60" tall, 6" port, etc.(it had to be a bit taller due to the enclosed amp)

i made templates for all the cuts so when i get a bigger room i'll make it a twin. [​IMG]

6. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

How did you paint the top on your Tempest? it looks great.[​IMG]

7. tom_furman

I used a very high tech method to get that finish - spray paint!

I covered the whole thing in a nice heavy coat, then sanded it down. Put a lighter coat of paint on, then sanded it LIGHTLY. One final coat of spray paint and it was done!

Of course i wont mention the 3 times I goofed it up and had to take my power sander to the whole thing and start over :b