What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DIY car gurus emergency brake help.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Replaced my rear passenger side brake rotor on my 05 Subaru Outback. To do so, I had to use a pretty long M8 bolt to back the rotor out of the hub because the emergency brake (drum type) was tight to the rotor and getting the adjustment nut was a PIA. Eventually when I got the rotor off, I could easily turn the e-brake shoe nut adjustment to loosed the shoe so I could put the new rotor on easily.

I always thought that there is one rear wheel that has the emergency brake shoe on it, not both, but I think I recall trying to change my rotor in the rear driver side and encountering the e-brake shoe that didn't want to come off... So I thought I'd be in the clear with the passenger side one... not!

Anyway, I have to replace the driver side one tonight and I guess I'll have to see if I can have better success with that one. Did mfgrs switch to having the e-brake lock both the rear wheels sometime ago or have I just been incorrect in my thinking?

Also, do any of you know if I have to reverse the logic in loosening the e-brake shoe? for the passenger side, by using a screwdriver and turnnig the nut down towards you, this loosens the shoe, turning the nut up and away tightens the shoe. However, for the driver side shoe, is this logic reversed? Should I be turning the nut up and away to loosen?

Jay

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The car goes in the direction you steer it. That is the extent of my knowledge, sorry :frowning:

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It has been a while since I have worked on my brakes, but I believe on the pick-ups I worked on each side was reversed from the other. I would stick a screwdriver above the ratchet wheel to disengage it, then use another to turn the ratchet wheel from the bottom.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Dagnabit, to release the e-brake adjustment nut, BOTH the driver and passenger side nuts release the same way, you use a screwdriver to push the bottom of the nut away! I did the driver side last night and after spending 5 minutes with a screwdriver and rubber mallet, I tried the bottom of the nut and that released the e-brake shoe... I'd wish they made that access hole a lot bigger!!! What a PITA, either that, I need a car lift. Fortunately, I was able to back out the rotor from the hub enough that I could wedge my little minimaglite between the dust shield and the rotor to hold it so I could see what the hell i was hitting...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks