What's new

Disturbing Movies (What Creeped You OUT?) (1 Viewer)

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
The Innocents from 1961. The scene in which a ghost appears at the window creeped me out to no end. (Hell, just thinking about it still creeps me out now!)

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
The underwater shots in What lies beneath still haunts me. The DVD is looking at me from it's spot in my personal movie library, but I don't know if I will ever have the guts to put it on again. I'm a whimp, I know... :)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I'll tell ya another movie that freaked me out, and I'm sure every other man who saw it agrees.
The very first time you saw Basic Instinct and that opening scence when she's on top. At first your all into it like ooo,la,la.....then she whips out that knife. OH MY GOD every guy in theater started screaming like a woman. LOL!!!

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I know somebody already mentioned it but Pink Flamingoes is truly disturbing. Especially when you know that all the stunts are real...
killing a chicken, eating dog crap and other stuff I don't even want to remember.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to add FRAILTY, just because there are probably people out there with that mind set! :eek:

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Err... What about David Lynch's Blue Velvet? Dennis Hopper convinced me that he could do crazy in that movie.
Most of Lynch's stuff seems to leave disturbing and uncomfortable images in my head. Even Dune which was basically a scifi movie directed by Lynch - had some disturbing imagery. Lynch, I feel, is an auteur who can REALLY get under your skin.
Anyway, I will have to check out David Cronenberg stuff. Can't watch scary stuff alone - I really am a wuss.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Woo Jae, that David Lynch offers something disturbing in about everything he has ever done, including Twin Peaks.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Some faves:
The Shining - I remember seeing the trailer for this with the blood coming out of the elevator when I saw Star Trek: TMP the first time. I had nightmares for years about that.
Se7en - I was nearly speechless when I saw it for the first time in the theater.
Audition - Very unsettling.
Last House On The Left - 'Nuff said.
John.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I watch a lot of movies, and it would have to be Henry: Portrait of a serial killer. That movie was way to real for me, and provided a blue print for someone to duplicate his efforts. I can't imagine wanting to watch that one again.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
HENRY! Oh shoot! I forgot that I actually shut that thing off, it affected me that much! Of course, I think seeing Michael Rooker in it now, especially after seeing him in MALLRATS, the movie wouldn't bother me as much. I think.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
People talking about Henry (which I haven't seen) has forced up a memory of a serial killer-type movie I once saw on late night TV (HBO or Cinemax or something like that). I didn't catch the beginning and didn't have a TV Guide to tell me what it was. I've heard enough about Henry to know that's not what it was. It also didn't have any "name" b-movie stars that I knew (talking Gary Busey types).

It seemed to be very inspired by Henry Lee Lucas (though I didn't know about him at the time I saw the movie) because there were two main guys killing people, and at one point they traveled with a woman.

In one scene they're in a semi, the kind with the sleeper cab. Main guy stops to pick up a hitchhiker and after she's settled in, the other guy lunges out from the sleeper and kills her.

In another scene the main guy is just about to kill a man who's given them a ride, while he fixes a flat tire. I think a cop car pulls up close and they decide not to. I think that same guy takes them home with him and lets them live in a detached house/cabin.

The two main scenes that REALLY disturbed me are...

I'm gonna put these in spoilers because they are very bad.

The two guys go to a woman's house to fix something. Then they tie her up to the bed, face down. Main guy grabs some cold cream or something for lubrication, rapes her anally, then the other guy slits her throat. I SWEAR, this was on TV!

And the other:

They bring a woman home (bound and gagged) and one wields a chainsaw while the other carries her in. They tie her to a chair...next I remember a woman (housekeeper?) coming into the cabin while no one is there, pulling back the curtain on the bathtub, which is filled with gory body parts.

I mainly want to know what this is so I know what I'm dealing with wrt these scenes. I don't know why I watched it in the first place. I think I was just paralyzed with horror. Give me monsters and aliens and vampires and spooks galore and I'll enjoy and laugh while peeking through my fingers, but real life sadistic sex killers really DO scare the crap out of me, because they actually do exist.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I recently watch Brian DePalma's Sisters and found it to be very disturbing. Just the basic plot is creepy. Margot Kidder's excellent performance really surpised me. I haven't seen her play anyone other than Lois Lane.

Stephanie T.

Stunt Coordinator
One very hard-bitten western, from the late '60's:
Duel At Diablo, which deals generally with violence, racism, cruelty, and other harsh realities of the Old West, and in which Dennis Weaver[?] is captured by the Apache[?], who tie him to a wagon wheel over a fire, and s-l-o-w-l-y burn him all night long. In the morning, the white settlers reach him, and Weaver begs to be put out of his misery. One lets him use his gun, so he still has to shoot himself.
Also -- Johnny Got His Gun; The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane; The Virgin Spring & its remake, The Last House on the Left; Alien Resurrection; Psycho (esp. the final shot); Baby Doll (hey, juvenile sexuality bothers me, esp. where Karl Malden is involved); Suddenly, Last Summer (what a stupid, offensive, over-the-top ending!); Midnight Express; Bad Taste; Blue Velvet; A Handful of Dust; The Night of the Living Dead; The Comfort of Strangers; Saving Private Ryan; and the nuclear-apocalypse movies "On the Beach," "The Day After," and "Threads".

ToddMS

Stunt Coordinator
I am surprised to see only 1 or 2 mentions of Cannibal Holocaust - this movie, by FAR, is the most disturbing movie imaginable. Any film with actual animal killings, and "fake" castration and cannibalism must be at the top of any Disturbing Movie list. To top off the images is the soundtrack with that utterly primal bad C grade movie feel to it...this one freaks me out. Only movie I cannot bring my self to even ATTEMPT to watch again. Cannibal Holocaust makes Requiem for a Dream or Hannibal look tame in comparison....

Todd

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is definitely disturbing, but it is a film I can, and do watch constantly, and is one of the 10 best horror films of all time in my opinion. Disturbing is good in a film if you ask me, because that means the film is very effective, and I easily watch disturbing films over and over again. I can't wait for the Grindhouse DVD! I love CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, but I must admit, I despise the animal killings. :angry:
HENRY is another film I can watch constantly. Thats why I own the DVD, and hell, I just watched it the other night. Very good film!
Another truly disturbing film that I don't think has been mentioned here, is MEN BEHIND THE SUN. Very disturbing, gruesome, and realistic. I hate the cat/rats scene!

Herm C

Stunt Coordinator
Lucio Fulci's New York Ripper is also disturbing for its.....explicit nipple-cutting scene.

Another film in the same vein as Henry is Maniac.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
Lars you beat me to it......"What Lies Beneath"

I'm really a wimp when it comes to scary movies, and this one gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I slept with the light on after this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks