What's new

Disturbia, Top Gun, Jack Ryan Collection Blu-Ray & HD DVD Late Summer/Fall (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
True. At least with Fox though, you know going in. Many people reportedly sold off their old dvds because they thought the special features would be included and many are pissed.

:frowning:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The packaging snafu is really annoying. I don't mind buying something if I know going in that I am getting limited material (I bought RoboCop), but false advertising gets my goat.

For all those who buy Sony releases - for the last year and a half they have had ZERO packaging issues. The reason why? Because they outsourced their packaging QC.

In other words, you have my co-workers to thank. :)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
If I sold off my old dvds to buy the HD DVDs thinking they included the special features and I enjoyed the special features on the dvds, then I might be pissed too. As it stands, I am disappointed that several of the studios (regardless of format) are giving us nothing as far as extras. I would be more understanding if the extras didn't exist already.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
UNBELIEVABLE.

Paramount has really been a GRAND disappointment when it comes to HD-DVD save for Transformers. No good 4th qtr catalog titles, discs shipping with no special features which should have them, and an announced 2008 commitment (30 + titles?) which seems lukewarm at best for a major studio. I am really starting to question if Paramount/Dreamworks exclusivity will actually help HD-DVD or hinder it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I just sent Paramount PR an email asking about the discrepancy between the discs and what was listed on the cases. She said that they will look into it.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
This set may be going off of my Christmas list....was there ever an official press release about this set?

Manus

Second Unit
Amazing cock-up really , especially considering the 1-month delay ! Hd-Dvd is scoring some terrible own goals revently . Its bad enough that I can buy Region Free Hd-Dvd from anywhere but if I buy a combo set , the Sd-Dvd is unplayable for me here in Europe without a 2nd player , but now I have a set shipping that doesn't have the advertised contents and I probably wont get payback ! And their 'Quality Control' sucks ! Did anyone bother to test these discs ????????

~M~

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Hmmm... I thought Paramount said that there were too many production issues with Blu-Ray as a major reason for dropping support for that format. Looks like the only problem here is of an incompetent studio looking for excuses to cover up their sellout. How can the whole production chain fail to notice the ommission of the special features? Does no one even try the discs atleast once to see if things are working as they are supposed to?

Anyhow, these were the only titles I had been looking forward to on Blu-Ray from Paramount until they soldout and went HD-DVD exclusive, in the end it looks like it did not really matter, since I would have returned the set anyhow due to the lack of the extras.

EDIT:
I was seriously considering buying a HD-DVD player and this set was one of the primarily incentives to do so. Although there are still a couple of Warner titles out on HD-DVD that I want, but it looks like Warner might be releasing them soon on Blu-Ray anyhow. Thus I am not too sure I want to invest in a HD-DVD player anymore, atleast not yet, that is.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Guess you don't have to worry then. I personally will wait for the comments on what happened before making any judgement. We will see if they own of the the problem quicker than Disney with the POC framming fiasco.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
What is going on with Paramount (Jack Ryan)? I sincerely hope that this is just bad pressing or something and the "correct set" with extras is released.. In the meantime, they won´t get my money.

I haven´t got the films on DVD, so extras are even more important this time..

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I am with you there. I have cancelled my order until some clarification from Paramount comes down. Is this a typo on the package, or a pressing problem.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I just cancelled my Amazon order for Jack Ryan also just to be safe. Let's see what Paramount does to fix this (I'm guess it's just a packaging error).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

It would be a typo or authoring problem. Either way I liked your earlier comment about giving Paramount a chance to respond. It hasn't even been officially released yet.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Apparently the recently released BD of "From Hell" has all the supplements.
So Fox is at least getting better, paramount's now getting worse.
They going exclusive were one of the reasons I went neutral.
We were all better off when they were neutral.
I expected more from them. You can't just rush to defend every studio with, "Yeah? Well FOX charges...for.."
It gets old.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
They put SOME extras on Day After Tomorrow at least, not the full complement from the 2-disc set, but more than the original 1-disc release. Remember, that was when they first came up with that scheme of going 1-disc for the initial release, 2 a few months later at a premium price. That's when DVD went downhill for me. I hate the 2-version scheme that exists even now with Transformers, and Warner had been doing if for a long while. 1-disc barebones at a normal price, 2-disc version with extras for a bunch more than you ever paid for SEs before. (Though somehow I scored Batman Begins 2-disc cheaper than the single disc was going for online.) Paramount was actually one of the studios that kept up 2-disc releases at the low price. WB too.

Looks like Fox loaded up Silver Surfer nicely, and the new releases are actually in stores cheaper than the older titles. E.g. Silver Surver 29.99 at CC, Fantastic Four still $34.99. Though the retails (and some online prices) remain the same.

You can't win. Most (not so much new releases) WB titles are the cheapest, but tend to have the poorest video quality IMO. Anyone enjoying their banding on their Nip/Tuck opening credits? Thanks for that low bitrate, WB!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

..and "The Fly", "28 Days Later", "28 Weeks Later", "Hills Have Eyes 2"..

I´m sure Fox has selected releases with no extras, but I guess it´s more like MGM which is the real blame here. And now it seems that Paramount is quickly taking the 2nd price..

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yep, my review copy has extras (a lot of them for Sum of All Fears) advertised on the back of each case, but there are none on the discs. Haven't heard anything to follow up from Paramount. I'll ask my contact there if there's any word on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks