What's new

Disturbia, Top Gun, Jack Ryan Collection Blu-Ray & HD DVD Late Summer/Fall (1 Viewer)

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
Axelmusic.com have a pic of the technical specs of the Jack Ryan set:

Dolby TrueHD listed.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Baffling. New films get stuck with DD+ while old films get the lossless love. Does this mean they'll be bare-bones ala Top Gun?

I was planning to get this set but decided to wait until the films are available individually.

Hunt For Red October is really the only one I want to own. I enjoy the two Ford flicks but never had the desire to rewatch them when I owned the DVD's but I'd almost pay more to not have the Afflick film included.

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
Exactly the same situation here. :D Well, okay, I don't yet even own a HD DVD player, only the PS3.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well that's good to hear.

Now I just have to wait until they're released separately.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
Good to hear these aren't bare bones. Hunt for Red October is the only one i'd want to get, so I'll wait until the seperate releases...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Hmmmmmmmmm I guess this is another set I won't be buying. Thats okay I'm going to be spending plenty of money with Blade Runner, Close Encounters, Star Trek, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Aviator, That’s Entertainment, Meet the Robinsons, Battle of Britain, Cars, The Pixar Shorts, Ratatouille, Die Hard, Red Dawn, Ronin, Tremors, The Omega Man, Battlestar Galactica, The Bourne Ultimatum, Harry Potter, Zodiac......not to mention the SD Looney Tunes volume 5.

Damn I need to take out a loan.

Doug

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Red October is among my top 20 films of all time and this purchase is a no brainer for me. Having owned the vhs, 3 different laserdiscs, 2 dvd editions,....I kind of like this film. :)

The other two are good too. Didn't care for Affleck...

I have fond memories of 1994-95 when my HT rig really started coming into it's own and going to Incredible Universe in Dallas. (almost every day). They had some great demo rooms with that legendary ambush sequence in Clear & Present Danger in glorious Dolby Surround AC-3. :). Terrific impact and those rooms were always packed during the weekends.

To have the chance to own these in 1080p High Definition is a real treat. With or without extras, I'm ALL over this.

I'm getting goose bumps already thinking about that Russian men's chorus singing during the credits. Wow.

htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
:cool:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Oh brother. Barebones again? Nothing like paying more for less content. :rolleyes:Seems Paramount has fallen into an ugly pattern here.

new release = extra's but no lossless track
catalog title - barebones with a lossless track

I'm starting to dread that they'll give the same half-assed treatment to Braveheart, the Trek films, Apocalypse Now, etc. The really sad part about all of this is that there probably won't be much criticism of this and even worse there will probably be a chorus of "extra's don't matter" to go along with the "DD+ is good enough" spin.

So those of us who want the most out of these formats will keep getting the same old same old because they'll think everyone is just happy as a clam to get shortchanged like this. Great.

"And it just goes on and on and on and onnnnnnnnnnnnnn"

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
This is total BS Paramount!
I think people are missing the point here....this set should have extras! It's not like "Top Gun" where they just decided not to put any on there. This was billed at Collectors Edition and the packaging says that extras like commentaries and cast/crew interviews should be there. Did they just forget????? WTH??????????????
Full out assault on Paramount come next Tuesday!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
True, but at least they don't falsely advertise special features that aren't there on the actual packages.
You know going in what you're getting.

:)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Regardless of the studio, this is a bit annoying and has caused me to revise my planned purchases. I will end up just renting many of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks