What's new

Display's...The more I read the more confused I'am! (1 Viewer)

Stiffy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
You guys have steered me in the right direction more than once ....so here goes....I have a Sony 52" display.. what we used to call AG gain is going out on it (you notice it in very dark scenes)..I also have an oppo BDP 103 4K and 3D capable, (great $ spent) A Yamaha A-830 AVR with 4k and 3D passthrough, and SVS 101s with an svs 12"sub, an Emotiva XPS3 Amp for my front soundstage. .....I now need to buy a new display for this system ...I would like to go 65" .......the problem, I'am willing to spend 2-2500$ on a display that will last me 5+ years, I dont need all the "smarts" as that is redundant with what I have, but I can't find a decent display without them. Question 1: is 4k going to be adopted will there be more content and will HDMI work for it, even if the present version is not ideal? 2: Does 3D work well in a home enviorment? and 3: what would you do and why?
I hope i get some good responce All I want to do is buy a TV that wont be obsolete in 1 year.
Sincerely,
Stiffy

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would buy whatever plasma you can find, NIB or floor sample.

There are still plenty of the F5500/F8500 60/64" Samsung around.

It is the Panny ST/GT/ZT that are hard to find.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Stiffy said:
You guys have steered me in the right direction more than once ....so here goes....I have a Sony 52" display.. what we used to call AG gain is going out on it (you notice it in very dark scenes)..I also have an oppo BDP 103 4K and 3D capable, (great $ spent) A Yamaha A-830 AVR with 4k and 3D passthrough, and SVS 101s with an svs 12"sub, an Emotiva XPS3 Amp for my front soundstage. .....I now need to buy a new display for this system ...I would like to go 65" .......the problem, I'am willing to spend 2-2500$ on a display that will last me 5+ years, I dont need all the "smarts" as that is redundant with what I have, but I can't find a decent display without them. Question 1: is 4k going to be adopted will there be more content and will HDMI work for it, even if the present version is not ideal? 2: Does 3D work well in a home enviorment? and 3: what would you do and why?I hope i get some good responce All I want to do is buy a TV that wont be obsolete in 1 year.Sincerely,Stiffy
Stiffy First let me apologize for the useless juvenile squabble that broke out in response to your straightforward question. I've hidden those posts.For those posters: Stop It. Stiffy:Plasma was generally recommended as the best quality, especially at the $2500 range, unless you're watching in a brightly lit room or in the daytime. But Plasma failed in the marketplace and is basically unavailable. If you are an enthusiast and find a leftover or clearance model, buy it. LED LCD have improved a great deal in recent years, and for normal people, look great. If you're a finicky enthusiast, you may pick up on its deficiencies compared to Plasma. But what I've seen and read, a $2500 LED-backlit LCD TV will be a great set.4k is not standardized yet. Any purchase makes you an early adopter, and at risk of the TV being unable to whatever 4k material standards that emerge in the next year or two.OLED is the Next Big Thing all the plasma fans are hoping for. But they're still expensive. (My editorial, OLED has been here-next-year for 20 years. I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath)There's the Front Projector option. Compared to a TV, they're a lot more work. But you can get 120" display for e pice of a nice 60-80".My personal, not especially informed opinion, is that every TV that sells for $2000+ From a major brand is a quality set that will make you very happy for the next 3-5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks