What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (3 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I really regret paying for several years of this service.

I don't watch it at all.

The same with Apple TV+

Once the "draw" shows are done, there's nothing left to be excited about -- particularly for those of us that have huge movie collections at home.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

I don't watch it at all.

The same with Apple TV+

Once the "draw" shows are done, there's nothing left to be excited about -- particularly for those of us that have huge movie collections at home.

I have long been a cheerleader around here of rotating subscriptions, which is what I do.

I feel like I watch as much content as anybody else yet my monthly streaming bill is never higher than $15 and some months it's as low as $6...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I don't watch it at all.

The same with Apple TV+

I have occasionally been watching episodes of The Clone Wars, as I never saw that series in the past. Otherwise, I have not used the service since Mandolorian finished. However, I have not had time to watch much of anything for the past few months. My mother has been staying with us, but she moves into her own place today, so hopefully I will have some time to catch up on a backlog of purchases and can also watch a few things on this service.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have long been a cheerleader around here of rotating subscriptions, which is what I do. I feel like I watch as much content as anybody else yet my monthly streaming bill is never higher than $15...

Yes, and that is where I made a mistake.

I paid for 2-3 years upfront. You can't put the subscription on hold or cancel.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I see that "Splash" has been edited for content, and the rating has been changed from PG to PG-13.

Disney + can do whatever they want with the content they offer. It is their "family friendly" streaming service, it just reminds me of watching movies on cable TV. I'm really glad I have the (uncut) Blu-Ray which I think is the last home video version on disc that will ever be available.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, and that is where I made a mistake.

I paid for 2-3 years upfront. You can't put the subscription on hold or cancel.
At the under $4 per month price I got for paying up front for three years of service, I am not losing any sleep over not using it very much. I went into this with the idea that I would have three years to evaluate how much I used the service, and I am only four months into that evaluation period. If I continue to use it very little over the next 32 months, I will not renew. However, I will know that I gave the service a very fair evaluation.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I don't watch it at all.

The same with Apple TV+

Even though you save money, I will never do a streaming sub annually again. I just get Disney + (and all the other popular streaming services alternating) for a month at a time. The only service I have annually is Amazon Prime, but that is for the cheap, quick shipping to fuel my physical media needs. The streaming part is just a bonus in my way of thinking.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Even though you save money, I will never do a streaming sub annually again. I just get Disney + (and all the other popular streaming services alternating) for a month at a time. The only service I have annually is Amazon Prime, but that is for the cheap, quick shipping to fuel my physical media needs. The streaming part is just a bonus in my way of thinking.

Yeah, I am learning.

Could have gotten the service for a month, binge-watched MANDALORIAN, and have been done with the channel.

Always learning...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I am learning.

Could have gotten the service for a month, binge-watched MANDALORIAN, and have been done with the channel.

Always learning...

I had Netflix for 3 solid years, and probably watched less than 20 hours of content. I actually forgot I was subscribed to it toward the end, and then cancelled abruptly when I realized I was paying them for the privelage of having a service I no longer wanted, or used.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Wow! You guys sure make my regular cable subscription look attractive! I get dozens and dozens of HT channels, and record far more than I ever get around to watching all for the same basic price. What you have is pay TV. When I occasionally miss a show, it’s “on demand”.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wow! You guys sure make my regular cable subscription look attractive! I get dozens and dozens of HT channels, and record far more than I ever get around to watching all for the same basic price. What you have is pay TV. When I occasionally miss a show, it’s “on demand”.

In the U.S., you can get Disney+ with Hulu and ESPN for $13 a month. Add Netflix with 4K for $17 and it's a total of $30 a month. You can quit any time with no penalty, then resubscribe whenever you want to, as your needs change. Try that with cable. ;)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Hollywood Reporter has a good, in-depth look at the creative problems plaguing Disney+'s original content.

Apparently Disney+ was originally pitched to the creative talent as being targeted to a wide age range, everything from G all the way to the edgiest boundaries of PG-13. Then, when episodes started coming back, the executives got squeamish about anything that they wouldn't be comfortable airing on the Disney Channel. It's why two of the shows jumped to Hulu, and why the showrunner was fired from the Lizzie McGuire adult continuation.

Freed from the day-to-day priorities that come with being CEO, Bob Iger's focus during his final months as chairman will be straightening out the content pipeline at Disney+ and helping better define the brand.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

While that video deals only with the problems of Disney+ with regard to their skittishness with original content, my main issue with the service is how that skittishness is affecting classic movies and shows. So much is “modified for content” and I’m beginning to think that the reason they have been so slow to add any more vintage (Walt-era) movies is because they need to have a content committee comb through everything and make decisions on what is acceptable and what is not. Good grief!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope that they ultimately just come up with a combo Hulu and D+ service where maybe one flat fee gets both - not that you get Hulu for a discount but that the sole product is Disney+Hulu. Then you put the Disney Channel age appropriate stuff on D+, the rest on Hulu, it’s separate apps so your little ones don’t accidentally play Hellraiser on D+, teens and adults can find what they want on Hulu, and it’s all part of the same package so there’s no concern about shows not being good fits. Let the showrunners follow the story wherever it goes, and then decide afterwards which platform to serve it up on.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s also weird to me that the bundle is for commercial free D+ but Hulu with commercials. We already have commercial free Hulu in our house so the bundle as currently offered would be a step down in terms of quality of service.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I wish there was a bundle with just Disney+ and Hulu, without having to pay for ESPN's streaming service too.

here are currently 4 such packages without ESPN, although you don't get a price break:

Hulu and Disney+ $12.99
Hulu (no ads) and Disney+ $18.99
Hulu, Live TV, and Disney+ $61.99
Hulu (no ads), Live TV, Disney+ $67.99

It’s also weird to me that the bundle is for commercial free D+ but Hulu with commercials. We already have commercial free Hulu in our house so the bundle as currently offered would be a step down in terms of quality of service.

C5B558CF-BDD6-4C9E-BAA3-A406E41F80F6.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks