What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's "wildly unrealistic" to not have an interface butt into content, which takes extra work for them to do in the first place? And why would you NOT want an uninterrupted experience, or at least the option for one?

When Netflix streaming started, their interface was very basic, with all videos playing from start to finish. The picture quality wasn't the greatest but that was more of a limitation of the technology than someone's deliberate decision. And you do realize they have lost a few subscriptions because of the automatic trailers that play while browsing? I don't think I'd personally have an issue with that, but I'm not going to disparage anyone complaining about that. I never get those who have to say "doesn't bother me!"
In fairness, those people who state "it doesn't bother me" have the same rights to express that opinion as those that "do complain about it". However, I do agree with you that the former doesn't need to disparage the latter for "being bothered by it". It's been my experience that people take the contrary POV much too personally and thus, they lash out at those that don't share same thought process.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I agree Robert.

I’m in the it doesn’t bother me camp.
If anything it’s a minor inconvenience as usually anything I’m watching on these services As soon as an ep is over I’m ready for the next one which I see as uninterrupted and if there’s anything I need to see on the credits it’s easy enough to look it up.

Also if you’re in the it bothers me enough to cancel it side then that’s your Prerogative and no one should chastise you for thinking that way.

plus I just learned that the correct spelling of prerogative has that R there after the P.
I’ve been spelling it and pronouncing it wrong forever.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
plus I just learned that the correct spelling of prerogative has that R there after the P.
I’ve been spelling it and pronouncing it wrong forever

I went through the same thing this week with sherbert and sherbet. It's like everything I thought I knew has been a lie.

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Sherbert. Sherbet, pronounced "SHER-but," is the usual word for the frozen sweet dessert made from fruit or fruit juices. Sherbert, with an additional r in the second syllable and pronounced "SHER-bert," is less commonly used. In Britain, sherbet is a sweet powder used to make a drink bubbly or eaten by itself.”
upload_2020-1-26_18-47-16.png

Merriam-Webster › words-at-play

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's "wildly unrealistic" to not have an interface butt into content, which takes extra work for them to do in the first place? And why would you NOT want an uninterrupted experience, or at least the option for one?
Why do I want this? Easy: I'm bingeing a series. I really don't need to see 30 seconds of all the international alternate voice actors. Every. Single. Time. I don't care to see the credits at all. Give me the Skip to Next episode button so I can get on with my viewing.

Why does Netflix, et al want this? Presumably because they've done A:B testing and found that more people keep watching more shows with this feature than without. Or at least Netflix almost certainly did because that's how they roll, and then maybe everyone else copied.

And yes, this should be an option. The enthusiast should be able to turn this off and watch the complete show (TV or movie) without any distractions until it's over.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And yes, this should be an option. The enthusiast should be able to turn this off and watch the complete show (TV or movie) without any distractions until it's over.

Yeah. That's where I am.

I don't watch a LOT of stuff on streaming...but the example I always use--Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime--actually has music pertinent to the episode over the closing credits. And, sue me...but I like watching credits. I often pick up names that make me better appreciate what I've just watched.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
In asking a chat support rep on Disney+ why my Roku can't display 4K on my 4K non-HDR display, he kept asking me what "generation" of Roku I have. I kept telling him that Roku does not use that term, but kept giving him the model number. He told me to go to the "About" screen, and I gave him EVERYTHING listed. He then asked "What about generation or operating system?" I told him there were no such listings on that screen. "Can you go to the About screen?" I told him I was on that screen and listed everything there, to which he responded "Sorry Todd I'm not familiar with Roku because i don't own one and I Haven't use one." :eek:

It went downhill from there: "Do you have your phone with you I'll let you see how should it look like. Are you using Android or IOS?"

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
In asking a chat support rep on Disney+ why my Roku can't display 4K on my 4K non-HDR display, he kept asking me what "generation" of Roku I have. I kept telling him that Roku does not use that term, but kept giving him the model number.

I assume he's referring to the names Roku gives to their players like Express, Express+, Stick, Stick HE, Premiere, Ultra, etc...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I assume he's referring to the names Roku gives to their players like Express, Express+, Stick, Stick HE, Premiere, Ultra, etc...
Nope. He wanted a "generation" number. I even gave him the model name and number and current software version, but he kept demanding a "generation" number.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks