What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I just don't understand why some content still can't be licensed elsewhere. Especially if the streamer owns the content and creates new licenses that work for them.

I saw a promo for a network series this weekend (NBC series maybe?) promoting that season 1 and 2 were available to stream on Netflix. And after a few years of exclusivity or when a series has ended, why wouldn't an owner like Netflix not license a property like Stranger Things to syndication or another streamer for a few months? Will Disney NEVER let any show play anywhere else ever again? I can't imagine that, but maybe I'm wrong. Will they NEVER license Star Wars or Avengers movies anywhere else except Disney +?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I just don't understand why some content still can't be licensed elsewhere. Especially if the streamer owns the content and creates new licenses that work for them.

I saw a promo for a network series this weekend (NBC series maybe?) promoting that season 1 and 2 were available to stream on Netflix. And after a few years of exclusivity or when a series has ended, why wouldn't an owner like Netflix not license a property like Stranger Things to syndication or another streamer for a few months? Will Disney NEVER let any show play anywhere else ever again? I can't imagine that, but maybe I'm wrong. Will they NEVER license Star Wars or Avengers movies anywhere else except Disney +?

For the same reason you can’t buy a digital copy of “The Irishman” on iTunes or a blu-ray of the live action “Lady and the Tramp” remake or, to take it further, a Big Mac at your grocery store. It’s more valuable to services to keep their content exclusive so you will want to subscribe, and stay subscribed, to their service.

You know that thread we have about “Yes or no: there are already too many streaming services”?Exclusivity is a powerful weapon in that war.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It has already been reported on other sites that contacting Disney gave them the answer that those titles had problems with their encodes and will be re-encoded and returned.

Additionally, Disney never said that no content would ever be rotated out; what they said was that on D+, the “vault” was over so that the several dozen classic animated features that normally cycle in and out of print on physical media would be available in perpetuity on the service.

I don’t know why, but it seems like there’s a certain segment of the audience that is just looking for a reason for this service to be Awful. It doesn’t matter that they’re offering tons of premium content for just $7 a month or $70 a year. It doesn’t matter that a streaming subscription isn’t meant to be the same as a physical or digital purchase. It doesn’t matter that the needs of the average consumer are being met by these offerings. For some people, there seems to be this skepticism that they’re somehow out to get you, and any minor hiccup can only be seen as proof of that.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Additionally, Disney never said that no content would ever be rotated out; what they said was that on D+, the “vault” was over so that the several dozen classic animated features that normally cycle in and out of print on physical media would be available in perpetuity on the service.

That was my memory of what was said. In this specific situation I think there is even a reason for the removal which sounds temporary

Probably for the same reason that folks contnuously think that physical and streaming are mutually exclusive and they aren't parallel which can co-exist.

That still reads like someone overgeneralizing what I remember Disney actually writing initially. Not having a rotating slate or most major items being permanent still leaves some room from handfuls of items to go off service.

A temporary removal to fix the pipes and shore up the foundation also is a different situation. I guess we'll see in a couple months if those handful of items come back.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It doesn’t matter that they’re offering tons of premium content for just $7 a month or $70 a year.
After my free year is up, this is probably going to be one of those services I subscribe to for a month or two a couple times a year. Lots of great catalog content, but the pace of rollout for original content isn't anywhere near as fast as Netflix or Prime Video or Hulu.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ll probably do the same (I don’t have a free year but I’m almost finished watching the new content I signed up for). But as we’re transitioning away from ownership of physical media as being the general public’s preferred method of consuming content, for a new generation of parents who don’t already own disc copies of all the classics, $70 a year to play all the Disney movies on all the devices at the touch of a button is the steal of the century.

I think you and I and many forum members are in this in between place where we are totally comfortable with using streaming to our advantage, but also have enough of a physical library where we don’t look for streaming to take up as much space in our viewing lives as many others will.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It has already been reported on other sites that contacting Disney gave them the answer that those titles had problems with their encodes and will be re-encoded and returned.

Re-lax.
Probably coming back in 4K. I know Home Alone 1&2 and the The Sandlot are available in 4K on iTunes and I thought it strange that the D+ versions weren’t 4K. If Sound of Music and Mary Poppins suddenly disappear for this reason, it will be cause for celebration. :D

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Here is something new - Chat Support is now requiring your billing address in addition to your Full Name and associated e-mail address before proceeding with answering your question?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Glad to learn that SparkShorts will continue! I really enjoy those. I think I've watched all of them now. Unless they come out on some cadence, like Forky Asks a Question does.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
For the same reason you can’t buy a digital copy of “The Irishman” on iTunes or a blu-ray of the live action “Lady and the Tramp” remake or, to take it further, a Big Mac at your grocery store. It’s more valuable to services to keep their content exclusive so you will want to subscribe, and stay subscribed, to their service.

You know that thread we have about “Yes or no: there are already too many streaming services”?Exclusivity is a powerful weapon in that war.

I'm not trying to argue with you and don't completely disagree. I'm trying to say that I hink that streaming services may eventually license some of their content in other places, just as they do now in broadcast, syndication, home video, etc.

Netflix's Stranger Things is already available on BD and DVD. I would think, maybe after that series ends and their subscribers have watched it, they might sell it as digital on iTunes, Prime, etc.. I've read (can't site source now unfortunately) they are considering releasing Roma on disc. Maybe Irishman will eventually have some retail versions.

At some point, maybe Amazon Prime has to do the same. They want to sell everyone else's stuff. So maybe some companies they get a nickel from want to sell Prime series, or maybe those companies won't allow Prime to sell their stuff. Its the Wild West.

I just think at some point, all this exclusive content will be too valuable to not make a few more pennies off of it some where besides an exclusive channel. Will Game of Thrones suddenly disappear from Prime for purchase later this year because HBO launches a new streaming service? Maybe. But I think the odds that stuff still is available for rent, purchase on disc & digital on other platforms besides exclusive streamers will sort itself out.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I'm not sure the Rex Harrison version of Doctor Dolittle is even on the service yet, let alone in 4k. I've noticed the Eddie Murphy version on there, but not the Rex Harrison version.

On a similar note, I find it baffling that they have Thumbelina on Disney+, but not Anastasia (the most popular of the Fox-owned Don Bluth films).

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On a similar note, I find it baffling that they have Thumbelina on Disney+, but not Anastasia (the most popular of the Fox-owned Don Bluth films).

The last time I checked, Anastasia was still on Netflix. Admittedly, this was a while ago -- since I have the Blu-ray, I never watch it on streaming, I only noticed it while browsing -- but I would imagine that Disney has to wait out the term of Netflix's license for it before they can add it to Disney+. In this case, Anastasia is not that different from the recent Disney theatrical releases that went to Netflix, even though Fox obviously licensed that out to them on their own before the Disney buyout.

If you want to see Anastasia, though, Amazon currently has the Blu-ray for just $5.99: https://www.amazon.com/Anastasia-an...words=anastasia+blu-ray&qid=1578025864&sr=8-3

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It might be a long time before a Bluth movie plays on Disney+. He didn't exactly leave the Mous House on the best terms and the Mouse never forgets.

Anyway the "The Secret of NIMH" was his best film. Most of the rest of his films had a lot of story problems. He was almost as uneven a story teller as Ralph Bakshi; although, if the two of them Bluth was still better.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It might be a long time before a Bluth movie plays on Disney+. He didn't exactly leave the Mous House on the best terms and the Mouse never forgets.

As Jack noted, Thumbelina is already there. Whatever bruised feelings there may be on Bluth's part are totally irrelevant. If Disney owns the license to a film he made -- and, through Fox, they have several of them -- they can put it on their service. They don't care what he thinks. John Lasseter left in a far more problematic fashion and his films are all over Disney+. Chris Sanders left Disney for DreamWorks, but Lilo & Stitch is still there. Lee Unkrich recently left Pixar, but Toy Story 3 and Coco are still there. Rich Moore recently left Disney, but Wreck-It Ralph and Zootopia are still there. The retention or departure of filmmakers makes no difference at all in terms of what content Disney makes available, because Disney owns it, not the filmmaker.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did any of those others take a pile of D's animators with them when they quit? However, you make a good point. I never saw."Thumbelina" so I didn't know it was one of Bluth's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks