What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
$70 a year for all of that - this is game changing. My monthly cable bill is more than twice that. I spend more than that each year for discs of 2D content produced by these different Disney brands. I spend more than that on other streaming services that offer me far less content that I’m interested in.

This is such an easy choice for me. I’m there on day one.

Me too. I'm actually frightened of the value for dollar amount here. It seems too good to be true.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Because I already own such a significant portion of the Disney library content that I want, I wasn't sure if I would sign up for this or not. But $6.99/month is less than the cost of one movie ticket, so I'm certainly interested now.

For me, I will continue to buy physical discs of the Disney titles I am interested in, the same way I have done even though their 2016-2018 theatrical output streamed on Netflix. I value being able to own that content, and I value the bonus features (especially Pixar's elaborate ones.) Presumably, the bonus features won't be on Disney+, as they now become an incentive for people to make a purchase.

The real draw for me is the new content, as well as library content that they could possibly put on there that didn't make it to disc. I haven't seen the Aladdin TV series since I was a kid, but I watched that every day and was obsessed with it. I would have paid for a complete series box set years ago if they put one out. I'd love to see that, and other things of its ilk, turn up on Disney+. It would be a real thrill to revisit it.

But for $6.99/month, honestly I'd only have to watch a couple things every month to feel like I'm getting a good value out of that. So, yeah, good move by Disney to keep the pricing low.

I would be really stunned if they end up keeping everything on there at the same time and abandoning the vault idea in perpetuity. I think it's more likely that the big ones will rotate in and out. But we'l see. It's also possible that they could change their plans if they determine this is sucking too much air out of their other windows. Disney will probably be on a learning curve with this, but they're certainly putting their best foot forward.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
$6.99/month or $69.99/year

500+ movies, 7,000+ TV shows, 25 original shows

No more Disney vault - all will be on the service.

Discounted bundle with Disney+, Hulu+, ESPN+

4K HDR where available

Downloading for offline viewing

I'm in!

I just hope they also have some Fox movies too that are PG and G-rated.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Perhaps Disney should be the ones to call themselves All-Access, not CBS, who in reality offers up a pittance of their vast library on their streaming service.

It seems that way. I will also be interested to see what becomes of Hulu since Disney holds majority interest

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm in!

I just hope they also have some Fox movies too that are PG and G-rated.

One of the dozens of articles I've scanned does mention Fox properties like Sound of Music (as has been mentioned up thread).

At $6.99, I'm in. My only problem will be deciding what to watch first and not trying to consume all the content in one afternoon. I'm also hoping their ongoing TV shows roll out once per week instead of all episodes at once. I like having "appointment TV" and then heading here to talk each episode through.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Man, huge difference in tone from start of thread to end of thread ;)

August '17

"I am not going down the road of subscribing to a bunch of separate streaming services."

"I absolutely refuse to add any more streaming services so Disney won't see a dime of my money."

"I already have Directv, Amazon Prime, and Netflix, not to mention OTA TV which has a treasure trove of old classic TV, that is PLENTY. Disney won't hook me."

"I am not willing to sign up for a separate streaming service for each studio/network/broadcaster."

"I can't imagine that another subscription just for Disney would be worth it"

"If you want to rent a title, I'm not opposed. I'm also not opposed to using Netflix/Hulu/whatever. What I am opposed to is everyone having their own service"

"It may a short term loss for Netflix, but it will be a long term loss for Disney. This is yet another subscription service serving a very niche audience."

"I don't see me trying it. Their current app requires a paid cable or satellite sub and is primarily loaded with the horrible sitcoms they currently produce."

April '19

"I'm in!"

"All the content we're going to have access to will make the monthly price of the service worth it for me. Maybe I'll even uncover something I never knew existed and be sucked into a whole new world of adventures."

"Yeah, I'm in for that $70 per year pricing."

"$70 a year for all of that - this is game changing. This is such an easy choice for me. I’m there on day one. "

"The Star Wars TV series guarantees me getting it but I think I'll stick around after it's done because this seems like it could be an actual good service."

"This is a triumph. Noting here, huge success."

"I'm actually frightened of the value for dollar amount here. It seems too good to be true."

"For $6.99/month, honestly I'd only have to watch a couple things every month to feel like I'm getting a good value out of that. So, yeah, good move by Disney"

"I'm in. My only problem will be deciding what to watch first and not trying to consume all the content in one afternoon."

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be...
Likely just a promotional price point to get the masses to sign up. Price increases likely won't be far behind once they've hooked people.
Man, huge difference from start of thread to end of thread ;)
Except that none of the people uninterested have changed their minds, at least based on those quotes. I'm still not interested even at that price.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Im guessing that unlike Netflix , CBS All Access, And Hulu, Disney will not offer one free month (free trail) Since they are starting at $6.99 a month

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I keep seeing articles about how the broadcast rights currently held by TNT/TBS are affecting their usage on Disney+. But I also see mentions that ad-free streaming rights aren't part of the package.

I suppose it's possible that Episode IX could drop on Disney+ for a few months (the length of premium channel exclusivity) and then get shifted to Turner.
This snippet from the Washington Post on yesterday's press conference states the Star Wars movies will be available on Disney+ on Day 1.

Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy, for instance, said that “the first two trilogies, plus ‘Force Awakens’ and ‘Rogue One’ ” will be available on Day One of Disney+, with "remaining titles to come within the first year, including ‘Star Wars: Episode IX.’ ”

Marvel head Kevin Feige, meanwhile, unveiled details of a “What If” series that will ask such questions as what if Peggy Carter took the serum instead of Steve Rogers. “Captain Marvel” will be available on Day One of Disney+, along with “Iron Man” and other golden oldies, Feige said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...?utm_term=.f4067e4e1572&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Man, huge difference in tone from start of thread to end of thread ;)

Even at the announced price, I am still not that interested. However, I have never been a big Disney fan, so I am not the target audience. Most of their content I may be interested in has been acquired (Pixar, Lucas Films, Marvel). I may pay for a month if it's the only way to see one of their new releases, but I cannot see being a continual subscriber.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I edited this thread's title to indicate the official name for this new streaming service as well as its start date.

Well yeah, I was gonna do that too. But I actually emailed the OP to see if it was ok. My title would have been "Disney+ - Now witness the power of this fully operational streaming service"

:lol:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm curious to see if they're going to broadcast the original Mickey Mouse Club, the original episodes of Disneyland/Walt Disney Presents, and if they'll feature some of the feature movies in HD from the 1940s and 1950s that haven't made it to Blu-ray yet. That will determine whether I subscribe or not. The price is certainly right.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even at the announced price, I am still not that interested. However, I have never been a big Disney fan, so I am not the target audience. Most of their content I may be interested in has been acquired (Pixar, Lucas Films, Marvel). I may pay for a month if it's the only way to see one of their new releases, but I cannot see being a continual subscriber.
Scott,

Just remember, it's just not Disney now, but Fox films too.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I'm curious to see if they're going to broadcast the original Mickey Mouse Club, the original episodes of Disneyland/Walt Disney Presents, and if they'll feature some of the feature movies in HD from the 1940s and 1950s that haven't made it to Blu-ray yet. That will determine whether I subscribe or not. The price is certainly right.

I'm with you. I don't care at all about Star Wars and Marvel - never have and never will. If Disney+ has a substantive and permanent "Vault Disney" section that covers most if not all of the Walt Disney era shorts, movies, and television works, then I would subscribe.

As for the original MMC, I would definitely love to see it as well as more of the serials that they have been so stingy with in releasing onto DVD. I wonder if it will happen though because I've heard that Disney has largely avoided the MMC material in recent years to avoid paying residuals to the Mouseketeers. To be clear, that is only a rumor - prove me wrong Disney by making the original MMC available on day one of Disney+!

I was actually hoping that some stock holder in the audience would yell out "WHAT ABOUT SONG OF THE SOUTH" sort of like how Moochie was pestering Walt about information on the then upcoming Zorro series on the "Fourth Anniversary Show." :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks