What's new

Discounts on Definitive Technology Speakers (1 Viewer)

I am looking to buy Definitive Technology speakers and don't want to pay too much.

Please respond with the model, price or percentage discount from list price you paid for your Definitive Technology speakers.

Thanks,

George :D

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I am looking to buy Definitive Technology speakers and don't want to pay too much.
Good luck with that.

DefTech dealers are among the most vigilant at sticking to the suggested retail prices. One of my local dealers occasionally offers 10% off but that's rare (and it only happens when authorized by Definitive).

I paid the following for my DefTechs:

BP2000tl: $3000
BP30: $1200
CLR-2000: $600

Only the BP30's were below SRP.

David Nash

Agent
Real Name
David
I think you should get at least 10% off when buying a complete package. I bought two BP2004TL's, two BP2X rears, and a CLR2002 center and received 15% off retail. They matched a price from another dealer about 75 miles away, which is probably why they went lower. However, the difference would have been worth the drive if they had not.
Good Luck,
David

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The kicker here is that the margin on speakers is pretty incredible. A 50% mark-up (from dealer cost to SRP) is not out of the ordinary.

We get screwed to play the HT game. :)

David Thanks,

On a side now why did you go with the 2002 center and not the 2500 center that has a subwoofer? Was it the $300 difference between them?

George...

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Good luck indeed. I love the speakers, but as mentioned earlier you have to really try hard to get a deal.

Find a local store and start playing the game with the sales people. (good cop / bad cop scenario stuff)

Kinda worked for me.

Dr. Joe

David Nash

Agent
Real Name
David
George,
It was mostly the cost difference between the 2002 and 2500 at the time since I already was spending more on speakers than I had planned to. Second reason was they did not have the 2500 to listen to anyway. I would like to try it out someday and see how it sounds. If I ever have a room suitable for 6.1 I'll probably get the 2500 and move the 2002 to the rear.
Thanks,
David

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
On a side now why did you go with the 2002 center and not the 2500 center that has a subwoofer? Was it the $300 difference between them?
The CLR2002 center speaker from DefTech is an outstanding speaker. I beat on this speaker for over an hour trying to find flaws so I could justify another/more expensive system, but the DefTech center alone produced sounds that entire systems did not. I bought DefTech because of this center and others have posted that they thought it was superior to the more expensive 2300 and 2500.

While a speaker with self-powered sub does feel macho/impressive, it's really not superior for sound.

Read through some of the posts here and start learning about speaker & sub placement. You will discover that the optimal place for the subwoofer is in a corner, or along the longest, un-broken wall. But you cant do that with a center/towers that have built-in subs.

Continue to read about how to put multiple subs in a room. The answer from subwoofer companines like SVS is to stack them together in the same corner. This way they support each other and dont cause complex interference patterns.

(Think of a rectangular bakeing pan with water. Dribble 1 stream of water in a corner and watch the ripples. Now try and dribble 2/3 streams of water in different locations to simulate multiple subs. How do the ripples look now?)

In a room with multiple subs spaced around the room, moving your head an inch or two can cause wild swings in sound level. The sound & reflections add/subtract in complex patterns.

A superior system for HT is a set of identical monitor-style speakers properly placed around the room, then a subwoofer/stack of woofers in a corner.

While I love DefTech, the small speakers with built-in subs are not what the more experienced users would buy. Unless you have some space/spousal-acceptance issues, go with the un-powered speakers and a dedicated sub.

On the discount issue:

DefTech tries to 'protect' it's dealers by preventing them from discounting. No store would carry DefTech if they knew a web-site with lower operating costs could under sell them. It's crappy from a consumer point of view, but it makes a lot of sense in trying to sign up dealers.

Sometimes you have to pay for what you want. Do it. You wont regret it.

Hope this helps.

Ernie C

Auditioning
Ten years ago I got a 10% discount on a pair of BP10's. Now that some "competition" came into my area, Last year, I got a 25% discount on a pair of BP2000TL's and a C/L/R 3000!!!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Good deal, Ernie. I assume you purchased yours at Best Sound?

Look for great deals soon on the BP2000tl & BP3000tl as they are being replaced by new models in the very near future.

Ernie C

Auditioning
Camp,

I didn't know Best Sound carried Def Tech's. Purchased mine from Sound Central. I need to stop by and inquire about some floor models when the new line comes out. That is unless you beat me to it :b

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, brainfart...I meant to say (er...type) Sound Central. Best Sound, as you correctly stated, does not sell DefTech.

The new models are all for you! I won't be jumping ship from my current DefTechs for a bit. I will certainly stop by to listen to them though. The smaller subs and different cabinet design interests me.

Real Name
Brad
I love my def techs. Great quality in sound and construction. However, I haggled with my dealer for an hour and he wouldn't budge. However, he did give me a discount on the speaker wire! :)

Regards

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Here's some info on the BP3000 and BP2000 replacements. I cut this from a post over at AVS. It answers most questions about the new models.

Earlier this month, at the CES show in Las Vegas, we showed our new BP7000sc and BP7001sc towers. These two models will be our best two towers and will replace the BP3000TL and BP2000TL. Essentially, these new models will have the same midrange and tweeter sections that are used in the BP3000TLs and BP2000TLs. This will include 4 x 6.5" midranges and 2 x 1" aluminum dome tweeters. (The crossover networks used in the BP7000sc and BP7001sc are a bit different than the ones used in the BP3000TLs and BP2000TLs though.)

The real difference is in the subwoofer section......The new towers will feature our SuperCube technology. Specifically, the BP7000sc will have a 14" subwoofer and two 14" bass radiators and the BP7001sc will have a 10" subwoofer and two 10" bass radiators.

(The sound quality of the BP3000TL and BP7000sc will be quite similar
though.)

The BP7000sc will have a suggested selling price of $5000.00 per pair and the BP7001sc will have a suggested selling price of $3500.00 per pair. We expect to begin shipping these new models in April 2003.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I got my Pro Tower 400's 1/2 price because they were demo's. The grilles were a little snagged. They sure do sound good though:emoji_thumbsup:

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend who works in an audio store that sells Def Tech and he has ordered some of their speakers for his own theater. Def Tech gives what the dealer refers to as "accomodations". For a 1k pair of speakers, my friend paid $300 delivered to his door! Def Tech has a 70% markup and they are considered a quality speaker even at MSRP. I have to say though, I am not a fan of their subs or powered towers. They are far too boomy which is too bad cause on paper, they sound great.

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
Big markups...
gotta pay for all of those full page ads!
Despite the markup, at least they dont give us Bose sound.
Really the best prices for def tecs are ebay. Just be careful, and you can find some great deals especially on the BP 6,8,10,20,30's

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
When I bought a pair 2006's and CLR2300 I got $100 and $50 off respectly compared to retail. I knew I wasnt going to talk the salesperson into a huge discount so I also got 180 feet of speaker wire for the a major discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks