What's new

Balmoral will be bumpin' once more with your help! (1 Viewer)

GhostGT

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris G
Hello everyone! Name's Chris and I'm seeking YOUR advice for my new home theatre system we're trying to get ready for my living room! I've had someone come over to my house to "look around" and give me some suggestions for our setup. Here's what the situation is:

- 73" Mitsubishi DLP with a custom built cabinet surrounding it all
- Using TV speakers so far
- Cable box, DVD player, Xbox360

That's the setup so far, and to cut all the non-sense out, we're looking into "In-Ceiling" speakers for this living room of ours. We don't really have ANY room to place or mount speakers, and our room doesn't really need anything "techy" sticking out anywhere. Trust me, I've tried to convince myself and my family otherwise but it ain't happenin'!

Again, to skip to the goodies of this thread, here is the setup the consultant suggested:

Marantz SR7002 A/V Receiver
3 Atlantic Technology In-Ceiling 6 1/2" Speakers for the front (ICTS6LCR)
2 Atlantic Technology In-Ceiling 6 1'2" Trimode speakers for the back (ICTS6.3ES)
2 (yes, TWO) Atlantic Technology Powered Box subwoofers (212SB-GLB)
Toshiba HDA3 HD-DVD Player (great deal, 5 movies, will upscale normal DVDs)
Universal MX-810 Home Theater Master IR/RF Output 2" AMC LCD
Universal MRF-300 Expandable Companion RF Module

The DVD player will suffice till I decide what major BluRay player to purchase since they're coming out on top anyway. I'm definitely NOT liking the remote he suggested and I'm looking into Logitech's new remotes they're offering. I'm also confused as to WHY two subwoofers were suggested.

PRICES:

All the goodies together are totalled at $5,096. He's predicting $2,400 (!) for labor to install the ceiling speakers, reciever, subs, base unit for remote, programming the remote, connecting cable box, xbox, cable, and tv. And he's including repair of the ceiling sheetrock, too. Add to that $250 for musc cables, connectors, hardware, batteries, etc, and we've got a GRAND TOTAL OF:

$7,636 with a 10% discount BEFORE labor.

I feel as if this is literally the LIMIT I'm willing to spend on my HT system. My budget is basically MAX $7,000(ish) so I was about to pull the trigger a week ago, but I decided to see what some forumers might think!

So really, what do you guys think? Is this a great setup? Anything I can change? What would you guys suggest?

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? Receiver? I want to hear about what you guys have used for In-Ceiling solutions and how you like it. I'm open to any product suggestions, any alternative, etc. I want a great sound system that will handle movies, music, and other things with a breeze and sound great at it. A powerful, rich bass is also a must IMO. I throw a lot of parties so I want to feel this system!

Oh, I hope to hear from you all soon!:emoji_thumbsup:

Cheers,

Chris

jackmantas

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack mantas
I'll tell you one thing right off the bat. If I'm spending over 7 grand, I'm going to go with separates and not a receiver. About a little over a year ago, I bought a used Sunfire Theater grand processor II and a 200 X 5 Cinema Grand Amp, which will eat that Marantz for breakfast. I only paid about $1800 for both of them.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you can't go with larger speakers, why not wall mounted ones like the Def Tech Mythos series? Even in-wall speakers are better than in-ceiling since they will be near ear level.

Subs - there are a lot of compact models around. Can you disguise a larger one as an end table? If you are insisting on invisible, do your room share a wall with a garage or a closet? What is above the room? Attic? Any of those will allow you to install an IB sub that will crush an in-wall sub. But if you have to have an in-wall, you can get some 10" or 12" shallow drivers from Lorentz Audio and build a custom in-wall sub for about $300. It's the same driver that Snell uses in their $1,000 in-wall sub. AE Speakers uses dual drivers when they custom build their dual in-wall sub.

-Robert

GhostGT

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris G
Hey guys,

Regarding the separates deal, I don't know too much about these types of things...what would that exactly mean? What are the pros/cons of doing separates as opposed to getting one receiver? I'm not exactly a fanboy of Marantz; that's all that was recommended to I wanted to get your opinions.

Robert, as for the subs, they're not going to be installed in-wall; sorry if you got confused. The subs will sit on the bottom shelves of my cabinet that has been built around my TV. I'll try to get a couple of pictures up today.

Any info/advice you guys can offer about the speakers themselves? I'm not too savvy when it comes to these things, and don't know if there's a better in-ceiling alternative. I'll check out your wall-mount suggestion, but I'm afraid that might be outta the question.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd go with in-wall before I have a sub small enough to sit on a shelf. I usually use a furniture dolly to move the subs that I build.

Since you mentioned in-ceiling speakers, I'm assuming that you have access to the area above your listening room. If so, an infinite baffle sub is a possibility. All of the performance of a large sub without the box in the room.

For example, here is on person's IB sub. It's a square hole above the TV. You can even cover it with a color matched grill.

But the business end of the sub is in the attic (or garage or basement) where you don't have to see it. Here's the back side of the IB in the first picture.

As for on-wall and small, Orb Audio makes small and attractive (to some) speakers. The Def Tech Mythos series are very good speakers and match a modern decor I think. They aren't that intrusive and have a decent WAF. If you have to go in-ceiling, make sure that the speaker or at least the tweeter can be angled towards you. If not, your TV viewing experience will be a little strange with the video right in front of you and the voices/action coming from the ceiling.

I also see remotes in the equipment list. I bet part of the labor includes remote setup? And probably a fee every time you upgrade equipment. The Harmony 890 (an 880 with RF and IR) is easy to set up and even easier to use. I even use two different DVRs but my wife had no problems when I added the second. The button layout was almost the same and the buttons that weren't were changed to match.

-Robert

GhostGT

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris G
That seems like an interesting idea, but I doubt that I'd want to do an in-ceiling subwoofer...I'm going to try and get something great that will fit into the bottom cabinet door. I know my guy recommended two Atlantic Tech subs, but I have no clue how they'll sound. And is he including two because one is simply not enough? I like Velodine's subwoofers. Hm...

Robert, I seem to be getting absolutely no feedback regarding the speakers themselves. They DO have adjustable tweeters....but do you think they'll sound nice? I was looking at some Mirage in-ceiling speakers, and i'm still obviously considering the Atlantic Technology ones.

Any advice on the receiver, too? I want something nice for about $1000ish.

Sorry I've got all these questions, but i'm honestly almost clueless when it comes to these!

Chris

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's why this forum is broken into sections. You will get the most receiver recommendations in the Receiver and Separates section. Same with the speakers. This Project section is really for how you bring it all together. Equipment layout. Tips on running wires. How to install in-ceiling speakers when the audio consultant is screwing you on labor. When I get a quote like that I always ask if it includes dinner.

Is there a place where you can audition these speakers? I've used in-ceiling speakers for surrounds but never mains. They are installed just outside of my end tables at either end of the couch. They do an excellent job as surrounds but they wouldn't work as mains. As soon as you move from the sweet spot, you loose all highs and the sound just gets muddy. If you go with in-ceiling mains, I feel that you may end up with the same situation. The sound will be great in front of the TV but get worse as you get closer to the seats. Sound is directional. So unless you can sit in your favorite spot and actually see the driver, then I don't think the speakers will work.

Receivers - I bought a Pioneer based on my past experience with Pioneers and the reviews in the Receivers section. It had everything I wanted at the time and only cost $400.

-Robert

jackmantas

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack mantas
Well the pros of going with separates are just almost too numerous to list. Just trust me that you are just going to get such a better sound it's not even funny. It has something to do with the interference between the amplifier and the preamp-processor unit when they are housed in the same unit so close together as in a receiver.

I'm sure one of the gurus who knows a lot more than me could explain it better than I can. I just know what I hear and when I went from a Harmon-Kardon AVR85 to the Sunfire setup I have now the difference was almost unbelievable. I might as well of just dug a hole in the backyard and buried the Harmon in it.

I just know you were asking for advice and I saw your post and I was like: "Wow this guy is spending over 7 grand, he should really go with separates!"

Good luck,

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks