What's new

DirecTV Tivo (1 Viewer)

Jamson Wu

Auditioning
I was hoping someone could shed some light on my problem. I just moved and I'm looking to set up DirecTV at my new place. I own a Sony Tivo SVR2000 with lifetime service and I love it. Now I'm looking at the DirecTV receiver with built-in TIVO. Its my understanding that lifetime service is not transferrable to another unit. Does anyone know if I can buy the DirecTV Tivo unit, and use it (just as a satelltie receiver) without activiating new tivo service for that tivo unit and continue using my existing tivo unit? The reason I want to get this particular unit is for cost... $95 at circuit city, and the fact that it has dolby digital output. Please help !

Mike Tondreault

Auditioning
From my understanding, as long as the unit with the lifetime sub is activated, the other one will also receive tivo services at no extra charge. I know this is true the directivo's. I am doing it.

Jamson Wu

Auditioning
Mike, thanks for the input, but i tried calling both Direct TV and Tivo, and i wasn't able to get a clear answer from anyone. So you're saying that I can go ahead and buy the DirecTV/Tivo Receiver, install it, and activate the Tivo on that unit using the lifetime sub I've already paid for for my standalone SVR2000? How did u do it?

Ian

Agent
A DirecTV TiVo's lifetime or monthly subscription would cover additional DirecTV TiVos. You would pay DirecTV a $4.99 mirroring fee for the additional receiver(s).

The standalone TiVo's lifetime subscription would not cover a DirecTV TiVo.

Ian

Mike Tondreault

Auditioning
I believe Ian is probably right. I only use DirecTv Tivo units and know that the single subscription is good for all three of them (mirror charges apply). But I do not believe your lifetime sub can cross platforms ie. standalone and sattellite subscription. So you would incur charges to start the DirecTivo subscription.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
The stand-alone Tivo's actually interface pretty well with some stand-alone DirecTV recievers. I have an SVR2000 connected to my (cheap) RCA DirecTV receiver via a serial cable. The Tivo can control the receiver pretty well. If you go this route, you can still use your existing lifetime subscription since you are still using the same Tivo unit. You won't get ALL the advantages of the direcTivo units, like dual tuners, but it'll probably be quite a bit cheaper.

Bob Jackson

Stunt Coordinator
I do not know if the Sony DTiVo uses the standard Sony DTV IR codes, but you can not control a Hughes or Philips DTiVo with a standalone TiVo.

BTW the DTiVo rules.

Jamson Wu

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies, I'm considering selling my SVR2000 and starting over with a new DTivo reciever. That's one way to go. In the meantime, does anyone know where i can find out which Direct TV receivers are able to be controlled by my standalone SVR2000? thanks.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Jamson,

I'd recommend keeping the TiVo you have. I'm using mine in combination with cable and a Hughes DirecTV receiver, and it works great. You should be able to go to any Best Buy and get a DirecTV receiver for less than $100...

One big drawback to the DirecTiVo: it won't record from any source other than DirecTV. If you get your locals via the satellite, that's not a problem, but if you're getting them via cable or OTA, you're out of luck.

Just something else to think about...

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I guess a new TiVo model is on display at CES - so anyone looking to buy a TiVo right now may want to hold off until they release the new models later this year.

I have no idea what new features are on this new model TiVo - so you may want to do some research on TiVo CES news before you buy.

Just a heads up - I have 2 Direct TiVo's and LOVE THEM!

Mike

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I guess a new TiVo model is on display at CES - so anyone looking to buy a TiVo right now may want to hold off
For a standalone model, I agree. But you can get the "series 2" Tivo already, through AT&T broadband, and from Tivo directly probably within the month. The new model is physically smaller, has more capacity, and has a faster processor so menus respond quicker. It also has USB ports that will be used in the future for other features / peripherals.

But a DirecTivo series 2 model seems further away and I don't think I'd bother waiting, since they are so cheap now.

Mark_TX

Auditioning
Be sure and do some price research. In the original post, you mentioned the Direct Tivo at Circuit City for $95.00. You can go to Link Removed or www.expertsatellite.com and get a FREE Hughes DirectTivo, Dish, and installation. But only until 1/15/02.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks