What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (5 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I picked up Damien: Omen II for $4.99. I was tempted by the most recent Bond film (No Time to Die) to complete my collection, but decided to hold out for a better price than $9.99. I have all the other Bond films on digital already.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I picked up Damien: Omen II for $4.99. I was tempted by the most recent Bond film (No Time to Die) to complete my collection, but decided to hold out for a better price than $9.99. I have all the other Bond films on digital already.
Bond movies sold individually don’t discount much. The lowest price I can remember is $8.99. I guess you can wait a year to save a dollar.;)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Finished my Superman and Vacation collection on iTunes...

Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut (HD $4.99)
Superman III (HD $4.99)
Superman Returns (HD $4.99)
Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem (HD $4.99)
National Lampoon's European Vacation (HD $4.99)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Bond movies sold individually don’t discount much. The lowest price I can remember is $8.99. I guess you can wait a year to save a dollar.;)
I thought I had seen the films for $7.99 each at some point, but I may be mistaken on that. I may go ahead and pick it up on this sale just to complete my set.

EDIT: I checked Cheap Charts, and it appears that only the Connery films have hit a $7.99 price point, while the others have not been lower than $8.99. You talked me into buying No Time To Die, @Robert Crawford . :laugh:

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I thought I had seen the films for $7.99 each at some point, but I may be mistaken on that. I may go ahead and pick it up on this sale just to complete my set.

EDIT: I checked Cheap Charts, and it appears that only the Connery films have hit a $7.99 price point, while the others have not been lower than $8.99. You talked me into buying No Time To Die, @Robert Crawford . :laugh:
I saw the No Time To Die 4k disc at my local Target for $10. Couldn’t believe it as the Blu-ray is still $14 or so.

I passed on it. It will be the first 007 film I will not buy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I didn't remember those Connery films being $7.99, but I did remember the $8.99 price point.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Picked up The Protege 4K -- 1st time it's dropped to $5 -- and also Red Eye 4K plus a few others (mainly some non-Movies-Anywhere titles plus a Japanese horror flick I missed from a previous $3 Arrow sale).

I'm wondering about The Goodbye Girl (1977) though -- seems to be 1st time it's dropped to $5 -- and curious if it might actually be the same transfer as the one for WAC since the HD digital seems only ~3 years old vs the WAC BD being ~6 years old (and there hadn't been any other prior HD releases on disc or digital)...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Picked up The Protege 4K -- 1st time it's dropped to $5 -- and also Red Eye 4K plus a few others (mainly some non-Movies-Anywhere titles plus a Japanese horror flick I missed from a previous $3 Arrow sale).

I'm wondering about The Goodbye Girl (1977) though -- seems to be 1st time it's dropped to $5 -- and curious if it might actually be the same transfer as the one for WAC since the HD digital seems only ~3 years old vs the WAC BD being ~6 years old (and there hadn't been any other prior HD releases on disc or digital)...

_Man_
Let us know about The Goodbye Girl.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Ok, I just went ahead, bit the bullet and took one for the team... :P and it sure looks like it's very likely the same transfer as the WAC BD. I don't actually have the WAC BD, but quickly comparing a few screencaps from Caps-a-holic (plus how it generally looks both on its own and relative to those screencaps) suggests it's very likely the same transfer w/ slight diffs that can probably all be attributed to just the necessarily diff, lower bitrate encode (yielding slightly diff sharpness/contrast/tonality/brightness that probably wouldn't be noticeable apart from direct comparisons). It certainly doesn't look like the old DVD at all (as also shown at Caps-a-holic), which had fairly different color grading (along w/ the usual DVD artifacts, etc).

Do note though that even the WAC BD apparently doesn't look quite as sharp (or perhaps, "punchy") as usual for a WAC BD -- probably just the reality of the 70's film stock and filmmaking I guess...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Ok, I just went ahead, bit the bullet and took one for the team... :P and it sure looks like it's very likely the same transfer as the WAC BD. I don't actually have the WAC BD, but quickly comparing a few screencaps from Caps-a-holic (plus how it generally looks both on its own and relative to those screencaps) suggests it's very likely the same transfer w/ slight diffs that can probably all be attributed to just the necessarily diff, lower bitrate encode (yielding slightly diff sharpness/contrast/tonality/brightness that probably wouldn't be noticeable apart from direct comparisons). It certainly doesn't look like the old DVD at all (as also shown at Caps-a-holic), which had fairly different color grading (along w/ the usual DVD artifacts, etc).

Do note though that even the WAC BD apparently doesn't look quite as sharp (or perhaps, "punchy") as usual for a WAC BD -- probably just the reality of the 70's film stock and filmmaking I guess...

_Man_

FWIW, the Movies Anywhere digital definitely looks a lot like SD quality instead (but maybe still from the same transfer) even though MA claims to have it in HD -- meanwhile, Vudu apparently only has it in SD.

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
FWIW, the Movies Anywhere digital definitely looks a lot like SD quality instead (but maybe still from the same transfer) even though MA claims to have it in HD -- meanwhile, Vudu apparently only has it in SD.

_Man_
Just another example of the industry screwing up another home video format. The lack of uniformity in 2022, shouldn't be happening now.

By the way, I have the WA Blu-ray so I'll probably pass on this digital.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Fanflix is having a 2 for $10 sale on films for Halloween, including several 4K versions.
I ended up picking up four titles through this sale -- Scream 4K (had bought it on Vudu in HD several years ago), Scream 2 4K (never owned), Scream 3 HD (never owned) and Hannibal HD (had just on DVD). You can only order two titles at a time, so I had to place two separate orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks