What's new

Die Another Day audio sync problem (1 Viewer)

John Fieldstadt

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed the problem immediately when Bond met Jinx along with a couple of other times (although not as bad). During that initial meeting though it was very bad. I'm using a Toshiba SD6200 and Sony DB940.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
This is clearly a much different issue than the Moulin Rouge sync problem. With Moulin Rouge, the sync problems would only manifest themselves on certain hardware combinations, and then sometimes only when "skipping around" in the film.

The Die Another Day DTS sync issue is much more straightforward. The image and sound are out of sync by about 4 frames (about 16ms). This is not hardware specific, it just IS. It's a run-of-the-mill sync error in mastering. The reason some people claim not to see it is because they truly DON'T see it, but it's still there. It's just small enough that people not sensitive to sync errors won't notice it, or won't notice it until it's pointed out to them (if you're one of those people reading this, too late :p)).

-Lyle J.P.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"or won't notice it until it's pointed out to them"

That's exactly right Lyle_JP. I have a slight hearing deficiency so I tend to watch lips on close ups to compensate and during the Jinx/Bond scene I had to replay the scene because i could not quite understand everything that was said. Now, of course I just chalked it up to my hearing. But after reviewing that scene I can see a DEFINATE sync issue. I do not have any other DTS DVDs that has a sync issue so I do not know how it can be a player problem.

85 movies play fine on said player.
1 movie is out of sync on said player.

Logic points to the software to me!

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I have the sync problem too with the DTS track. I'm playing it on my Panasonic RP82. Same thing as Moulin Rouge.... :frowning:

John KB

Second Unit
I'm not sure if this question was answered or not, (sorry if it was), but, how is it that reviewers on all these DVD sites never seem to notice this problem? The same goes for Moulin Rouge, I read quite a few reviews that never mentioned the issue.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I think we should stop likening the problem to Moulin Rouge. They're separate issues. Some threads a while back had good breakdowns of players that exhibited the problem with Moulin Rouge, but it was pretty clear not every player had the problem with DTS on MR. Of two different brand players I played it on, neither of them had a problem, and I was looking really closely during the songs.

DAD may only exhibit a problem on some models as well, but it's just my suspicion that it's more widespread than the MR problem. I could be wrong, and I still haven't popped MR in my Philips replacenemt player, but MR didn't have a problem in this model before while DAD clearly does. Maybe it's because I know MGM has screwed up on a lot of things on the Bond films before like not burning in the subtitles on entire batches and other sound issues.

As for the Jinx meets Bond scene, I think that's a bad reference point since even though it's really bad on the DTS track, others have pointed out and I concur that it's out of sync slightly on the DD track on that scene too. Maybe it's always been that way; I don't know. Definitely worse on the DTS though. I only watched it the whole way through once, but the sync problem seemed apparent more on the first half of the movie...or maybe I just got used to it and stopped looking at mouths so I wouldn't go crazy...er :)

Anyway, just don't say the problem is just like Moulin Rouge, especially since that battle was already lost and would seem to be a slightly different scenario. It's like if you were defending a man in court and referenced a case where the defendant got the chair instead of freedom.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Well, I'll be...watched Moulin Rouge last night and my Philips 963 coupled with my Pioneer DOES have the lips-sync problem with the DTS track. Maybe I never did try it on my original Philips deck.

I'm so depressed....:frowning:

Figures...with my Sony it had no problems on neither my Technics or my Pioneer receivers I think.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Yup its definitely out of sync with the DTS track but not
so with region 3. A 100% faulty disc I guess I'll have to
live with it since no exchange available here.

Thomas W

Agent
I have a Toshiba SD6200 and have the sync problem as well. It is most irritating during the "Jinx meets Bond" scene, but I noticed the sync problem starting at the beginning of the movie and at various spots throughout.:frowning:

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
since my earlier post got deleted with the forum database problems, i'm posting again.

i noticed the lip sync problem first in Cuba when James meets Jinx, it was so noticable that it really distracted from the film.:frowning: i'm certainly hoping for a corrected copy to be released.

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
Add me to the list of those that have noticed the sync problem. Like others, I noticed it when Bond and Jinx meet up in for the first time. I just switched over to the DD track after that because I knew it would drive me crazy!! ;)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I just watched DAD today, and noticed a few problems:

1. English subtitles dont kick in until about 4 chapters in (guesstimate)
2. In the chapter transition between the no-sub and the sub chapters, my player frose. I had to stop, and play again, and the subs magically appeared.
3. Audio dropouts throughout the movie, about 4 or 5
4. DTS LipSync problem, especially noticeable in the ice palace when Bond, Frost, and Jinx are speaking at the bar ("big bang, thrust, etc.")

This is on:
Toshiba SD-2109 DVD Player
Kenwood VR-407 DD/DTS reciever

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
picked this one up the other day at cc for 12 bucks. watched it tonight through DD (will try DTS later). after viewing i jumped straight to my computer to come to the forum. why you ask? not the audio so much, but the picture quality. i've read about others seeing a difference around the helicopter drop but i swear the blur on my disc lasts the whole last 10 mins of the movie.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Anyone know if the DAD in the Vol. 3 box fixes this DTS error? I haven't had a chance to check it yet, as I got too many DVD's (is that possible) for Christmas.

AJG

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I don't think so Aaron. By the way, did they put in a new cover to match the spines of the other Bonds in the box set, or is it still different?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks