What's new

Die Another Day audio sync problem (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's NOT an ADR problem. It is out of sync on many of our systems. What equipment are you using Joshua?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I have the Panny RP82 player and the Anthem AVM 20...but, my equipment doesn't matter. MGM checked on it, and there IS a DTS problem. Expect a press release within two weeks.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
You know what I don't get? How all the review sites missed this, and for that matter Moulin Rouge too? Jeez, I noticed it right away.:confused:

John KB

Second Unit
Yes Tino, I'm always curious how the review sites seem to miss these things, that's why I thought that maybe they get sample copies that might in some way be different then the ones that eventually end up on the shelves.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
can anyone confirm/deny that thie problem exists with the R2-UK version? I'm currently in England on business and can pick up a copy here if the R2 versions aren't affected (yes, I have a multi-region, PAL->NTSC converting player, before anyone asks) :)

Dan M

Second Unit
Just how bad is the out-of-sinc problem some of you are seeing?

I just watched this again in dts and I honestly couldn't find a problem with the dialogue not matching up.

A couple of times I thought I might of seen where the dialogue appeared slightly out-of-sinc but on the whole it seemed fine to me.

I'm using an Onkyo 989 receiver to decode dts as well as DD. The Onkyo also has a feature to correct this type of problem but I've never had to use it.

This dts track actually sounds pretty darn good. :)

But the Dolby track sounds great too. I personally wished they had dumped the dts track and used the space for picture quality.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Sometimes it's just the size of your screen that makes a difference because it's just easier to focus in on a mouth.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
It's NOT an ADR problem. It is out of sync on many of our systems. What equipment are you using Joshua?
Its an ADR problem...I watched the Dolby Digital track last night and it was off by just a small hair in the Jinx/Bond scene...that was just listening to it through the TV...no surround sound or anything...just the TV and I noticed the ADR problem there...I noticed no sync problems anywhere else in the film on either the DTS or DD track on my Sony DD/DTS system...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Maybe you just aren't looking hard enough Joshua.;) As has been mentioned above, MGM has acknowledged a sync problem so again, it is NOT an ADR problem. Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it's not there.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Its an ADR problem as far as Im concerned because there is no other sync problems throughout the movie at all for me...I noticed nothing more than a hair off in the Jinx/Bond scene...the ADR problem is there both in the DD and DTS tracks and thats the only scene...perhaps the ADR problem is what MGM is referring to...in fact I seem to remember the ADR problem in the theater too...I saw it 3 times and I think I remember that their lips didnt quite match the voice in that scene...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have a SONY system too. What model DVD player and receiver are you using Joshua?

And btw, the Bond/Jinx scene is NOT out of sync in DD on my system.

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony system and only noticed it during the meeting scene on Cuba - otherwise it was fine. I wouldn't bother trading in for this one.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I have a SONY system too. What model DVD player and receiver are you using Joshua?

And btw, the Bond/Jinx scene is NOT out of sync in DD on my system.
I have a Panasonic 5-Disc changer...and a Sony DD/DTS...I dont know the model number...but I've had it for about 9 months...and I did notice a slight sync problem with the Jinx/Bond meeting in both DD and DTS...it seems a little more present in the DTS mix though...

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I to have a disc with the audio sync problem on the DTS track the other thing I noticed though is there are several parts near the end in the Dolby track where there is audible distortion in the recording I know this wasnt my speakers as I was watching it quietly at night but there was a very clear and present clipping in the audio tracks.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I checked this out last night. Another scene with a problem is the first meeting between Bond and M. The DTS track is a little off (just enough to be noticeable) whereas the DD track is right on.

I think that the mixed reactions to this relate to the fact that the DTS track is only slightly off and it takes a close-up of an actor's face for it to become clear. Even in a medium shot, it's hard to see the problem.

On the plus side, the DD track is excellent and has no recurring problems.

-Reagan

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I also looked at the Bond/M scene to see if it was off...cause I figured that would be a good place to see if there was a sync problem...nothing! I noticed no sync problems at all on either the DTS or DD...

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I to have a disc with the audio sync problem on the DTS track the other thing I noticed though is there are several parts near the end in the Dolby track where there is audible distortion in the recording I know this wasnt my speakers as I was watching it quietly at night but there was a very clear and present clipping in the audio tracks.
On mine too. Especially, the scene when Bond finds Graves's true identity. I remember that this was also present in the theatrical presentation, so this clippling might have been present ON DAY ONE. And I thought that it in the theaters that they switched to analog.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I also read all about the sync problems before watching the dvd, and I noticed no issues with the DTS track on mine. Also had no issues with "compressed" sound on the DTS track. In fact, I found it to be one of the most dynamic tracks I've heard in quite some time. Reminded me of the good ol' DTS laserdiscs.

H

Hank

I did not notice any problems either in DTS. My eqipment is listed below. I'm gonna view this tomorrow night again with my father, I'll play the DTS track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks