What's new

Die Another Day audio sync problem (1 Viewer)

John KB

Second Unit
Hi, this is my first post here and it's a great forum. I have a copy of the new James Bond DVD "Die another day", ( I'm in the video business which is why I have it early.) When watching it in DTS I noticed that the audio sync is ever so slightly off. It is only noticeable during dialog scenes. A nice calm, non action scene, for example when Bond first meets Jinx after she comes out of the water. Scene 12, I think. You can definitely notice it there, but it is through the entire film.
I tried a second copy, same problem. I have a Panasonic RP82, and a portable Panasonic player LV50. I thought maybe it was a Panasonic firmware problem, so I then tried both copies on a Toshiba player, same problem with the DTS track.
I'm hoping as people buy the DVD, they can post their own results.
I know Ron reviewed a copy, but made no mention of the problem.
Ron is your copy the same as what's going to be released in the stores, or a screener?
Anyway, hope to hear from some people on this. Thanks, and take care.

John KB

Second Unit
Two more days till Die Another Day comes out, so hopefully I'll hear from some of you. Hope you're all having a great weekend.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I watched this with a reviewer about 6 weeks ago and we noticed it also, but thought it was the $3000 player and not the encoding itself. I guess we were mistaken.

Gregg

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, that'll suck. I've got mine on order and it shipped today. Is it only the DTS track?

John KB

Second Unit
Yes, it's only the DTS track. Hope to hear more imput in the comming days. Take care!

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
My Malata exhibited the same DTS sync issue...

I thought it was just me... but this thread shows otherwise...

Dolby Digital was fine..

Dugger

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed this lip synch issue as well on my Panasonic DVDA320 right thru chapter 15, but chapter 16 on...it seems to go away.
The camera is always moving on closeups so its pretty difficult to notice it.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The Edge Enhancement wasnt too horrible to me, but I noticed the lip synch problem right away. It again, is only noticable during talkie scenes. I watched it in DTS tonight and DAMN was this mix amazing, aside from the slight sync issue. It was not as bad as Moulin Rouge, but still noticable.
I have a JVC 75gd and Pioneer 811. I have no problems with moulin Rouge though(I did on my old player and receiver though)

Britton

Screenwriter
I had a hard time seeing any lip sync problems, but Halle kept moving her head around when she was talking after she came out of the water in the orange bikini, so I couldn't get a good visual lock on her lips. I haven't sat down to watch it all the way through, so maybe I'll be able to notice it when I do. Either way, I hope it becomes a situation where MGM addresses an error on yet ANOTHER Bond movie and not a Moulin Rouge situation that goes unresolved.

John KB

Second Unit
What I don't understand is my all the review sites don't mention it. Are the reviewer's copies different then the ones sold it stores? I've read quite a few reviews and it wasn't mentioned once.
I'm sure the problem may not show up with all brands of players, but we've had a few different players mentioned on this thread, including Panasonic and Toshibas to name two of them, and I know there's more.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I think I'll pass on this one:

1. I don't like the cardboard slipcase for DVD's because they get too damaged in the stores and it's a pain to remove the price sticker

2. A sync problem with the DTS track

3. edge enhancement problems

4. I can't decide which is worse- Die Another Day or The World is Not Enough (that's just my opinion though, I know many people liked both films).

I'll spend my money elsewhere. If the first three problems didn't exist, I'd probably buy it.

John- regarding no review sites mentioning it, I think that's not too uncommon. For example, I know of only one review resource (Extended Play) that mentioned the bugs in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City while everyone else never mentioned them. Although it's a great game, those bugs certainly warranted discussion.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Also, the subtitles on this confused me. Off topic I know. In the beginning they were player generated. Then towards the end of the film, the subs were burnt in, except for the dialog. I find that odd.

Dan Schulze

Stunt Coordinator
I too noticed the sync problem. :angry:

I first noticed it really bad when 'M' and Bond are talking in chapter 7 at about 24:30 into the film. There are other parts that are bad, but to numerous to mention. Later in the film seems OK. I have the Denon DVD-2900 player.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks