What's new

denon dvd-910 (1 Viewer)

Sam P

Auditioning
Hello to all,
i was wondering what everyone thought about the Denon 910. I am going to upgrade my old dvd player due to the fact that I just got a new HD 53" tv
The spec look nice. also is there some other brands in that same price range that are good
thanks
Sammy

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Sam, the Denon 910 will not pass the black pluge pattern test from my understanding. Lots of people think when you get a new HD TV you have to run out and get a progressive scan DVD player and that just is not the case. You can simply feed your new HD TV a 480i video source and let the TV do the progressive scanning.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
"You can simply feed your new HD TV a 480i video source and let the TV do the progressive scanning."

Sure you can do that. It doesn't mean you're gonna get a good picture from it. I've tested my XBR910 and a GW III against the Denon 910 and found the Denon did a much better job at progressive scan than those two highly touted tvs did.

To sum up my point: A really good DVD player will do a better job than your tv at progressive scan. The Denon 910 is a very solid player and I would call it the best player for $300 or less on the market today.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
"Sure you can do that. It doesn't mean you're gonna get a good picture from it."

but it doesn't mean you will get a bad picture either!

Danny, and just the reverse is true also, right? Just because you get a progressive scan DVD player does NOT mean its progressive scan picture will look better than 480i DVD players using ANY TV's progressive scanning.

Danny, a DVD player that will not pass below black cannot be considered the best $300 or less DVD player IMO (Faroudja or no Faroudja).

Now I do agree with your last statement but it is not a blanket statement.

Also, I thought it important to point out to Sam he can get good to great performance out of 480i, depending on the player, with his new HD TV.

Also, what about the people with great progressive scan capable projectors? Some of those are better than most ANY DVD player. Many just use the great 480i image from the Panasonic 91 model.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I compared my Sony HS510 to my Denon 2200, and the 2200 does a much better job at progressive than the display does, especially with film based material.

Jim-M

Second Unit
One you might consider that people are just starting to receive is the Zenith DVB318. It has a Faroudja processor, passes below black, and upconverts to 1080i via component and DVI. The DVI apparently crushes whites so the component output is supposed to be better. There is a big thread about it at AVS Forum. Since it is so new it hasn't been fully put through the ringer, but initial reviews are positive. It has been out in Canada since the beginning of the year badged as an LG model and the initial reports on the Zenith are consistent with what people were finding with the LG.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks