What's new

Denon 5800 upgrade or Pioneer VS49TX (1 Viewer)

RajeeK

Second Unit
Hey Obi and Rajeek what is your opinion on TX vs SX for the rear channels
I typically don't use SX mode. For plain 5.1 formats I prefer Ultra2 processing. For EX encoded DVD's then I use THX EX. I guess TX mode is the exact same thing as THX EX matrix decoding without THX sound post processing.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I tried an interesting expirement with the surround modes, I use a parasound 2205 to power my front 3 and the 49tx supplies power to the remaining 4. I played several different movie sceens with the front 3 off and every time the surrounds and rears in ultra 2 sounded much clearer to me. Some people say ultra 2 is a gimmick but I belive it makes a big difference! oops didnt mean to start another debate:D
Bob

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Rejeek, all I know is every time I power up my 49tx and listen to music and movies I am still amazed and very happy with my purchace Regardless of the debates ;)
BTW.. I go through the same thing over at the personal watercraft forum ,kawasaki, yamaha or sea doo! and yes my kawasaki ultra 150(ya thats 150 horsepower) is the fastest on the water period:D
Bob

PaulKH

Second Unit
I am just more and more impressed with my 49TX as time goes on. It's hard to believe my ancient speakers now sound SO good.

Put in a surround concert DVD like Sting's All This Time, or Eagles' Hell Freezes Over and it'll blow you away.

Many 'critics' who say it doesn't have this or that feature probably couldn't afford this receiver or high end separates.

And rumors are already out that Pioneer will offer a $500 upgrade to give firewire on the 49TX anyway.

FYI, I prefer all channel MCACC to front align.

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
I hesitate to jump into the fray; but, what the heck.

This thread prompted me to check the unit out. MCACC really does make sense. I just spent a couple of hours playing with the 49tx and offer the following observations. After running mcacc, the 49er sounds considerably better than it did before. However, there was still some audible fuzziness in the 200-400Hz range. I then compared it with the McIntosh MHT100(I am admittedly biased here) and ended up deciding to keep my Mac.

However, I did learn something of the value of matching speaker timbre, and added a graphic equalizer for the the center channel. The front spread is even more coherent than before; and this seems to have a positive impact on the overall experience.

The 49tx is clearly the best receiver Pioneer has made in years. But, at this price point, I suggest listening to the MHT100. To my ears the sound is flat out cleaner; this is something no amount of equalization can achieve.

Marty

I have spent a great deal of my very early morning reading this thread from the beginning. I have learned a great deal. Thanks Guys.

This will probably come across as a "dumb ass newbie question", but I need to ask. First, I'm seriously considering the 49TX to drive 200 watt mains and a group of smaller speakers (100w) for surround sound. I listen to a great deal of classical stereo music in a large open, high ceiling room. I read here the 49TX puts out 200 watts in 2 channel and 130 watts in 5.1 mode. My question is: Do these high end receivers have a "mode" button that shuts down the other speakers and sub and redirects power to the mains for stereo only? If so I thought "discreet" meant each channel had its own power amp, meaning your only going to get X amount of power out of each amp, regardless of the configuration.I want to start out with a full rich pair of mains with pleanty of headroom for the mains. The 49TX seems to be a nice starting point for my needs. I can always add an amp later if I need to juice up the rest of the speakers or decide to upgrade my mains. I don't see going behond 5.1 for HT use, but it will be nice to have an upgrade path.

Thanks in advance for tolerating yet another clueless newbie. I do have a local Denon dealer, but I feel kinda cheap going in and taking up his time knowing I will mail order my receiver. If its not Denon, Definitive tech, or Adcom, he's not interested in conversation. Must be a margin thing.

Thanks,

Robert Tonkin

Juneau, Alaska

JohnDW

Agent
Danny- when is baby lexicon 12 coming out ? price ? features ?

Also, Im a little confused by your message- On balance, you like the MCAC but will still go with separates ?

Finally, would like to hear eveyone thoughts on my situation - I dont have a big room per se (20X18x8) - but has a few nooks (not entriely symmetrical

1.not sure whether a 7.1 implemnentaion would add 5.1 (?) if I have to sit 14 feet from LCD projected image from Pioneer 9000Z

2. My far (rear wall ) is open to large basement rec room -

will be using using closely matched and (reputedly) flat speakers with tight vertical dispersion (M&K THX 150 package)

will MCAC help address the unsual aspects of this room driving more toward the Pioneer ? Seems like people who can control a regularly shaped room dont need this if they use matched speakers and experiemnt with the Rat Shack meter -

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks