What's new

Denon 5800 upgrade or Pioneer VS49TX (1 Viewer)

JaleelK

Second Unit
Before spending your money on any of these choices, consider that Pioneer will come out with a new replacement model with DVI and Firewire for the 49tx.
I knew that was going to happen to people who purchased the 49tx, its never a good idea to purchase a flagship receiver these days that's not hardware upgradeable. Nice purchase for all of you who thought the 49tx is was the greatest receiver on the planet. :)

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Just went through the HTcentral site and its unpleasant to know that these friggin manufacturers cant and wont make a flagship receiver thats completely upgradable. They will definetly leave out some feature 'only' for the new flagship that cant be upgraded in the old flagship so people plunk down the extra money and get a new one instead of upgrading the old one.

Frankly how many people are bothered by this practice?

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Frankly how many people are bothered by this practice?
Aslam, quite a few I'm sure. I have a 5800 and although I'm happy Denon came through on the upgrade they sure took a long time doing it and its not exactly a cheap upgrade. I personally am probably going to forego the upgrade and wait a bit, save some money and buy a higher end pre/pro with multi-channel amps.

If you want true upgradability the pre/pro's seem to be the way to go. The Tag, Lex's and Meridian as examples. Not cheap but upgradable for real.

Patrick

JaleelK

Second Unit
Aslam, quite a few I'm sure. I have a 5800 and although I'm happy Denon came through on the upgrade they sure took a long time doing it and its not exactly a cheap upgrade. I personally am probably going to forego the upgrade and wait a bit, save some money and buy a higher end pre/pro with multi-channel amps.
You are a very smart shopper, I think waiting is a very smart thing to do, however, be careful not over spend on amps and pre/pros.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This is one of my concerns about some of the flagship receivers that have come out recently. A few revceivers have firewire conections but are not really upgradable. I am still looking at a 5803 or 49TX and will not upgrade for at least 5 years. At that point in time I figure that there may be a new surround format being intorduced? That is one of the reasons I am looking at the 5803 because of its flexabiltiy. The Pioneer 49 is now slowtch ether so I will be weighing that as well. I will not discount the value of a pre/pro but may wait and buy the amplifiers first so I have that covered when and if I go that route.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Before spending your money on any of these choices, consider that Pioneer will come out with a new replacement model with DVI and Firewire for the 49tx.
If you want to use the DVI or firewire connections, you have to buy the DV-49AVI.

I was planning on buying the DV-49AVI but what good will the DVI connection do me? My current 49TX doesn't have any DVI inputs. And I don't want to go through another upgrade so soon. My 49TX is only 5 months old. Even if Pioneer does have an upgrade kit like the Denon 5800, I don't plan on sending it in. I went ahead and bought the DV-47A and a Monster Power HTS-5100. It was more important to upgrade the surge protector. I wouldn't be able to afford the HTS-5100 if I did buy the DV-49AVI.

Spero D

Second Unit
If you want true upgradability the pre/pro's seem to be the way to go. The Tag, Lex's and Meridian as examples. Not cheap but upgradable for real.
Though you may have to wait a while for the upgrades for new sound formats and the like. Eg. DTS-ES Discrete, THX Ultra 2, 192 Dual DAC's, MCACC, Video Conversion, etc. IMO Flagship Recievers/Amplifiers are always leading the field in new technology development. The rivalry between Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo and lastly Yamaha to out do each other and push the envelope benefits us all in the long run.

Spero D.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
The 49tx with a 200x3 amp across the front is a great combo. Isn't the 49tx about $800 cheaper than the Denon 5803? Hhmm, $800 can buy a nice 3 channel amp

Yes , and what a neccesity that would be!

The upgrades to the pre-pro's/ rcvrs don't ussually come quick enough for the "gearists", so for these people the new piece every 10 months seems to be a better option than buying up-gradable equipment

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
basically the Denon 5800 and the Pioneer 49TX are both very nice receivers. It boils down to what features you like better and what sounds the best to you. If I had a 5800 I would do the upgrade, unless you are that unhappy with it. The Denon has some flexability that you wont get with the 49TX. At the same time the Elite 49TX has very nice features and sounds great. I would weight what is to be truly gained by buying another reciever in sound quality and that might help you in your desicion? I do not beleive that the upgrade would be more exspensive than doing the upgrade but I may be wrong? Let us know if you keep your Denon, its a great peice.

RudolphT

Agent
If you want to use the DVI or firewire connections, you have to buy the DV-49AVI.
I believe the logic here is flawed. I would hate to wait for a vaporware product. I would hate to miss out on the great sound of the 49TX waiting for DVI & firewire to become the norm.

I use the 49TX to switch 3 seperate HD sources & it works great. I also have a monitor with DVI in to also switch there that source. Regardless the sound and it's hook up n(the main reason to have an integrated receiver) will be around and standard for many years.

The 49TX has the best feature/$ mix & flexibility for me. I'm very happy with the unit until I replace it. I am close to having it longer than the 989 & the 5800 with no intention to trade up anytime soon.

Of course I agree with Spero's points on competition. We are talking consumer electronics here.

Tim

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
Rajeek good to see you back on top. Oh I've decided to sell my new 49TX because it is already outdated, along with it I'm selling my PRO510, my RP91, and my Sony DVPS9000 ES. So I can wait for DVI and firewire that does not exist yet, has not been set as a universal standard, and is not going to look or sound any better. Please excuse my sarcasm. I bet all the cable manufacturers can't wait for these new digital interfaces so they can sell one cable instead of 20, and of course the $150 Monster or Audio Quest will sound so much better than the $50 Rat Shak. Oops excuse my sarcasm again.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Rejeek way to go!

Mike, what are you replacing your rp91 with or have you decided yet? the reason I ask is I am thinking of upgrading my sony ns700 to the rp91 partly for better pic not that the sony is bad just the panny sounds great and dvd-a as well

Robert George

Screenwriter
Bob, Mike is being sarcastic. I'm pretty sure he likes his RP91. IMO, that player still has no competition at anywhere near its pricepoint and it is now in its second year.

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
Bob , sorry you misunderstood my sarcasm, I agree with Obi the RP91 is a great player. My rant was directed at the Pioneer naysayers who claim a product with a great feature like MCACC is already obsolete, because of a digital interface that isn't available on 99.9% of dvd players and display devices. I pitty all the people with hot rod Runco projectors that want firewire:D
Hey Obi and Rajeek what is your opinion on TX vs SX for the rear channels

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
Tony sorry for the misunderstanding the 49TX is still current, and I don't think Pioneer has announced a replacement or an upgrade. Some folks on this thread however seem to think it is obsolete because it does not support forewire or DVI.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Mike:

Personally, I only use EX decoding on EX encoded soundtracks and then only use "TX". I have found the "SX" mode introduces odd phase effects on some soundtracks so I don't use it. For non-EX 5.1 tracks, THX Ultra 2 is my mode of choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks