What's new

Denon 1082 (1 Viewer)

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
I tried this post in another forum, but nobody wanted to play. Anyone here have answers?

RE: the 1082
I have heard this is actually a re-badge of the 3802. If that is true, where is a good review of either product?

I've also heard that the 3802 is capable of Dolby EX processing, even though it isn't listed as an EX receiver. Does anyone know by experience?

For those who have owned or demo'd either the 3802 or 1082, impressions of the unit?

Finally, how programmable is the remote? I had a Denon "programmable" remote that gave me access to about 10 programmable buttons. Is this the same?

Thanks,

Doug

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
i have a 3802. it doesnt show it as dd ex, it shows it as 6.1 surround. its exactly the same thing. they just didnt get the license to list it as dd ex until lucasfilm allowed them to start doing so. in fact, i just watched harry potter 2, and the dd ex flag was present and lit the indicator on my front panel. (one of the few dvds with the dd ex flag)(dts-es rules!)(i wish dts was the default track on dvd's, not a second extra as it is on most)( i dont know how dolby digital got to be the standard on dvds, even when you see the dts logo on the credits, that still doesnt mean they put it on the dvd! must be to save money i guess)

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
I share your sentiments re: the DTS preference. My current receiver is an HK 520 which sounds great with music, but can't do the EX and doesn't do home theater as well as the 3802/1082...
I'm considering the change. I respect Denon's build/design quality. I'm not quite as certain about their amp. Though some say they are more accurate, many say, compared to HK, Denon is RELATIVELY "thin". I would tend to agree, but the 3802 seems warmer than their lower end models. I'm just not sure if I would miss the "rich, warm HK sound."

Difficult choice...

Doug

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Doug: Just curious... Is the 1082 new? It was replaced by the 1083/3803, which has been out since last fall.

I went from a 3802 to a 3803 and, while the sonics, IMO, didn't change much, the user friendliness improved a good deal... (I only use my receivers as pre/pros. So I never heard my 3802's amps and haven't heard my 3803's either.)

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
For either/both DonT and Chuck

How much can the 3802 remote learn? I like the programmability of the HK (but the layout is really bad). I don't have to use more than one remote very often.

Chuck,

The 1082 is new (from Magnolia HiFi for less than $700). I realize that the 3803/1083 are better (components in them are improved and they have video up-conversion), but I can't afford them. I can get all my money back (through Costco) on the 520, and then buy the 1082... The real test is to take it home and listen, but it's such a pain and the WAF decreases with each receiver change. I get tired of all the tear-down and comparison too, so I want to get an idea of what I'm getting into.

ALERT Before all the "Macho Men" out there give me advice re: the WAF, I love her and she's kept me together for more than 32 years so I listen to and care about what she thinks.
RELAX. Some of us are happily married and work at it. YOU do what YOU want. I like my life.

Doug

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Well, in truth, I never used the 3802's remote. I never cared for any of the remotes that came with any receiver I've ever owned. Once good universal remotes became available, I switched and have never looked back.

Regarding my 3802, I first ran it with a Marantz RC-2000 MkII universal remote and then later with a Home Theater Master MX-500. (The MX-500 is, IMO, the button-based universal remote to beat at this point in time.)

So, sorry... I can't be of any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks