What's new

Decided to give the X1 a try (1 Viewer)

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
After getting a subscription to NetFlix, I realized that I like to spend a whole lot of time watching DVD's...so I decided to give FP a shot. I'm aware of the limitations of a projector of this technology and at this price range, and I can always return it if it doesn't work out for me.

I've never seen one of these digital projectors displaying a DVD or HDTV before, so it will be interesting to note how the X1 compares to my Tosh 42H81. I'm setting my expectations from "moderate to moderately low," so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Anyways, I learned alot about FP here, so "thanks" to everyone who answered my FP questions and provided equipment reviews. I'll post my impressions sometime next week.

Slightly off-topic, but I had a horrendous overall buying experience from bestbuy.com and I'm really tempted to never shop there again for high-$$ purchases. At least not until they improve their customer service.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Congrats Josh

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what this PJ can do. I have set up a number of these for friends and the best advice is to use the best cables and source you can. A bda player or cables can really look bad on this PJ. On the other side a good player and cables can make it look amazing.

Enjoy

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what this PJ can do. I have set up a number of these for friends and the best advice is to use the best cables and source you can. A bda player or cables can really look bad on this PJ. On the other side a good player and cables can make it look amazing.
Hi Doug -

Well now you're raising my expectations. I'll have to intentionally lower them again so that I don't expect too much. :)

Now, about the cables/source. For testing out the video, I'm going to try three sources:

(1) SDTV/HDTV from my set top box (Monster MV3 component + component-to-VESA breakout cable or component-to-svideo)
(2) Toshiba SD-5700 DVD player (MV3 + comp-to-VESA or comp-to-svideo)
(3) PC DVD-player (VGA)

I'll try (1) and (2) with both progressive and interlaced, and that'll give me a chance to see how well the Faroudja thingie works. My Monster MV3 cables are pretty nice, but I'm a bit concerned about the cheap component-to-VESA adapter that InFocus sells. I'd hate to use high quality cables and then have it all ruined by this stupid adapter. Can anyone comment on the quality of this adapter, or recommend a higher quality alternative?

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
The Faroudja does an excelent job, much better than almost all of the players I have seen matched with the X1. I am not familier with your Tosh though. I have tried the Denon 2900, Sony ES9000 and a number of lower end units. They all looked better letting Faroudja work than letting the player do it. The exception I found uses the same chip as the X1 and did have a slightly better picture than running it interlaced. That is the Kenwood 6050 I have hooked up now. This player also removed the rainbows we were seeing with some of the players.

Best thing to do is run the player both ways and see which one works best with your player.

I was very surprised at how well the VESA adapter works. I ordered a Bluejeans component to HDvga cable and couldn't see a difference. rather than spend a bunch on a VGA switch and additional cables I sent it back and went Bluejeans component all the way and kept the VESA adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks