Decided to give the X1 a try

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Josh~H, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

After getting a subscription to NetFlix, I realized that I like to spend a whole lot of time watching DVD's...so I decided to give FP a shot. I'm aware of the limitations of a projector of this technology and at this price range, and I can always return it if it doesn't work out for me.

I've never seen one of these digital projectors displaying a DVD or HDTV before, so it will be interesting to note how the X1 compares to my Tosh 42H81. I'm setting my expectations from "moderate to moderately low," so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Anyways, I learned alot about FP here, so "thanks" to everyone who answered my FP questions and provided equipment reviews. I'll post my impressions sometime next week.

Slightly off-topic, but I had a horrendous overall buying experience from bestbuy.com, and I'm really tempted to never shop there again for high-$$ purchases. At least not until they improve their customer service.

2. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Congrats Josh

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what this PJ can do. I have set up a number of these for friends and the best advice is to use the best cables and source you can. A bda player or cables can really look bad on this PJ. On the other side a good player and cables can make it look amazing.

Enjoy

3. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

4. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

The Faroudja does an excelent job, much better than almost all of the players I have seen matched with the X1. I am not familier with your Tosh though. I have tried the Denon 2900, Sony ES9000 and a number of lower end units. They all looked better letting Faroudja work than letting the player do it. The exception I found uses the same chip as the X1 and did have a slightly better picture than running it interlaced. That is the Kenwood 6050 I have hooked up now. This player also removed the rainbows we were seeing with some of the players.

Best thing to do is run the player both ways and see which one works best with your player.

I was very surprised at how well the VESA adapter works. I ordered a Bluejeans component to HDvga cable and couldn't see a difference. rather than spend a bunch on a VGA switch and additional cables I sent it back and went Bluejeans component all the way and kept the VESA adapter.