What's new

Newbie FP help, what all do i need? (1 Viewer)

Krelkor

Auditioning
Ok guys
i think i decided on going digital front projection for my fathers new home theater

Now then, here are my questions
what all, besides the projector itself, do i need?
ive been looking on the forums every day, and i hear mentions of certain things
so here are my questions in point forum

1)
What is this scaler i hear about? do i need one of these. This will be only for digital football and widescreen dvds(with the occasional fullscreen, we try to by widescreen) how much are these guys? can someone recommend a decent brand or model?

2)
These felt masks i hear about, are they necessary? i gather they increase black level perceptions. are there any screens with this built in? which leads me to my next question

3)
what do i do about a screen!, i dont know how big we need yet, dont even know how big we can get with the projector, i assume this should be the last thing you buy. What are some good brands, how much will this cost me?

4)
rainbow effect. Ive heard iffy things about this, i dont even know what it is.... explain please :)

5)
Finally!
what projector!
i have not even looked at these guys yet, i dont have time to go audition, but what should i look for when i go audition
ive heard about the Z1 and X1, so i should definatly take a look at these?

finally, lets give this a budget of around 3000. for the whole projection setup.
We want best quality possible. what kind of connectors should i look into
RGBHV? component video? DVI?
we will buy the dvd player to match the projector :)

thanks guys, im still learning, sorry if yall get these posts everyday.
--steve

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Finally, what projector
Good luck auditioning a lower cost projector. You might be able to see an x1 at best buy, under the worst possible conditions. Thats about it.

I would start by deciding if you want a 4:3 or 16:9 projector. If you will be watching mostly dvds and high def programing, you probably want a 16:9 projector. That eliminates all the entry level dlp projectors. I would look at the Sanyo Z1, the Panny AE300, both of which are lcd 16:9 projectors. They are currently being replaced with new models (Z2 and AE500), which appear to be much better, but will probably be $500-$700 more expensive.

I have the Z1, and I have been 100% satisfied with it,

Krelkor

Auditioning
sir that was a great reply
i thank you

what about inputs
does the various different ones.....;
DVI component s-video RGBHV
really make a difference?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Yes, the input does make a difference, especially with digital displays. Here they are in order of best to worst:

HDMI = DVI w/HDCP = DVI = HD SDI
RGBHV
VGA (HD15 RGB)
Component (YPbPr)
S-Video
Composite
RF

Krelkor

Auditioning
Ok
do any cheap projectors that fit in my price range have DVI input?
do any dvd players have DVI?

what does HDTV boxes have as outputs?

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I believe that the new Sanyo and Panasonics have dvi inputs. They should sell around $2,000 when they are available. The Z1 and AE300 just have component and VGA connections.

There are a couple of dvd players that have dvi outputs. The only model name I know is the Bravo D1.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't buy a projector just based on what inputs are available. A crappy projector with DVI is still a crappy projector. Buy based on the PQ, and your needs first.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
A DVD like Dark City will be the real killer test for projectors. Any projector can make Toy Story look good but this dvd will be a real test for shadow detail.

Krelkor

Auditioning
well lets leave the projector till last
its much more subjective than the others

so anyone else have any input on accessories id need to account for?

RandyMathis

Stunt Coordinator
You could get a Sanyo Z2 (LCD no rainbows) for a bit less than the msrp of $2000. Shop around on the web and call the business' to get a better price. It works.

You could get a Bravo D1 (dvd player) for less than $200.

You could get a HDTV/Directv box with a new customer deal for around $400-500.

Then make a screen from MDF painted with Misty Evening paint by Glidden for about a total of $50

Buy a set of component cables to hook up the HDTV box
Buy a DVI-I cable for the Bravo.

Done for less than $3K.

I am not advocating any of these products. I am merely suggesting them. I mentioned the Z2 because it is new, he mentioned rainbows, and it's competition, the AE500 is not available in the U.S. I mentioned the Bravo because it better fits the budget than the others. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks