What's new

DD vs DTS... Calibration of each. (1 Viewer)

Dan M~

Second Unit
I have the VE disk and have run through the audio calibrations. My reciever has the ability to set audio levels for both DD and DTS. The problem is that VE only calibrates the 5.1 setup (does this include the DD decoder in the loop?). The DTS decoder is not in the system during the calibrations (is the DD decoder?). How do you adjust your audio levels to take into account the DTS (and/or DD? if needed) decoder?
This calibration would seem to be required before a person could compare the audio differences between a DD and DTS sound track. Since I see the DD vs DTS controversy is so popular, someone must have found a way to adjust these levels
confused.gif

Thanks for any guidance...
-Dan

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Judah

Screenwriter
By audio level, do you mean DD&DTS LFE? If so, the Ultimate DVD Platinum contains test tones including an adjustment for LFE.
I had to boost my DTS LFE +7 to match the Dolby level.
If you are going to wing it, it would help to know what kind of processor you are using.
DJ

Dan M~

Second Unit
>David Judah wrote:
>By audio level, do you mean DD&DTS LFE? If so, the >Ultimate DVD Platinum contains test tones including an >adjustment for LFE.
Are these "Dolby Digital" encoded and "DTS" encoded test tones? I'm looking for tones that are encoded in the repective formats, so they are handled by the decoder just like the audio from the DVD will be. My understanding is that DD and DTS decoders handle (Boost or Cut) the signals differently. Thus my reciever has separate adjustments for the DD and DTS audio. If the test tone does is not processed through the DTS decoder, then I can not adjust the DTS audio level properly.
>I had to boost my DTS LFE +7 to match the Dolby level.
YES! That is what I mean. So you found a DTS encoded test tone to use? Or did you you just pick a track off a movie DVD, that has both a DD and DTS, that you compared?
>If you are going to wing it, it would help to know what >kind of processor you are using.
I have a Yamaha. I do not want to wing it, that is why I am looking for the proper test tones for each (DD and DTS) formats. I can not find them on the VE disk. Does the Ultimate DVD have both?
Thanks for your input,
-Dan

Steve Peterson

Stunt Coordinator
The test tones on The Ultimate DVD-Platium seperately encoded into 5 different format: Plain stereo, DD Stereo, DPL, DD and DTS. The only reason why I picked this up was the fact that it did have true DTS test signals. I did a review on this disc awhile back. It might still be on the server.
Using this disc, I found that I had to set my DTS bass output to +9 to match the same level as DD.
Steve.
------------------

Dan M~

Second Unit
Steve,
Thanks, thats what I need. I believe that alot of the DD vs. DTS disagreements are based on the fact that very few people have calibrated thier DTS levels with DTS test tones. Clibration with VE is not a calibration of your DTS levels. Looks like I need to look for The Ultimate DVD at my local B&M's. Thanks again for the guidance.
-Dan

David Judah

Screenwriter
I have a Yamaha too, Dan(RXV995). The default settings are 0 for both, but the Dolby's range is -20 to 0 and DTS's are -10 to +10.
I was more than a little suprised that my DTS LFE was underrepresented for awhile. I guess all that boosting DTS does made up for it.
wink.gif

DJ

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Dolby utilize a 10db boost at the Lfe as part of the decoding process.
I'm not sure if DTS does the same,but it seems they don't as many people report that they LFE trim for the DTS should be set considerably higher.
Other then that there shouldn't be any difference between DD and DTS as far as speaker levels go.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Dan M~

Second Unit
Lewis,
Your logic seems to be disproved by the fact that others have had to modify the DTS levels to get proper calibration. The (many?) manufactures build in the ability to adjust both the DTS and DD levels during calibration. The DD and DTS calibrations is there for a reason. Once I get a DTS encoded test tone, I will see if my levels need to be adjusted. If you have not calibrated your system with BOTH DD and DTS levels, you can not fairly compare the differences of the two audio tracks.
-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks