What's new

DD just stopped working (1 Viewer)

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
Today when i went to play a movie I noticed that the DD light wasn't on. I have the parts express optical to coax converter thing which has worked for the past 5 months. I fooled around with it and made sure everything was correct and it was. Still no DD. I haven't moved anything so it should work. My receiver is a pioneer vsx-d606s hooked to a rca dvd player. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Jamie

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Did you recently go into the DVD player's menu and inadvertently change any settings? It might be set to PCM.

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
i have not changed anything at all. Ichecked the settings and it is set for DD.

Jamie

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
OK. So are you saying that no DD 5.1 sound emerges from your speakers when you play a DVD or just that the DD indicator light doesn't come on?

If the former, what sound mode do you hear...going by your speakers?

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
I hear nothing at all and no indicator light comes on. This just happened all of a sudden and i'm getting mad. When i plugged the converter into my cd player I had no sound from that either. So it has to be either the converter or the coax connection on my receiver. Hopefully its just the converter.

Thanks

Jamie

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Do you have the receiver set to AUTO detection of the incoming signal? You may have inadvertently changed it the last time it worked. If all else fails reset the microprocessor if needed(and possible).

Kevin

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
My receiver is usually set to digital and it can be set to auto detect but I leave it at digital. I have tryed reseting the receiver. There is a button on the from that resets it but i'm not sure what it resets.

Thanks

Jamie

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
I can't remove the converter. My receiver has a coax connection and my dvd player only has optical. Thats why I bought the converter. My friend is coming over today and were gonna try the converter on his receiver. Hopefully its the converter not the digital connection.

Thanks

jamie

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. Everything works now and I did absolutely nothing. I plugged in my friends receiver in then we plugged mine back in a it started working for some odd reason. Well i'm happy and hopefully it doesn't crap out again.

Thanks

Jamie

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. Everything works now and I did absolutely nothing. I plugged in my friends receiver in then we plugged mine back in a it started working for some odd reason. Well i'm happy and hopefully it doesn't crap out again.

Thanks

Jamie

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
It sure sounds like either the converter or one of the two different types of cable are faulty. Heat expansion may be at play. Test the cables as best you can on other people's equipment. Jiggle them and tug gently when connected. If they pass the test then it's the converter that's flaky.

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I have ruled out that its definetly the converter. I hooked it to my friends receiver and it did the same thing. No Sound. So I'm gonna order a new converter. Anyone know if there is a better one besides the one from parts express?

Thanks

Jamie

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I don't know how much these converters are but heck a new DVD player that will put out Optical and coax is around a hundred bucks!

Wes

Jay_Leonard

Stunt Coordinator
You wouldn't buy a DVD player that cheap but you would buy one that does not plug into your receiver?

How much is the converter, better yet how much are two converters?

Does the high priced DVD player you currently have have 5.1 outputs? you could skip your receivers DAC's alltogether.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks