What's new

DCT 6412 Comcast Box (1 Viewer)

JustinJB

Grip
Hello,

The Comcast HD box (Motorola DCT 6412), has a DVI-D port on the back. If I were to get a DVI to HDMI converter, and plug the HDMI wire into my reciever, would I get audio in addition to the video? If not, which I think will be the case, is it possible to use the DVI-D to HDMI for video and some other connection for audio?

Thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No DVI connector can transmit or receive audio, so if DVI is in the chain, audio is out. Luckily the HD box will have an optical and/or coax digital audio connector. Just use this to get digital audio to the receiver.

JustinJB

Grip
Very good...now, will the reciever recognize the fact that the audio coming from the HD box (via optical or otherwise) is associated with the HDMIed DVI cable, or at least have a way to set (for example) HDMI port 1's audio to the aforementione digital audio in?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

A receiver should either have a digital audio input that is hard wired to the TV input or one that can be assigned to the TV input via the setup menu. Usually it is the lesser expensive receivers that are hard wired. The mid-range priced and above allow you to assign any coax/optical in to any video input selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks