What's new

Options for HT setup: digital cable-DVR to receiver AND direct to HDTV (1 Viewer)

eman01

Auditioning
Real Name
David Swastek
1st post!

I am in the process of setting up my new HT including Sharp Aquos LC-46SE94U LCD HDTV, Onkyo TX-DS707 receiver and Comcast cable HD cable box with DVR (I believe it will be the Motorola DCT-6412; hasn't arrived yet). I would like to run the cable box through the receiver to take advantage of using my HT 5.1 speaker system for movies, etc. I'd also, at my kids' request, like to run straight from the cable box to the HDTV, so that they don't have to mess with the receiver when they're simply watching cartoons, etc. (also will help keep the volume/distraction down when I'M not watching TV :) )

The cable box has only one HDMI output. I'd prefer not to add the hassle of an HDMI switching box because of the added complexity (trying to SIMPLIFY here). So my question is, which of the following choices is better?

A. to run HDMI from cable box straight to HDTV, and run component video + digital audio from cable box to receiver (with receiver connected to HDTV via HDMI)

OR

B. to run component + analog red/white audio from cable box straight to HDTV (no digital audio input on this model HDTV) and HDMI from cable box to receiver (with receiver connected to HDTV via HDMI).

If anyone could summarize any & all advantages / disadvantages of each approach I'd appreciate it much. If there are alternative (esp. better) approaches I'd be happy to receive those as well. With this Onkyo receiver, I'm not knowledgable enough about how the upconversion works to know how it impacts each choice (we'll have both HD and non-HD programming coming through the cable box; how and whether upconversion will occur via HDMI vs. component input is not very clear to me). I've never had DVR before and don't know how this affects the scenario either.

P.S. I do realize that with choice A the receiver to HDTV via HDMI is somewhat redundant since the cable box would already be connected directly via HDMI. However I still need that connection for the DVD (and eventually) Blu-ray player. Does running the video through the receiver offer advantages / disadvantages for the cable box in this regard?

I know that's a lot of questions. Thanks for any & all feedback.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Then get a Harmony remote control. No matter what equipment you add or how you wire it up, changing sources will be as simple as pressing 1 button. I added an HDMI switch into my system, programmed it into my remote and no one in the family knew it had been added. You can set up an activity where the kids can watch cartoons with just the cable box and the TV and set up an activity for you to watch with the sound going through the receiver.

I'd connect the video to get the best possible quality (HDMI) that you can. When you get a Blu Ray player, you will need the HDMI connection to the receiver so that you can get the new HD audio formats. So wire it up now so that the additional equipment will be an easy add in. And check out Monoprice for inexpensive HDMI cables.

-Robert

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

Why do you need to run component to the receiver?

Just run HDMI from the cable box to the TV and connect the optical audio from the cable box to the receiver.

You'll never have to change inputs on the TV (it's always coming straight from the cable box) and if you want to listen to 5.1, just turn the receiver on.

eman01

Auditioning
Real Name
David Swastek
Robert J: I plan to get a Harmony remote; still wondered about the best way to wire. And thanks for the monoprice advice; I already have a shopping cart full on their site and was waiting to clear up this issue for my final purchase.

Kevin Stewart: I actually did also think of just leaving the cable box to HDTV hookup by HDMI, and running only audio to the Onkyo receiver. However:
1) for non-high def programming, I didn't know if there would be an advantage to running VIDEO signal through the receiver, which has an upconversion feature. I do not believe this would be present running the signal straight through to the HDTV.

2) For the audio hookup from cable box to receiver: way down the road, if this ever becomes an issue (certainly not one presently) I believe that HDMI cable will carry some high def audio content that standard S/PDIF (coax or optical) does not carry. I don't know if cable boxes will ever deliver that kind of audio but it's at least worth thinking about.

I probably will end up running HDMI from cable box to HDTV and coax digital from cable box to receiver. However I will at least temporarily hook up component video from cable box to receiver -- I am very curious to compare both standard and high def programming with both modes of video input to see if there's a difference.

Thanks for responses!

psaturday

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip Saturday
Also HDMI does nothing for you from your cable box, Cable will only do 1080i which is equal to component.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks