What's new

David Lynch's DUNE--new DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
The sleeper must awaken / absolutely no regrets

For the sake of my heart and mind I’ll save my excitement for the eventual reality when this streets.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Fantastic news for one of my favourite movies. :D

And how can this be? For Lynch is the Kwisatz Haderach!

Joe:C

Second Unit
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Wow, this is one of the most surprising things I've ever read. After years and years of saying he'd never revisit Dune, Lynch suddenly changes his mind. I'll gladly wait for this new and improved edition to hit stores.

I wonder if now we'll get a 2-disc "ultimate" edition similar to the Legend set?

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I'm definitely there already, but the new news makes it very exciting that Lynch is creating an Extended Director's Cut. Wow, the only thing that would make it even better for David Lynch fans if the deleted scenes for blue Velvet were found.

AmitS

Grip
Oh. My. God!!!

I have been waiting for this news for 20 years baby!!

Heh heh. I wrote Universal a letter back in the 80s stating I'd pay much more than retail (at the time, for whatever a deluxe VHS went for) for a version like this. Thought maybe it'd show them I CARED dammit!

And now I guess I owe them.

Suddenly, I know what ALL my friends and family are getting for Christmas this year!(assuming it's out by then of course :D )

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Serious geek-boy reaction, here. I am stunned, stunned, stunned.

Yesterday I called up the distributor for the video store I worked at, asked him about Dune, sad that it had been removed from our order (oh, yes, we had already ordered it). I asked him if there was any way to inquire about a new street date. He tried, failed, I thanked him...

He called me back five minutes late. "Hey, so I spoke to the Universal rep, and he says that they are still supposed to stick to the May 10th release date. So I'm putting the DVD back in your pre-order list."

I thanked him, over and over, but was confused about how this could be possible. Then I saw the news at the Bits and literally blew a fuse. Utter shock. Dune is my earliest movie memory, probably the most important movie in my life as a film-goer. And Lynch is getting his director's cut. This is major. Major, major.

Unless Lynch got involved with this earlier than was reported, it would be pretty impossible for him to re-edit the film and get the DVD re-designed in six weeks, but... I guess I'll know on May 10th. :)

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I hope we at least get to have all the deleted scenes Lynch might scrap for his new cut as supplemental material.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
It may have been that Lynch decided that he didn't want someone else's version of his film to supplant his own -- since Universal was going to release an extended version with or without his participation, he might as well participate and make it his own.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
So excited I can hardly stand it.

:D :D :D

Ugh...and Dune is also scheduled for HD-DVD release...ugh! I'm a BluRay hold-out but if they put Lynches D.C. of Dune out on HD-DVD I just may have to support both formats...

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Eureka!;) Universal is holding “Lost Highway” hostage in order for a Lynch supervised extended re-cut of DUNE. I’m just kidding: although it would be funny.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

All I can say is...WOW! And while I will gladly hold my breath, I have good lungs. I hope this doesn't take years to put together - a la the Lynch-approved Eraserhead.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
This is starting to sound like the bogus Dragonslayer:SE joke from a few years ago..
...."isolated score in DTS".....:rolleyes::wink: ....I didn't bite at that one and I'll hold any undue excitement on this one until the official facts are out.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
ah yes...that Dragonslayer SE joke

:laugh: :D :D

You'd have thought I ripped the very heart out of several HTF members and stomped all over it...some folks apparently didn't find the humor... ;)

What about the Song of the South DVD joke last April?

grin...

Bill Hunt

Insider
This is NOT an April Fool's Joke, guys.

No one should really be surprised that Lynch is denying it. He's notorious for backing away from any kind of publicity related to his films. Look at what happened to Criterion's original plans to release Eraserhead on DVD. I'm sure debate will rage around the Net. All I can tell you is that my information came directly from reliable sources at Universal. We posted it because the news was about to leak anyway - it was inevitable. That said, I'll be just as upset as any of you if people get all up in a tizzy and Lynch backs away from the project because of it.

Frankly, the less people bug Lynch about Dune, the better. Fans just need to be patient and let him do his thing... and with any luck, the new cut will happen as planned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorlanm
Recent bookmarks