What's new

David Lynch's DUNE--new DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Supposedly a DVD-18, doubled sided, dual layer, so it is basically two discs.

Universal has become fond of double-sided discs as I've discovered with my Battlestar Galactica collection.

That said, IS it two versions via seamless branching?

I wouldn't think so if only one version has DTS. One version of the film on each side makes sense to me. Almost has to be that way. Besides, much easier to have a totally different cut of the film that way.

Now, don't everybody cry because the extras are likely split across two sides.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
The cover art is up over at The Digital Bits. Personally, it's a thumbs-down, especially since the video cover art was already a pretty nice piece of work. Oh, well. Won't change my mind about the release. Still stoked :D

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I guess they got the guy who did the new Fifth Element montage cover to work his magic a second time.

I'm assuming that the metal case is on top of this cover?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Here's a link to DVDAnswers of the cover.

Above is a shot of the cover. Below that will give a slightly better idea as to what the case is like.
My opinion and factual analysis is that the Sci-Fi version runs circles around Lynch's version of DUNE, only being that it's far closer to the book. Yet Lynch's version has a style all to his own. If Lynch wasn't buggered by the studio, it'd be much closer to the book as the Sci-Fi version yet have a much better feel and tone instead of the other being a mini-series with limited budgetary values.
Granted, I still love Lynch's version and I'll always will, but me being for one where adaptations are closer to the book, I'd say the Sci-Fi mini-series Director's Cut actually has more merit in that department.
Now, I'm just stating observations and not trying to ilicit an arguement or such, but it's great to FINALLY get a DVD of the film with the treatment it so rightly deserves. This is an absolute must buy on the day of it's release. It'll sit proudly in my collection along with the Director's Cut of the Sci-Fi mini-series version (although in a different place because it most resembles an amaray case.)
:D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I like the new cover, this will make it the 4th or 5th alternate cover design artwork to Dune I've had on my shelves since the mid 80's.

Looking forward to seeing the cover artwork for the inevitable HD version.:)

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up for me, Grant.

That cover does look awfully similar to the Fifth Element SE...

I just hope that most of the UK extras are ported over, especially the documentary. Otherwise, I might be looking to import.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I like the cover art. It looks much nicer than the 5th Element cover to me. :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I would bet and hope that like some other DVD-18s in the past, ie: TERMINATOR)-demand will force them to use 2 DVD 9's (in the single case with the flap for disc 2)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
If this thing ever gets to street, I'm grabbing it pronto. I have a feeling the TV cut won't make HD, and this may turn out to be a great collector's item. I may be wrong, but I don't think Lynch will be too pleased with this, but it may be out of his hands. Lynch is *really* against releasing the TV cut - I really can't believe this is in the works!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Hmmmm, I think I'm gonna have to wait until after release and we know exactly what's on this before I buy -- I already have the R2 extended TV cut, and the R2 Sanctuary release, so unless this has something different by way of extras, or in the extended cut, it'd be an unnecessary double dip (triple? I ahve the R4 with DTS release as well. quadruple? I have widescreen VHS too) for me.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I had always thought that the "full" TV version (which has probably been re-edited for time since its original broadcast) was around 182-188 minutes. Perhaps this 177-minute version is the TV cut minus the repeated footage, thus it being in widescreen. Maybe they even finished the effects (i.e. the Fremens' eyes, among other things). Perhaps this is similar to what Anchor Bay did with the Halloween TV version.

At any rate, this looks like a really good release. Looking forward to it. If nothing else, it'll be good to finally have an anamorphic transfer of the theatrical version.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, i'm still unsure about what this Extended Cut is going to be. Since those repeated shots won't work at all in scope, i'm hoping they've re-edited the TV cut into something that will work as a widescreen feature. If not, then its just going to look silly and embarassing when those shots come up.

This is going to be interesting.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I can't wait for this DVD. I love the DVD cover art. I want to see the extended TV cut again. Since they're doing an extended cut of DUNE on DVD, does this mean we will see the extended TV cut of Waterworld eventually on DVD?

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Man, Universal is *really* focusing on Sting for this release. "It's Sting! Remember Sting?! Well, he's back! In a movie! Sting!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks