What's new

David Lynch's DUNE--new DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
There are two versions.

The long version they show on TV (3+ hrs) and the short version you buy at stores (2hr 17min)

Where can a get the long version on DVD. OR whats the best version to own, quality wise. I've been looking all over for the full version on DVD but have been unlucky in my search (This has been going on off and on for a while)

I like them both but I don't wnat to by the cut version if the full length version is out there.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Be careful using the term "cut version" to refer to the theatrical, director-approved version. That doesn't sit well with anyone who does not like to see a studio re-edit a film, either cutting scenes or adding footage that the director would prefer have stayed on the cutting room floor.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
The 3 hour Alan Smithee version is, I believe, availible in region 2. I have seen it on Samzuma.com but it is pan and scan and rather pricey if memory serves.

-- Matt

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
The Alan Smithee version was made for TV and will always be pan/scam. I had the misfortune to watch it when I was last in America, but you like it, so that's all I'll say on the matter. ;)

I'm still holding out for an anamorphic version of the theatrical cut (my LDs will keep me going till that time).

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I love that sig Philip. Hammer movies. Great stuff indeed, especially with Cushing and Lee.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
IMHO, if you want to get a little more background on some of the plot, then the Alan Smithee version is worth seeing, but otherwise avoid. And yes, it's available in R2.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

Uh, yeah, thanks for not answering the question.

Thanks for the help guys. Like I said I like them both. I'd rather have the full version but not at the cost of picture quality. And there's no Anamorphic version out yet, either? Damn.:angry:

I don't know if I'll be able to resist not buying it though.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I have both versions of the 1984 DUNE, my long version is sadly full screen stereo, but if you love this movie as much as I do, than the long version will have you drooling, my copy runs at 173m, with 40mins of extra scenes, (inc. Paul in a duel to the death with a fremen, a baby sandworm vomiting out the spice, etc) ok its basically a rough cut and some scenes are repeated, but David Lynch isn't planning a special edition, so I'm holding on to this.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
The r4 from Force Video in Australia is the theatrical cut and non-anamorphic, but also has full bitrate dts.

Ryan_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
The 3 HR cut is better, but it's in horried Pan and Scan. I personally felt the theatrical film didn't make any sense.

M

MaxY

OK If you want the long version and can handle other then R1 and the 4x3 ratio then you can get it from...

www.diabolikdvd.com

I personally used to really like the Dune Movie but then I read the book and found that the movie was at best a perverted re-telling of the story that turned Paul into an almost superhero.

I don't see how adding to it would help as they just distorted the book so if you really want to enjoy Dune, there is only one way and that is by reading the book. In fact I highly reccomend reading all of the books including the latest 3 by Frank Herbut's son.

Max

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Smithee version has never been released in America on video

There are 2 versions, both P&S since that's the only way this was ever mastered. I hope for a Dune Ultimate Edition that they'll remaster the (IMO far superior) Smithee cut in anamorphic widescreen and remove the redundant scenes.

1-Region 2, Japan. NTSC, about $80, OOP
2-Region 2, UK, PAL, about $25

Remember the UK disc suffers from PAL speedup and you need to be able to handle PAL

I have the PAL disc because the Japanese one is just too expensive for me. It DOES have a great cover too.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

I should have added that I was by no means endorsing Sazuma.com. But that was where I saw it listed. I made my last order with them 2 years ago when it took, I swear 5 months to get the dvd, if not longer.

-- Matt

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The version on DVD is what is intended (although, Lynch would probably prefer a new 5.1 remix and an anamorphic widescreen transfer) by the director.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Hideously off-topic (sorry)...

Thanks, Terrell. I got bored with the old sig, and needed to give Cushing some air-time after a couple of months of Lee. :) Ten points if you can guess which 1.66:1 anamorphic-presented Hammer film the screen grab is from. ;)

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator

"Dune" had 70mm blow-ups in its original run... there already should be a "5.1" mix of the sound, as the split-surround with baby-boom (what we now refer to as "5.1") format had already been established on six-track 70mm soundtracks since the blow-ups of "Apocalypse Now".

Jo_C

Second Unit
In an earlier post, it is stated that there are two versions. Any true DUNE fan knows this isn't entirely true.

Until recently, I had a web site called "DUNE: The Arrakis File", an in-depth Internet look at all the existing versions of the film, and went into detail on all the changes, alterations, additions, and fabrications in the Smithee TV cut (I still have the HTML code, and hope to, in the near future, bring back this site for all to see).

Anyhow, there was, of course, the 137-minute theatrical version, then the Allen Smithee 192-minute TV cut (in short words, originally prepared for either NBC or the Turner networks, but instead went to syndication). The Smithee TV cut was done solely by Universal and TV doctor Fransesca Turner to please fans of the book and those who wanted to see the additional footage that had been cut from the theatrical release. As we all know, David Lynch said "no" to this cut.

The third version was pieced together by a San Francisco TV station, KTVU Channel 2 (now a Fox affiliate). The "Channel Two Version" combines footage from the Smithee TV cut and the violent scenes from the theatrical version. While the main credits maintain the Smithee credit, the end titles still have Lynch's name (watch at the end for the "Assistant To Mr. Lynch" credit and the absence of the copyright byline for "New Material"). It runs around the same length as the TV cut. It only aired once.

I believe strongly that the version released to theatres is Lynch's director's cut (even though he may or may not have wanted to have the film run longer). I also believe that Lynch himself wanted to do his own longer version in 1986 but decided against and made "Blue Velvet". In any case, it is unlikely Lynch will ever want to revisit DUNE again, not even for DVD, in light of the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries remake and its sequel to come.

Personally, Lynch made a sorry choice to turn down "Return Of The Jedi" for his own sci-fi epic, sorry in the fact that he did not have full control over the making of the film.

Thanks, fellow DUNE-ers for listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks