What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

David Letterman on DVD (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Over the past several years we've had DVD releases of talk show hosts such as Johnny Carson,Merv Griffin,Mike Douglas,Dick Cavett and maybe others I can't remember as I type this. Missing,though,is a DVD release of David Letterman's show(s). Would it have something to do with his first two shows airing on NBC,while he's,presently,hosting a show on CBS?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Trio channel used to run the old Late Nights with Letterman. There were a series of VHS tapes put out back in the 90s. think there were issues like not getting permission from the performers to release the tapes. Allan Havey wasn't happy that the cover of his episode read "Allen Havey."

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I really like Letterman.

It would be great of CBS to run old episodes on nights when it's a rerun,

instead of showing an episode from a few weeks earlier, that fans likely

just saw. Is it a network isuse? Were not the older seasons on NBC?

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I take it his earlier shows are owned by Universal and his present show is owned by Paramount. That would explain why we haven't seen,or won't see,any Letterman DVDs. Somebody must know.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I remember Letterman himself was upset when NBC sold old Late Night reruns to A&E back in the early '90s without his consent (which, I think, is the reason they were finally taken off. Probably was in his next contract negotiation).

It's probably some of these same episodes that turned up on Trio. Of course, by that time, NBC didn't have any reason to keep Dave happy since he'd already jumped ship.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Originally Posted by Stephen Wight

I take it his earlier shows are owned by Universal and his present show is owned by Paramount. That would explain why we haven't seen,or won't see,any Letterman DVDs. Somebody must know.

I believe WORLDWIDE PANTS and not CBS/Paramount owns THE LATE SHOW.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DeWilson

I believe WORLDWIDE PANTS and not CBS/Paramount owns THE LATE SHOW.

Yes, that is correct. When CBS was originally trying to lure Letterman away from NBC, one of Johnny Carson's recommendations to him was to make his ownership of the show a condition of employment (a feat which Carson accomplished for himself several years prior in a contract re-negotiation). Desperate to get him, CBS gave him complete ownership of The Late Show from day one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks