What's new

Daredevil (Netflix) - April 10, 2015 (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Sean Bryan said:
As a home theater enthusiast, you shouldn't be watching anything on an iPad, ever. ;)

Seriously though, that fight was very cool and intense. I think the thing that sets it apart from lots of other stuff is that as "heightened" as it is, is feels very real. You can see just how exhausted everyone is, including Murdock.

But there are even cooler fights (though more one on one) in later episodes. Haven't seen past 9 yet. But 9 has some really intense fight stuff.

I was concerned about watching this over Netflix streaming I've seen some low quality streaming from them in the past, and it isn't pretty on my projector. So I basically avoided it. I don't know if it is the time I have been watching these, but the video quality is great. Much better than Xfinity's HD cable, and almost as good as decent blu-ray, which was surprising to me.
The thing that sets the corridor fight apart (other than the amazing acting/stunt performances) is the fact that it is a "oner" - no cuts. No tricks to hide cuts.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As awesome as that one take fight is at the end of episode two, I couldn't help but think that he could have slipped into the room at the end of the hallway and slipped out with the boy without any of the baddies being any the wiser.

I've watched through episode 7 so far and continue to really enjoy it. Scott Glenn is the best casting yet, as Matt's mentor Stick. He's almost exactly what I imagined of the character in my head.

By contrast, Vondie Curtis-Hall is not at all what I imagined of Ben Urich in my head, but he's terrific in the role and captures a lot of the qualities I've seen in some of the crustier older reporters I've met over the years. There are a lot of shows that scorn reporters, so it's nice to see a show that respects and delves into the process of reporting a story. It's hard to get right and do well.

I've got strongly mixed feelings about Vincent D'Onofrio's performance as Wilson Fisk/Kingpin. On one hand, he's as close as you're ever going to get to the Kingpin on the page. On the other hand, while Cox, Woll and Henson breathe life into their characters that makes them feel like real three dimension people, D'Onofrio's performance leaves Fisk still feeling like a comic book villain. That being said, he's doing very good work at that level, even if I just don't quite believe the reality of it.

I didn't notice any fall off from Goddard's first two episodes to the subsequent five episodes I've watched so far. The transition to DeKnight as showrunner was incredibly seamless. If anything, the writing got a hair sharper and naturalistic and a hair less self-consciously clever.

Regardless of how the multi-series Defenders initiative pans out, I hope we get another season of "Daredevil" with the same cast and the same creative team behind the camera. I'd love to see the show's take on Elektra.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Adam Lenhardt said:
As awesome as that one take fight is at the end of episode two, I couldn't help but think that he could have slipped into the room at the end of the hallway and slipped out with the boy without any of the baddies being any the wiser.

I've watched through episode 7 so far and continue to really enjoy it. Scott Glenn is the best casting yet, as Matt's mentor Stick. He's almost exactly what I imagined of the character in my head.

By contrast, Vondie Curtis-Hall is not at all what I imagined of Ben Urich in my head, but he's terrific in the role and captures a lot of the qualities I've seen in some of the crustier older reporters I've met over the years. There are a lot of shows that scorn reporters, so it's nice to see a show that respects and delves into the process of reporting a story. It's hard to get right and do well.

I've got strongly mixed feelings about Vincent D'Onofrio's performance as Wilson Fisk/Kingpin. On one hand, he's as close as you're ever going to get to the Kingpin on the page. On the other hand, while Cox, Woll and Henson breathe life into their characters that makes them feel like real three dimension people, D'Onofrio's performance leaves Fisk still feeling like a comic book villain. That being said, he's doing very good work at that level, even if I just don't quite believe the reality of it.

I didn't notice any fall off from Goddard's first two episodes to the subsequent five episodes I've watched so far. The transition to DeKnight as showrunner was incredibly seamless. If anything, the writing got a hair sharper and naturalistic and a hair less self-consciously clever.

Regardless of how the multi-series Defenders initiative pans out, I hope we get another season of "Daredevil" with the same cast and the same creative team behind the camera. I'd love to see the show's take on Elektra.

wow, that is a comic book tv series at its best.. forget agent of shield or agent carter or even DC the flash, arrow, and gotham.

while I do enjoy gotham.. daredevil kicks that show in the ass.

there is such talk of dark knight being the best comic book movie ever.. while I might disagree with that sentiment among the fans.

I can see daredevil being considered the best comic book tv series ever.

Jacob

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Adam Lenhardt said:

I watched the entire season over the weekend. Just kept wanting more after each episode.

Since I'm more of a Spider-Man fan, I know some of Daredevil's background, but not all of it, so Stick was a nice surprise - is he essentially DD but an earlier vintage?

Vondie Curtis-Hall is obviously different than the comic book version, but I thought he filled the bill -perfectly. 'Crusty' is a perfect word to describe an artist in a dying form.

I agree about mixed feeling about Vincent D'Onofrio- I think overall he's a good choice and visually makes the character work, but the main problem I have is that he shows too much vulnerability to outsiders. To Vanessa, sure, and it made sense for his assistant/friend. But around Nobu, Ghou(?) and the others, I would have expected nothing but sternness and steel. Now, I suppose that's more the writers than D'Onofrio, but they need to change that. He can still be vulnerable in private.

Not having seen DC's Arrow, The Flash or Gothan, I don't know how it compares, but I think Daredevil is a very good piece to the MCU. I hope the other Netflix offerings are at the same level.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm still just at episode 9 (will finish by Thursday night), but my impression so far is that this is as much an origin story for Kingpin as it is for Daredevil.

I like that Fisk feels like a real person, to me.

In an interview, D'Onofrio was asked to describe Wilson Fisk in three words. I believe he said "child and monster", and I think that is an accurate summary of the interesting way the character has been portrayed.

darklight00

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Todd J Moore said:
Just watched episode 2. I have one complaint about this show and that's the fact that everything is so darkly lit--even all of the interior scenes--that it's hard to see just what's going on sometimes. Otherwise, I do enjoy it.
I was feeling the same way but I noticed that after episode 7 things were lit less darkly. I am on episode 11 now and things look fairly normal now. BTW loved the show but am a bit put off by the excessive graphic violence. I know a lot of people like the violence. I just felt it didn't have to be so graphic, but that is just me.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Finished watching last night.

Wow. This is one of the best, if not the best TV series based on a comic ever made. And it's designed like a 13 hour movie, making it perfect for bing-watching.

Even small supporting cast players like Domenick Lombardozzi (Bill Fisk) & Scott Glen (Stick) turn out excellent performances despite limited screen time.

If Netflix and Marvel properly promote it, it should be a huge hit.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Seen only the first episode. What's his motivation for crime fighting? They don't explain it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
SamT said:
Seen only the first episode. What's his motivation for crime fighting? They don't explain it.
The show will answer that for you. In episode 10, to be precise.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Casual consumption of Daredevil going great. 5 episodes in. Really enjoying the pace and structure used to explore and deepen characters.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm only three episodes in, but enjoying it a lot. Wish I had more time, but I will savor the experience. I realize no word has been said about another season, but I hope we get one.

Also, this is leading up to the Defenders? As I recall, Daredevil was never part of any team, but maybe that's changed in the last 25-30 years?

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
My wife and I just finished episode 7 last night and so far I feel this show has really hit a home run.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Sam Favate said:
Also, this is leading up to the Defenders? As I recall, Daredevil was never part of any team, but maybe that's changed in the last 25-30 years?
Yes. All four shows will converge with The Defenders. Can't comment on the comics, but that's what Marvel is doing here.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I just finished. This miniseries has been excellent. It's filled with fantastic performances by characters you really feel invested in. One of Marvel's best works to date.

image.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched episode 4 last night, the one with the Russians and the first time we see what Fisk is capable of. Really good stuff - although I do think the violence on the show is gratuitous at times. Murdock and Fisk are examples of outstanding casting. Karen Page and Foggy too.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The violence in the show, described by DeKnight as "PG-16", is brutal. But it also serves to make the violence have weight and not feel like typical fantasy violence.

Every injury Matt receives basically stays with him throughout the show and knocks him down from being in peak form for later fights.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think we really see anything you couldn't see on a 10 PM network drama. But the way the violence is shot really makes it difficult for the audience to detach from.

I finished the thirteenth episode tonight. Overall, I'm really impressed with the season as a whole. I have a few nitpicks with the wrap-up, in that I think the reversal of fortune was a little too fast and a little too neat, and I would have liked the show to be a little bit more explicit about what Karen's figured out about Matt. But those are quibbles. I hope we get a season two, and I hope the next few Netflix Marvel shows rise to the bar set by this one.

Does anyone know if characters from "Daredevil" will crossover into the other Marvel Netflix shows? I'm wondering how integrated the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of the MCU will be ahead of the "Defenders" mini-series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Adam Lenhardt said:
Does anyone know if characters from "Daredevil" will crossover into the other Marvel Netflix shows? I'm wondering how integrated the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of the MCU will be ahead of the "Defenders" mini-series.

Sure sounds like it.

Report: Agent Carter Likely For Season 2, Netflix Heroes In Avengers: Infinity War

http://bamsmackpow.com/2015/04/16/report-agent-carter-likely-for-season-2-netflix-heroes-in-avengers-infinity-war/

Daredevil and friends will be making their way to the big screen … eventually. Sounds like Matt Murdock, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Danny Rand will be helping out in Avengers: Infinity War Part II.And let’s be honest, we all assumed/hoped/dreamed that would be the case, because a final showdown with Thanos is very much an “all hands on deck” deal.
I’m not sure how the Daredevil we’ve been watching on Netflix will operate in a movie with cosmic stakes, but there’s no reason not to think Marvel has a plan that will work at this point. Fingers crossed that Johnston’s sources are on the money with both of these.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Seven episodes and one of the best handling of flashbacks yet. Really enjoyed Stick.

At times this show gives me a "The Wire,' vibe.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched "Stick" last night - I thought Scott Glenn was terrific. I'll be curious to see whether Stick's other relationships (shown at the end) factor in this season.

Also, it wasn't clear to me: What was so dangerous about that boy that Stick wanted to (did?) kill? Was he a carrier of something that would be used as a biologic weapon? That's all I can figure.

Very pleased with how good the show is, particularly Charlie Cox, whose tone of voice is perfect for Matt/Daredevil.

There has to be another season, right? With so much left to do (Elektra, the Hand, the Born Again story), how could they stop now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.