What's new

Jessica Jones (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Saying only two a year isn't really viable if the shows turn out well and are successful.

They're going to run into the same embarrassment of riches "problem" that Marvel Studios film division has to deal with. When something is successful, they want to do more. But they also want to do new stuff. When most everything is successful, it gets harder and harder to fit all of the franchises they want to do in a finite schedule. That's why starting next year they are going to 3 movies per year.

When shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones are successful, they really need to build on that and make more in a reasonable timeframe. But if each new show warrants a second season they are going to have to consider making more than two per year.

With The Punisher likely getting his own series as well this is going to have to give.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The flip side of that is that all of the Netflix Marvel series share a lot of production and post-production resources. The current setup is designed around one series in production and one series in post-production at a time. Post-production, especially for a show with a 4K pipeline like these have (higher resolution than the Marvel features!), is time-consuming.

Either they're going to have to secure more studio space in Queens and greatly expand their post-production teams, or they're going to have to keep to the two shows a year model. Given all of Netflix's other original content, I'm not sure they're ready to commit to more than two a year, either. I could see a rotating schedule of Daredevil-Jessica Jones-Luke Cage-Punisher, but one in a post-Defenders universe where the walls between the shows we're so firm. Instead of just Claire Temple weaving between the shows, Jessica could do investigator work for Nelson and Murdock, things like that. That way, even if shows only have a new season every other year, the cast isn't benched that entire time.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Don't forget Iron Fist, which is likely to air before the Punisher. It already has a showrunner. There have been other rumored characters coming to Netflix: Moon Knight, Spider-Woman, Blade, Ghost Rider. Personally, I'd like to see the Daughters of the Dragon in their own show, although I suspect they will be part of Luke Cage/Iron Fist.

Filmmaker John Ridley has a secretive Marvel project in the works too. I've seen rumors that it's Ms. Marvel, but no one really knows.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
Filmmaker John Ridley has a secretive Marvel project in the works too. I've seen rumors that it's Ms. Marvel, but no one really knows.

Definitely exciting, but that's being developed for ABC, so it presumably wouldn't impact the Netflix scheduling.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Episode 2 was also very intense. It took me until this episode to get that Trish Walker is Patsy Walker, a/k/a Hellcat.

I didn't realize until the doctor gave Simpson the red, white, and blue pills that he was THAT Frank Simpson.

I'm on Episode 10 now and was warned things meander a bit until the end. That said, highly enjoyable program. I can see why some people prefer these Netflix series over the theatrical tentpole films.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Gah, Episode 10 was so annoying. But I guess it made sense they used Robyn, the most annoying character on the show, to be the catalyst.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The first season is one of the honorees of the 75th Peabody Awards:
"This one part superhero saga, one part neo-noir program asks unpopular questions about power and consent, while constructing vivid and compelling characters. Krysten Ritter helps us to discover the strengths and vulnerability of Jessica, a hard-boiled private detective who has rejected the role of superhero but must still figure out how to overcome the evil that threatens her, her friends and her community."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm really surprised and disappointed that Jessica Jones (and Daredevil) wasn't nominated for any major Emmys.

JJ won a Peabody, for cryin' out loud! What do you have to do to get noticed by Emmy?

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2016...-who-was-charlie-cox-netflix-snubs-surprises/

I really like this:
10 REASONS KRYSTEN RITTER DESERVED AN EMMY NOD FOR "JESSICA JONES"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...served-an-emmy-nod-for-jessica-jones/view=all

It's just an honor just to be inebriated by the Academy. Thanks, #Emmys.
CnWN5nQVIAAYm0f.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/JessicaJones/status/753664707207188480?lang=en

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ There's a lot of quality shows and performances competing this year (though as good of an actor as Taraji P. Henson is, Empire looks like an awful soap opera with a bigger budget to me). I'd say Jessica Jones and Kristen Ritter's biggest problem is being on Netflix so it's not as well seen or well known by the old mummies voting on the Emmys. I think House Of Cards is enough for the academy to feel that they're 'hip' to the streaming shows that all the kids are watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks