1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Jessica Jones Season 3 (Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Favate, Jun 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

I really hope this is good. I have had a love/hate relationship with all of the Marvel shows on Netflix. It started with the excellent first season of Daredevil. Then there were ups and downs across the other shows. Many just did not have enough story to warrant a full 8 to 10 episodes. There were some seasons of shows that were tough to get through. Perhaps it was just my high expectations?
    I thought the last season of "Jessica Jones" was sub-par. Her mom as the villain just did not work for me. I can't understand how comic book shows can have weak writing. There are mountains of excellent material over the decades to pull from.
    Let's hope this show goes out on top with an excellent final season.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I'm five episodes into the new season. Some general thoughts:
    • The Big Bad has just been revealed. I like that he doesn't appear to be at the center of some major trauma in Jessica's past. He has pragmatic reasons for going after Jessica, and her reasons for pursuing him are very recent in origin.
    • Jessica has a new assistant Gillian, played by transgender actress Aneesh Sheth. I really like that being Jessica's assistant is just a job for Gillian; she clocks out at 5 PM sharp and doesn't give Jessica another thought until she clocks back in again. It also got me thinking about how rare it is to see a character on a TV show just working for a paycheck. It seems like most characters on TV see their jobs as personal callings.
    • After two seasons of self-righteously judging Jessica and Monday morning quarterbacking her decisions, Trish and Malcolm are trying to actually walk the walk this season, as a superhero and as a private investigator respectively. And both of them are discovering that it's not as easy or straightforward as they'd assumed.
    • Jessica remains a very flawed protagonist, but she's been doing both the superheroics and the investigating way longer than Trish and Malcolm. I'm glad the show understands the value of those additional years of experience, and allows her to be better in both areas.
    • With so much drama in superhero movies and TV shows being driven by the protagonists making rash decisions driven by emotion, I continue to appreciate how Jessica shows restraint even when it's really hard. When she acts on her hunches, she verifies that she's right before she takes any action she can't take back.

Cameron Yee and Sam Favate like this.
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Couldn't sleep, so I ended up finishing the season. Another strong one, but geez do the writers love to pile on Jessica:
    Making Trish the actual Big Bad of the season was a bold move, but felt organic given what had come before. She is someone so pathologically convinced of her own rightness that when she does bad she has to find reasons to justify those decisions. And over the course of the season, it just keeps compounding.

I like the boldness of it, and I like that the writers didn't flinch away from playing out actions and consequences in a believable way. The only thing I don't like is that it costs Jessica yet another person she cared about, the last person alive she still considered family.

Probably the single most heroic thing about Jessica Jones is that she has, almost in spite of herself, a very well-developed sense of right and wrong. And when faced with the choice of what is right and what is easy, she picks what is right every time. And when faced with the choice of two wrongs, she picks the wrong that is better for other people, not the wrong that is better for herself.

But the show just piles misery after misery on her. In the first season, Kilgrave waged a war of psychological terror on Jessica. In the second season, she got her mom back only to discover that her mother was a homicidal maniac. In the third season, she gets her best friend and sister back, only to discover that Trish is a homicidal maniac. There's only so much anybody can take, and Jessica's got to be getting close to that point.

It was nice to get a Luke Cage cameo in the finale. I wonder if that means that Luke Cage won't be available to Marvel until the "Jessica Jones" characters are available to Marvel.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I want to read those spoilers but I won't. I'm only one episode in, and I enjoyed it. The end was a bit of a jolt, so I'm eager to see where it goes next. I hope Hulu or someone else gives the casts of these shows another chance. They deserve it.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This season ends without any loose ends or dangling plot threads, so if this is it I'm okay with it. But the door is definitely left open for future stories.

Sean Bryan and Sam Favate like this.
  6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I'm through episode 6 and enjoying the season a lot. It's the most film noir of all the seasons, and I like that the antagonist isn't someone personally connected to Jessica.

BTW, yesterday, on Twitter, Krysten Ritter said she would play JJ again in a heartbeat, and said "never say never."

https://twitter.com/Krystenritter/status/1143261220251688960

Sean Bryan likes this.
  7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Finished episode 12 last night (one to go!) and I confess I have no idea where this is going. I woke up this morning wondering how it will get resolved. I certainly did not expect what happened in 12 to happen in 12.

It has been a great season. This is a great show, with an amazing cast and terrific writers.

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Final episode, great ending. Loved it.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  9. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen
    I finished episode 8 last night and I have to say this is my favorite season of JJ.
    I had a suspicion with what was going to happen but the way it played out still had
    me on the edge of my seat.

Something else about this season is that I love the amount of depth they've written
    in Jerry and Malcolm. It just feels so very well written. I can't wait to finish off the last
    few episodes.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  10. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I thought this third and “final” season was very, very good. Not sure if I’d put it above Season 1, but it’s close. Kilgrave probably puts 1 on top. But either way, I thought it was very well done. I was quite disappointed in season 2, so I’m glad this final season played out the way it did.

I’d like to see more stories with these characters if Marvel is inclined to bring JJ back in some capacity. But if it ends here it was quite satisfying.