What's new

D-VHS Lower the price already!!! (1 Viewer)

Brian-W

Screenwriter
The hostility problem with D-VHS lies right with this forum and it's participants. And it's more preaching than hostility.
Anytime *anyone* starts a thread with D-VHS in it (regardless of the content), 95% of the thread is filled up with the "I hate tape" posts.
To those that hate tape, and hate D-VHS, do us a favor and just stop posting in D-VHS related threads. You've beat it into those who enjoy D-VHS a million times you don't like tape and you hope it dies. Fine. Fair enough. To each his own.
Just stop trying to preach to those that want to enjoy the format and want to discuss it. This is Home Theater SOFTWARE and not Home Theater DVD forum.
I'm not trying to curb free speach, and yes, people should be able to debate any topic. But this is rediculous. Why does every damn D-VHS thread have to veer off course in less than 5 responses to the initial thread topic with the negative postings.
D-VHS in this forum has become a taboo topic like politics or religion. It's always a damn fight.
So my request to moderators is start moderating these topics or ban D-VHS discussion indefinitely right on up there with religion and politics.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
One last thing....the comparision to the "theatrical experience" (D-VHS not replicating), just remember: Film is linear just like tape, wears out each time it runs through the projector, and has ZERO chapter stops!

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Brian, thank you for the intelligent post. I also wish that we could discuss D-VHS in this forum without the naysayers rehashing all of the negative aspects of the format. We who buy the decks know what we're getting into. Why can't the detractors go watch a DVD and simply let us be?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I hate to chime in as another tape hater but honestly, why did they even bother. An optical HD DVD format exists NOW. The technology is already there. So why are studios supporting a niche format that will be gone in a few years. Why didn't they just support any form of optical HD and get it done with?

I own an HD DLP projector but I won't buy into D-VHS because I know the optical replacement is right around the corner. I can't see investing in a format that will be obsolete in a few years. Plus I/we have become spoiled with DVD and the features, like no rewinding, instant scene access, extras etc. The whole argument about "movies are linear" and "no chapter stops" is pointless because we have the technology to do so much more. I agree that this is one step forward and two steps back. And I'm sure the format looks incredible, but I won't buy it.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Maybe some of us are just bitter that the industry is going in a direction that 99 out of 100 hometheater enthusiasts don't like. I think that is a valid position, because it is us who finance the introduction of new HT technologies, so then why shovel something at us that we have no interest in?

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Maybe some of us are just bitter that the industry is going in a direction that 99 out of 100 hometheater enthusiasts don't like.
The industry is not "going in the direction of DVHS". It's a niche product, intended for a very small group of consumers. Was the industry going in the direction of laser disc because it existed at the same time as VHS? Obviously not.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
We are trying to moderate this discussion without also being accused of "censoring" one view or the other.

This frustration with how such threads stray off track is understandable, though.

I think the naysayers have made their point, as have the proponents.

Now, what was the original post about? It stated the software is too expensive.

Is it? Compared with DVD, it is. Compared with LaserDisc in its heyday, it is not. Seems pretty clear. The thread should maybe have petered out once that was established.

Instead, it assumed a life of its own and became yet another "battlefield" for those who want to see the new format die a swift death and those who have bought into it and been dazzled by the high-def images.

Presently, is there much reason to continue this thread? I don't see a big reason, other than not wanting to be accused of stifling people's views after shutting the thread down.

Let's see if this thing can fade on its own. Meanwhile, for the sake of demonstrating what HTF is so good at, let's tone down the needless emotionalism. Please.

Thanks.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Just one last thing Jack....

I totally (and I think I pointed it out) the concern over censorship etc. and how this is a sensitive issue. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But every topic on D-VHS instantly degenerates into a tape hating topic. Personally, I'd suggest those that hate D-VHS set up a separate topic to discuss this.

Personally, I hope D-VHS never catches on as a mass-market item. I hope it continues to 'fly under the radar' of the MPAA, etc. so that I can continue to build a library of HD content. And I also hope that pre-recorded software continues to roll out at reasonable prices.

And for my contribution to the original topic, this is a first generation D-VHS w/D-Theater, so naturally they're going to charge more. There has already been talk of lower priced units coming from JVC this fall sub-$1000 (features TBD).

While I can afford the D-VHS deck, I too agree it is pricey, and doesn't have all the features a top end deck should (like RGB+HV out, coaxial SP/DIF out).

Give it time. If D-Theater isn't important to you, the Mitsubishi deck is sub-$800, so the price is already dropped in a way.

-brian

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I made a mistake, Bryant! And I stand corrected.

It might also be pointed out that one of this thread's most vocal supporters of D-Theater stated that he would migrate to an HD optical format in a New York minute if such were available (that would be Brian).

So, we all want the same thing ultimately. It's just that those who do not want to wait for a high-def disc format have an interim solution.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
"... which are of course to be paid by the unwilling consumer."
There is no such consumer, by definition. If the consumer buys it, they do so by thier own free will.

Many longtime high-end consumers paid high prices for laser disc. It may have been frustrating at times, but we still boguht them. We weren't unwilling consumers, just consumers who wanted the best quality and featues available on the market, at any price.

D-VHS buyers are the same type of consumer.

Just because you can't, or aren't willing to afford it, dosen't mean the pricing scheme is flawed. (Have you ever heard of re-couping development cost?)

Personally, I have no use for D-VHS at this time, but once I buy an HD Television, I probably will.

Of course it would be the first tape foramt I would purchase... I've never bothered with VHS, I started buying optical discs in 1982.

Daniel L

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Ask any hometheatre hobbyist on the bleeding edge would he prefer disc or tape HD if given the choice. Which is he going to pick?
I think you are missing the point. As Jack said, I don't think there is a single proponent of DVHS D-Theater that has said that he or she would not prefer an optical based HD format (as long as it gives the same quality as D-Theater). The point is, the HD tape format is here now, and HD-DVD is probably a good five years away.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Id like to make one clarification (sort of).

I think that the D-VHS product is not really for a niche market (but it is too - due to pricing) but rather for a TEST MARKET. The studios are testing the format to see if it is really copyright protected / undefeatable. If the hardware / software coding is defeated (at least easily), HD DVD will be a LONG TIME FROM NOW. If the encoding is sound, then the time for HD-DVD will be much closer. Studio execs are scared (and rightly so) about releasing any HD product.

Just my thoughts.

Gregg

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Why don't we focus on the HD aspect and just for (no) arguments sake forget about the underlying medium for a while? Some of us loathe the tape, some love it (or don't mind too much). Fine.

But how is the picture? Is it an assets to your HT? Would those who don't mind using tape think that optical-medium lovers may be pleased to have, say, a HD-DVD in their HTs when the time comes?
Or is it just a so-so improvement that shouldn't cost too much?

Cees

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
So then why did you?
Because this is a discussion last I checked and I put my view right in the beginning so if you didn't want to read it then don't. But I was bringing in points that I didn't see other people bring up so hence I continued the discussion. Sorry that my opinion isn't the same as yours. sheesh.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Because this is a discussion last I checked and I put my view right in the beginning so if you didn't want to read it then don't. But I was bringing in points that I didn't see other people bring up so hence I continued the discussion. Sorry that my opinion isn't the same as yours. sheesh.
My problem isn't with you expressing your differing opinion. My problem is with you expressing your differing opinion in a topic that has nothing to do with D-VHS being a medium that you don't like. As others have said before, we who enjoy discussing the virtues of D-VHS and our excitement about it are tired of every topic turning into a forum for the tape haters to come in and voice their displeasure with the format.

As for the original point of the topic, I'm not totally uncomfortable with the price of D-VHS software. Anyone who amassed a sizeable LD collection shouldn't experience stickershock when they look at D-VHS titles. I think we've just become spoiled by the relatively reasonable price of DVD, which makes a $34.99 retail price for a D-Theater tape seem a bit high. Since it's not likely I'll be purchasing 10 or 15 D-VHS titles a month like I do with DVD, I don't mind the slightly higher price.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I just watched something that makes for a powerful argument in favor of D-VHS: An HD transfer of an episode of Mission Impossible TV series that was originally shot on 35 mm film. HDNet is experimenting with this sort of thing. Guys, the quality needs to be seen to be believed. On a home theater sized screen, you'd be hard pressed to say it wasn't 35 mm film. There is NO WAY that current DVD can match this quality. And DVHS is currently the best way to capture that kind of quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks