What's new

Vol 2, No. 1 Jan/Feb (1 Viewer)

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I just received this magazine yesterday, and wanted to give you all a :emoji_thumbsup: A few of comments:
1. Can you drop the D-VHS articles already? The title of the mag is DVD Etc. Not DVD v. D-VHS Etc. I think you've covered all the bases on this discussion so far, and think it's time to stop. Save the room for more interesting articles, please!
2. Thanks for having the courage to review the Apex 32" flatscreen. No, it's not the best TV in the world but Apex (and other Chinese brands) are becoming very prominant in US retail stores and carry much lower price tags than their competitors. Of course this means consumers are buying and will continue to buy them. Not many magazines pay attention to the low end, and while it's great to see what is out there on the high end, I wonder how many readers are actually on the lower end of the scale?
3. Looking forward to the article on region free players in the next issue.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ronn: I believe the D-Theater story and the reprints from HTF posts are the fist such articles run in DVD Etc.. The magazine hasn't done a major story on D-Theater prior to this.

terry malibu

Agent
Hi Ronn,

No problem on the D-VHS thing, I assure you that it will not be a steady editorial thing, but it did need covering and our thanks to the HTF members who participated.
As for features, we always enjoy getting new ideas from readers so feel free to contact us with any ideas you may have.
Happy New Year!
Terry Carroll

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup: Ron...a fellow Oregonian! Is the Sun shining up your way? Not here in Eugene--that's for certain! As Jack mentioned this is the first time that we covered the topic of D-VHS and most likely the last. After receiving some flack from readers whom said we didn't support our negative comments about the format...we went all out. Case closed so to speak. ;) Now we're on to bigger and brighter things and having fun. This will include approaching the entry level market for reviews which as you noticed have been greatly ignored. CES next week...plenty to see...thanks for the note.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I think we did have about 30 mins of sun in Portland yesterday, right between the smaller downpour and the larger one! One thing that I should have mentioned is that I thought it was a great idea to print members' posts on D-VHS. It seems like a good way to handle 'controversial' HT topics. So many HT issues are perception oriented (and even dependant on the quality of other components used) that sometimes I'd rather read a lot of varied thoughts on something than just the opinion of one writer.

If it was possible to do, I think a good feature would be to pick 5 subscribers and send them the same product to try out for a week or two with a list of 3 films to watch. Document what the rest of their setup is and have them review or discuss the product and their experiences with it as well as compare it to the performance of the component it replaced. I think it would be a more 'real world' review in many ways, since the readers would be able to see how the product interacts with various setups and would give readers a more accurate picture of how the product may fit in (or not) to their own HT. Just an idea.

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
:) Ron, you make an excellent point about the gear. If you remember we used to pull people off the street back at Home Theater mag and conduct forum reviews--against their will at times. :) We have talked about sending samples out to several writers at once...the major problem being that we can hardly seem to get one review sample at times, let alone 3 or 5. Look for something along these lines soon. I saw the Sun last week...but I was in Las Vegas...so I know it's up there...just not here...rumor has it we may see it next week...I'm a little nervous about the whole thing...ya' know the Sun...it is a big fiery ball and all that..have you see what it is doing to California? I think we're safe here in Oregon...until Summer that is. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks