D-VHS Lower the price already!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryant Trew, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

Think about it folks. It's a VCR with a high bandwidth DA converter, but it's still a VCR. The technology can be bought for $50 these days, so why is D-VHS going for a $1,500 list price? And the library is crap right now.
    Lower the price for this old technology dammit!
    [​IMG]

2. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

What is the point? I mean, DVD pushes what a video presentation can be (chapter select, extras, lots of sound/commentary options). How do you sell to people the idea of playing tapes again? They tried this with cassette tapes after CDs came out, right? Cooler and better cassette tapes but after the ease of use with CDs, why go backwards? I want better digital technology along the lines of DVD, not old school tech with a shiny face on it.

IMHO, of course.

Phil

3. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I personally think that the difference between regular and HD VHS is more than just that. Better components such as precision rollers, pins, heads, head-drum, licensing to Dolby, they all add up in the end.

Although I don't see the justification of selling the unit for US$1500, I also don't see the manufacturing cost of these players to be lower than US$300 given the current technology and limited manufacturing number.

4. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Economies of scale have to yet to kick in for D-VHS.

Look at the rapid fall in price of DVD players. There's quite a difference in price from today and two years ago.

The more D-VHS units are produced the lower the price will go. The trick is to create the demand for the player. Something which most of us don't see happening.

5. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

There won't be demand for it untill there are more HDTV's out there. That means there has to be cheaper HDTVs first.

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I still can't see D-VHS as being anything other than still-born. Okay, it's HD. There is nothing else that it provides that DVD & VHS cannot provide. Even DVD recorders have started to fill a gap that has existed, although the concept of recording an analog TV show on a digital medium boggles the mind a bit, but be that as it may...
    I personally think that D-VHS is too little too late, even if it drops the price.
    I can't imagine that that its only single positive (HD quality) will offset all of its negatives. The only people who will want D-VHS are HDTV owners. At least DVD get be used on all TVs. So right there D-VHS has a majoruphill battle. This doesn't include the thousands of DVDs that are already released, or the improvement in DVD video over VHS, or the fact that DVD can play on ALL TVs and it not dedicated solely at HDTV owners.
    D-VHS is just a way to fleece those who must be on the bleeding edge. It's not like it's the only industry that does that (the computer industy does it all of the time), but I still don't think that it's going to be enough to keep it afloat until HD-DVD. Just my two cents.
    [​IMG]

7. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

The format that was too little, too late was DVD, as laserdisc already did what DVD does and HD sets were already on the way.

Menus that must be navigated and FBI warnings that cannot be skipped over are not a product feature.

HD is the future, and even if, for the moment,that means watching tape, it's still an improvement over DVD, which is (yawn) yet another format devoted to the NTSC video standard developed in the 1930s.

We'd have HD laserdiscs now if DVD hadn't been introduced instead, and we'll finally have HD-DVD when the public gets tired of its fascination with the current format. That may take a while. Laserdisc has been around since 1978, but the public has just now discovered that there's something better than VHS.

Stay tuned.

Charlie

8. John_Berger

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I guess it would be asking too much if these $1500 D-VHS machines included linear (non-Hi-Fi) stereo capability, so I can play all my pre-1984 tapes in stereo?

10. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Charlie sez...

11. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

I think there are well enough economies in DVHS to get it down to at least $350.00. Let's be realistic - they haven't invented anything. They've just combined different technologies which can already be bought cheaply. Even $400 would be tolerable, but $1,500 is just insane.

12. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

The deck doesn't cost $1500. It can be bought for $1100 at several retailers.

13. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

14. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

How much are HDTV sets going for? If that doesn't come down, this is niche-only. When you can get a DVD player at 10% of the cost of a tape-deck with probably a very limited catalogue...I just can't see it happening. Sorry rich people, looks like you will have to suffer through DVD for a few more years.

Phil

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Scene: Man, in his home, gazes upon DVD library, pondering evening's cinematic entertainment.

CUT TO: Front door, being pounded from its hinges. Door breaks down. Eight large, uniformed government agents burst into living room. Owner of home clutches chest, face wincing in pain.

CUT TO: Lead agent.

Agent: Freeze! D-VHS D-Theater Tactical Squad! You are ordered to surrender your DVD library immediately. You are to report to your nearest JVC America dealer and turn in your DVD player or players immediately.

You will be given a twenty-dollar credit toward the purchase of a JVC D-VHS D-Theater tape deck.

Sorry, but we have to do this.

CUT TO: Homeowner, starting to keel over.

Homeowner: But ... special fea--

--Eyes bulge, gasps, says--

Homeowner: Easter eg--

--Falls to floor, writhes.--

PAN TO: Lead agent, turning around to face his squad.

Lead agent: We do not take pleasure in this, men. But, sometimes, we must weed out the old in the name of 1080i progress. At all costs!

We cannot delay the transition to the ATSC standards and high-definition television. And DVD is one of the stumbling blocks to HDTV!

Chin up, men. We will round up every last DVD in every last home in this country before the year is over!

Bag those hideous discs now, and let's head over to the Public Digital Incinerator!

REVERSE PAN: Agents open trash bags and proceed to scoop up all DVDs.

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

[​IMG]

17. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

Well considering a good progressive scan DVD player cost over a grand still. I think the cost is cheap for a new technology. Even though this isnt new technology..Ive had my Dvhs players for over a year(panasonic HD1000) I cant say a negative thing about them or the 200+ HD movies I have on TAPE. Plus all the HD sporting events Ive taped and now Discovery channel while I can tape it. Someone mentioned DVD recorders...just remember no digital video or sound with DVD recorders, just analog. With DVHS you can record the bit stream...DD5.1!!!!

Just a note before I get jumped...I have the panasonic e20 dvd recorder and love it but it still doesnt compare to what my hd1000's can do.

18. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

That's simply not true. The rp91 is a great progressive scan player that has been far under $1000 for a long time now.

19. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

Ok.. until Panasonic released the RP91 good progressive scan DVD players have been around $1000. The RP91 is still listed over $600.00 from most credible sites. The big thing for me with DVHS is being able to record. With current DVD recorders we cant even record DD5.1 off broadcast tv. With DVHS I can record the digital bit stream and IF I want I can then transfer the file to my pc via firewire and play the file off my harddrive. I have nothing against DVD its a great medium but I dont understand all the negativity against DVHS when it offers so much and its not all that expensive.

20. John_Berger