What's new

Current JBL Speakers - Not What They Used To Be (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yeah, Fraula, I've seen the config of of some of the Century L100 in the vertical placement in the cabinet and just don't know if there is any difference elsewhere. I do believe that the L series, as well as the 43xx series all were "Alnico" magnet types. My old Ls are in the non-vertical alignment and are tagged simply L100. Don't remember what years JBL actually tagged them with "century" but I believe the crossovers and drivers are the same throughout. Seems I read somewhere that the 43xx series diffeerence was in the crossover.....

I do hope you can obtain some of these wonderful speakers as they are a unique treasure. I was lucky enough to find new foam for the grills that was just like the original!

Good luck!

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I just missed (by a matter of minutes) picking up a pair of JBL L100's for $30. They were supposedly in great shape. The owner had no idea what he had. So close...

I must say that I have a pr. of S38II's and they are great speakers in their own right. I believe these may end up being considered a classic as well.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I must say that I have a pr. of S38II's and they are great speakers in their own right. I believe these may end up being considered a classic as well.
Amen.

In 20+ years of playing with this stuff, I haven't heard a sub-$1000 pair of speakers that sounded any better to my (jaded) ears. These "bookshelf" speakers are extraordinary.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Angelo, I now have a pair of S38IIs also, and I certianly can't complain about them, but if someone were to offer to trade me a pair of NHT SB3s for them, they would have to go from here in a heartbeat!

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I grew up with the L100s. I also bought a pair of L112s. I absolutely loved those speakers...until the S38s came out. The L100s and L112s are now packed away in my garage. I'm using four S38s, an S-Center and a PB12 for the sub and I couldn't be happier. I've never heard better imaging, clarity and accuracy. The S38s reveal every single detail in recordings. I can clearly hear musicans turning pages, conductors making noise and any kind of problem in the recording is clearly revealed. Some people may not like that but I love it. If it's on the recording, I want to hear it and these speakers deliver. They are truly monitors.

My only regret is that I didn't get an extra set of S38s and S-Center speaker to have as a backup just in case of a problem but unfortunately JBL discontinued the studio series line. I'm waiting for the next generation of monitors that JBL is working on. I can't wait to compare those with the S38s.

I made the mistake of playing my system for the neighbors. Now they always are asking to come over to watch dvds. We recently had a screening of "The Day After Tomorrow" and the JBLs performed phenomenally. The DTS track sounded better than when I saw it in the theater.

Jeff

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Mark, those NHT's must be something special. I'd love to hear 'em.

Jeff, I agree. The S38's floor me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks