What's new

Crystal Ball time once again! (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Old News,Sadly. You'd think a show like "Hec Ramsey" would have been transferred by now and aired on COZI. Mystery Movie Cycle and a Western of Sorts. I'm actually surprised that more older stuff hasn't turned up on COZI, which is owned by Universal/NBC-Comcast.

You'd think so, yes, but... look back at what Universal did (or, more to the point, didn't do) with their initially-promising cable networks Chiller and Sleuth (later renamed "Cloo"), starting with their debuts in the mid-2000s. Sleuth/Cloo, in particular. Rather than use it as a platform to weave-in some prime, Universal-owned material from the 1950s-1970s that wouldn't otherwise be seen, in among the heavily-played old reliables they owned and/or licensed from other studios, they instead opted just to dump the usual reruns of Magnum PI, Miami Vice, The A-Team, The Equalizer and Knight Rider, along with more recent crime series like Law & Order, Homicide: Life in the Street and Monk. It would've been the perfect opportunity to dust-off and transfer to digital the bulk of 1950s Dragnet, M-Squad, Hec Ramsey, T.H.E. Cat, etc, for late-night and weekend play, along side the more famous/popular material, along the lines of how they programmed Sci-Fi Channel in its earliest days. Instead, they barely even played the color Dragnet episodes, and I don't think they even ran Columbo on the channel, nor MacMillan & Wife, Switch, It Takes a Thief, McCloud, and the list goes on and on.

I recall their website (back when it was "Sleuth") had a comments section, with fans listing no-brainer Universal-owned crime/mystery series (like those I've listed above) they wanted to see on the channel (not just 1950s rarities requiring restoration), but they were talking to a brick wall --and this was a year or two before the Universal vault fire and the big economic slowdown of 2007-08. Chiller was a little better in its earliest days (at least they ran The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and Darkroom), but they never aired (Boris Karloff's) Thriller at any point in their existence (and this was a Universal-owned horror-themed channel!), even though they had the series on tape from the Sci-Fi Channel days, and it (thankfully) got its subsequent DVD release. Cloo shut down completely, as a network, a couple of months ago (long after "channel drift" had taken it away from its original crime/mystery theme), and Chiller has recently been dropped from both Dish Network and Charter, and thus will most likely share Cloo's fate, sooner rather than later.

There's a lesson in there, somewhere.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
If the new release is a variety show (like Red Skelton in color), and seeing as Star Vista/Time Life actually has the resources and inclination to buy music clearances,...how about the Danny Kaye Show (I hope the 3 MVD Kaye Family releases sold well enough)...or if I'm allowed to dream, Hollywood Palace...I wouldn't care to have Laugh In...However, more Smothers Brothers or the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour would astound and delight me...

If it's a sitcom (like Wonder Years), how about a complete series Region 1 Malcolm in the Middle...(?)

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Mel and Susan Together would be great...how about some love for Pink Lady and Jeff, a show that put Jeff Altman into therapy for most of the '80s, ha, ha...

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I know M-M-M-M-E-E-L-L, but who is Susan Anton? I pride myself on knowing music, but who the heck is she?

1970s actress and singer, known at the time for TV commercials for Muriel cigars and Serta mattresses, who got a major push in the late 1970s (probably an attempt to duplicate Farrah Fawcett's success), getting this oddball short-lived variety series, the starring role in the 'Stop Susan Willams!' segment of Cliffhangers!, another variety show, Presenting Susan Anton, and the feature film Goldengirl (1979). All this and more, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Anton

--We now return to the Crystal Ball Time thread, already in progress...

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I knew very well who she was. Who the hell was Mel and how many people would know him by his first name?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I knew very well who she was. Who the hell was Mel and how many people would know him by his first name?
A lot of people. Perhaps you should come down off your high horse for a change and quit being a snob to people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks