What's new

Crystal Ball time once again! (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
If it's OUR MISS BROOKS, I must say a year ago I'd have said, "Oh, boy!" and now I say, "Oh."

I've been watching it on MeTV, and it proves (not for the first time) that what I thought was so funny as a kid can seem really stupid as an old man.

But if it's narrowed down to "Our Miss Brooks," "Trackdown" and "The Californians," I'll bet it's "Brooks."
I catch the "Our Miss Brooks" radio shows on SiriusXM Radio Classics. Would love the TV shows.

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
Perhaps Jack P.,Jason or another fan can answer this...was Lee Grant on Peyton Place for just the two seasons, 1964 to 1966? If so, would the Stella Chernak story arc be completed on the upcoming second season (1965-66) release?...

Lee Grant debuts in Episode 104 and departs in Episode 199. If the next two releases collectively cover, as with the last two, 64 more episodes, her arc would be far from complete.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
Perhaps Jack P.,Jason or another fan can answer this...was Lee Grant on Peyton Place for just the two seasons, 1964 to 1966? If so, would the Stella Chernak story arc be completed on the upcoming second season (1965-66) release?...for which this accomplished and classy actress won her first Emmy Award in 1966...IMDB lists 70 Peyton Place episode credits for Lee Grant, ending with S2 EP85...it's a hard show to keep track of, as it aired up to 3 nights a week...114 in it's first season, running right through the summer months as well...from Sept. 1964 to the end of August 1965 with no hiatus of course...I'm not a Soaps fan, but might be interested in the early seasons...
Grant appeared intermittently (credited a total of 68 times) between episodes 104 and 199 (August 1965 through March 1966). So if Shout is doing two more sets of about 32 episodes each, that wouldn't get near the end of her storyline.

Once Peyton Place started hiring name guest stars like Grant or Susan Oliver or Gena Rowlands, they tended to book them for 50 or 60 episode blocks, which meant that those storylines tended to get wrapped up pretty hastily as they got close to losing the actor. I guess it's technically accurate to say that Peyton Place had seasons in the sense that every TV season had a formal start date sometime in September, I've never found any evidence that seasonal divisions meant anything to either the studio or the network (i.e., they didn't promote specific episodes as season premieres or season finales, or try to conclude or begin storylines on that timeline). There are occasional points where they wrap up several storylines at once, or even do a time jump of a few weeks, but those don't occur often enough to be useful markers for splitting up the show into DVD sets of this size. One of the writers told me that storylines would end whenever Paul Monash got tired of them, and apart from accommodating cast departures (planned or unplanned), I suspect that was true.

Assuming another pair of DVD releases goes up to around episode 128 - about a month into the second "season" - I'm looking at my notes and I don't see an obvious narrative stopping point anywhere in that vicinity.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I catch the "Our Miss Brooks" radio shows on SiriusXM Radio Classics. Would love the TV shows.

For some reason, the radio shows aren't dumb like the TV shows. For the TV version, you have to turn your brain off before watching.

Also, on the radio, you can picture other students walking around in the halls. On the cheap TV show, it's surrealistic when all you ever see (with very rare exceptions) are three students (Walter Denton, Harriet Conklin, and sometimes "Stretch" Snodgrass).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, the radio shows aren't dumb like the TV shows. For the TV version, you have to turn your brain off before watching.

Also, on the radio, you can picture other students walking around in the halls. On the cheap TV show, it's surrealistic when all you ever see (with very rare exceptions) are three students (Walter Denton, Harriet Conklin, and sometimes "Stretch" Snodgrass).

Reminds me about Camp Runamuck, a show about a kids camp where you never saw the kids. Wonder where they got that bright idea from.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Actually, there's another show coming which I forgot to mention. I see a show, similar in format to a classic series, much admired on this forum. Independently owned.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
That's what I thought, Movin' On, sort of a seventies Route 66, costarring Frank Converse, now suddenly hot with the upcoming Coronet Blue release.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
That's what I thought, Movin' On, sort of a seventies Route 66, costarring Frank Converse, now suddenly hot with the upcoming Coronet Blue release.
It's available on Hulu, though less than pristine masters are shown. It seems like a pretty good show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks