What's new

crossover questions (1 Viewer)

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator
As I lay awke last night not able to sleep I realized that my sub (PSB SubsonicIII) has stereolow level ins and outs with a 80Hz crossover. So I was wondering if there would be any advantage to setting my mains to large and no subwoofer, then hooking the subwoofer up to the pre-amp outs on the mains and then running a set of interconnects back to my reciever into the power-amp ins effectively high passing the mains at 80Hz instead of the 90Hz that my yamaha a-1 sets when I set the speakers to small. So the question is to use the Yamaha A-1 crossover or the one in the PSB?

Thanks for any opinions!

Brad

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
In most cases the crossover in receivers or pre/pros will provide more satisfactory results than using the subs crossover.

But then there are circumstance where this may not be the case.

Give it a try and see what you think. (and get out that SPL meter and test disks to verify what you are hearing).

Let us know your results.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There’s more to crossover life than frequency. I believe the A1 has 24dB/octave slopes; I’d much prefer that to an 80Hz crossover with 12 or 18dB/octave slopes.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think all the added complication and components in the signal path just to get an extra 10Hz, outweighs the small benefit of doing this. It will gain you some midrange response from your mains, but will not help dramatically with the sub, IMO. I agree that the A1s x-over is probably better than the one in the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks