Crossover question

Pupp

Agent
Real Name
James D.
When setting the crossover on a sub, are you setting the upperbound limit, or lower bound?

That is, if you set the crossover to say, 75, the sub-woofer won't play frequencies above that? Or do subs come with both upper bound and lower bound knobs?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a low pass filter, which means it rolls off frequencies above that setting.

Pupp

Agent
Real Name
James D.
Thanks. I orderd a used Paradigm Ultracube 10.

It's a second sub for my Klipsch BAR 48.

I want to use the Klipsch subwoofer for the mid tones.

What should I set the crossover for the Ultracube, so that it's main function is the lowest frequencies?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The sub that came with the soundbar is probably more like a bass module than a real sub. As a shot in the dark, try 60-80Hz and just see how it sounds.

Pupp

Agent
Real Name
James D.
I was thinking about starting at 75 and tweaking from there.

The sub-woofer that came with the soundbar has some good punch, but only with stuff like explosions and sounds made to really force the sub-woofer to rumble.

The Ultacube 10 will make stuff like background engine noises in a spaceship purr like it should.

I was watching Star Wars: A Phantom Menace, and I was nostalgic that the Ultracube would make the engine in Queen Amadala's ship stand out as a low rumble.

I wait patiently for the UltraCube to arrive at my doorstep.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Like John said, the sub included with the soundbar is nothing more than a bass module, helping to make up for the soundbar's ability to reproduce lower frequencies. I suspect the sub pre-out on the soundbar will do the same thing, regardless of what subwoofer you connect. It was not designed to output specific LFE information.

Pupp

Agent
Real Name
James D.
LFE?

I'm cobbling a home theater again. I'll just get an AV reciever next. I'll have to settle for something under $500 though. My soundbar won't have any issues connecting.

I might get an Anthem A reciever someday, but it's a luxery that can wait.

Last edited:

Pupp

Agent
Real Name
James D.
I got the ultracube 10 finally.

I ended up just fine tuning it by just listening to it. I played several movie scenes from these movies...

Aquaman (starting at the King's tridant scene)
Star Wars The Phantom Menace (Pod Race)
Star Wars The Last Jedi (Rey scavanging metal)
John Wick (Club Scene)
2001 A Space Odyssey (opening scene)
Guardians of the Galaxy (various)
Downton Abbey (The ballroom event near the end of the movie.

You can turn the volume max on Downton Abby, and not get a quiver or rumble from the sub. Then watch Aquaman and shake the house. Yet it all sounds very natural.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The industry recommended crossover is 80hz. Anything higher and you're going to get the subwoofer going off every time someone opens their mouths.

Pupp

Agent
Real Name
James D.
The industry recommended crossover is 80hz. Anything higher and you're going to get the subwoofer going off every time someone opens their mouths.
I don't have equipment to determine the exact anything on subwoofer. The only knob that had any numbers at all was the cutoff: 40 hz and 150 hz. defining the mininum and maximum frequencies. :)

Luckily I spent my youth in chorus and choirs and have a well trained ear.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I don't have equipment to determine the exact anything on subwoofer. The only knob that had any numbers at all was the cutoff: 40 hz and 150 hz. defining the mininum and maximum frequencies. :)
Try putting it somewhere just left of the middle then if its a range of 110.

Pupp

Agent
Real Name
James D.
I've already adjusted the sub-woofer to perfection. Stop beating a dead horse.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xero Tolerance