What's new

Got Subwoofer Hooked Up...Finally (1 Viewer)

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
After years, I finally got my subwoofer hooked back up. Unfortunately, all my crossover knowledge has completely left me. Currently, my center, fronts, and surrounds are set to 80hz, which I've heard is the standard. Fine. My question is...what should I set the subwoofer (it's a passive one, if that makes a difference) to ? Most places I've been reading say that you should put it at 10hz or so more than the speakers' crossover setting. Is this true ?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Something doesn't add up. How are you connecting the sub to the receiver?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, the subwoofer and speakers should be crossed over at the same frequency. I can't even imagine anyone suggesting otherwise.

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
BTW, the subwoofer and speakers should be crossed over at the same frequency. I can't even imagine anyone suggesting otherwise.
I thought that sounded a bit odd to me, too. I did some more reading and see that most places were saying "Your best bet is to set the subwoofer crossover frequency to match the rating of the speakers, then turn the frequency higher if you hear a "hole" between the subwoofer and the speakers—for example, if Vin Diesel’s voice sounds thin and wimpy, or if the crashes and explosions in action movies don’t have the impact that they probably should."

guess I was reading it wrong.

So...if I have my speakers set to 80hz, I should have the sub at 80hz, too ?

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
Something doesn't add up. How are you connecting the sub to the receiver?
I have a little amp that seems to work for me. I plug the two wires from the sub into it and connect the amp to the subwoofer pre out on my receiver. It doesn't seem as punchy as when I had it connected straight to the receiver, but it does the job. In fact, it sounds a bit better than before. Not as deathingly boomy like before.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought that sounded a bit odd to me, too. I did some more reading and see that most places were saying "Your best bet is to set the subwoofer crossover frequency to match the rating of the speakers, then turn the frequency higher if you hear a "hole" between the subwoofer and the speakers—for example, if Vin Diesel’s voice sounds thin and wimpy, or if the crashes and explosions in action movies don’t have the impact that they probably should."

guess I was reading it wrong.

So...if I have my speakers set to 80hz, I should have the sub at 80hz, too ?
That is common advice, and I think it is completely wrong. My suggestion is to start with the crossover at double the -3dB spec of the main speakers, and adjust it from there.

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
That is common advice, and I think it is completely wrong. My suggestion is to start with the crossover at double the -3dB spec of the main speakers, and adjust it from there.
"double the -3dB spec of the main speakers, and adjust it from there."
What does that mean exactly ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks