What's new

Criterion's New Streaming Service (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
They're offering a 14-day free trial. FYI.

I'm going to wait to burn up my free trial until it comes to Apple TV or Roku so I can give it a go on my TV. If I like the service I can see it as being worth the $99/yr option. Heck, I used to spend that for just 5 titles during a Criterion sale!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
looked at the site, it neat, not really into streaming even though i already have an amazon prime ( love man in the high castle) and a netflix account (Marvel Defenders event).

but going through the choices that they had i did see some classic hollywood , i wonder if this could be part of the WB / Criterion deal moving forward of possible releases, i could get behind a Criterion release of Gaslight or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde :D

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
So far I would say that it is not living up to its expectations. Here are just a handful of films that I was hoping to watch but they are not available: The Last Emperor, koyaanisqatsi, All That Jazz, My Dinner with Andre, Brazil, 49th Parallel, Bad Timing, anything by Terence Malick, Berlin Alexanderplatz, and Shoa. I'm sure all of this is tied to rights issues, but it appears to be not much better than what was offered on Hulu.

Also, given Criterion's penchant for offering as much information on a film's stats (transfer sources, etc.) it's frustrating that they don't even list if a film is presented in HD or not. And no AppleTV support until December while the app on Amazon Fire is slow and keeps logging me out saying I don't have an account. Very frustrating experience so far.

I'm sure it will get worked out over time but I'm going to hold off for a bit before I plunk down $$ for one more streaming service.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
The only non-anamorphic film I've sampled so far has been the Soviet production of WAR AND PEACE. I was disappointed too, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as it's a brand new service (and I'd rather have access to the movie in non-anamorphic form than not at all). But here's a technical question: I just purchased and plugged in an Amazon Fire Stick so I could enjoy FilmStruck on my HDTV... but so far every movie I've sampled has about 30 seconds of amazingly bad signal/artifacting before it "settles" down and gives me a nice HD image. Is this a problem with FilmStruck, Amazon Fire Stick, or my wifi? (my wifi signal is full strength). Note: HULU on my "smart" Sony Player never had this issue... but Netflix did (sporadically).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What are you guys referring to anamorphic on a streaming service?

Doesnt that only refer to dvd and also a type of lens used to film a movie?

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
What are you guys referring to anamorphic on a streaming service?

Doesnt that only refer to dvd and also a type of lens used to film a movie?

You may be right. Probably the wrong term to use. We're referring to a wide image windowboxed in a 4x3 frame. It looks like an old non-anamorphic DVD played on a 16x9 screen.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The only non-anamorphic film I've sampled so far has been the Soviet production of WAR AND PEACE. I was disappointed too, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt as it's a brand new service (and I'd rather have access to the movie in non-anamorphic form than not at all). But here's a technical question: I just purchased and plugged in an Amazon Fire Stick so I could enjoy FilmStruck on my HDTV... but so far every movie I've sampled has about 30 seconds of amazingly bad signal/artifacting before it "settles" down and gives me a nice HD image. Is this a problem with FilmStruck, Amazon Fire Stick, or my wifi? (my wifi signal is full strength). Note: HULU on my "smart" Sony Player never had this issue... but Netflix did (sporadically).
I have the DVD of WAR AND PEACE. It is anamorphic. It's baffling that they are showing non anamorphic .

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Now on Apple TV!

Very impressed by what I see. I am definitely doing the $99/yr subscription when my 14 day trial is over.

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
FILMSTRUCK worked for 2 days on my Apple TV. Now when I want play any film..It says "Regional Restriction". I called the help desk and they said they know there is a problem but do not know when it will be fixed...:-(

Attachments

• IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 93

Claus H

Auditioning
Real Name
Claus
In transition here, gear-wise, so:
I like the idea of Filmstruck, since that's my taste in films, but when will it run on a PS3? Still no word that I have seen.
Or, failing that (here's the transition part) will it already work directly on our to-be-delivered LG OLED b6?

C.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I like the idea of Filmstruck, since that's my taste in films, but when will it run on a PS3? Still no word that I have seen.
Or, failing that (here's the transition part) will it already work directly on our to-be-delivered LG OLED b6?

I just don't see their developers creating apps for a legacy game console or each individual model of TV, especially when you can get it on any number of popular streaming devices which can be had as cheaply as $30...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks